Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A TREELEAF EXPERIMENT: Three Sacred Sentences (Please Join Poll)

A TREELEAF EXPERIMENT: Three Sacred Sentences (Please Join Poll)

UPDATE: There is an ongoing poll on the practice, and your taking a moment would be a great help:

Members' Poll (Your Participation Requested): "Three Sacred Sentences"
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...cred-Sentences

Last edited by Jundo; 08-22-2020 at 07:57 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Another interesting experiment here at Treeleaf. Thank you Jundo.

I personally am going to go reread some Jane Austin and make note of how to spin paragraph length sentences full of whitticisms...

The gentlemen pronounced him (Mr. Darcy) to be a fine figure of a man, the ladies declared he was much handsomer than Mr. Bingley, and he was looked at with great admiration for about half the evening, till his manners gave a disgust which turned the tide of his popularity; for he was discovered to be proud, to be above his company, and above being pleased; and not all his large estate in Derbyshire could then save him from having a most forbidding countenance, and being unworthy to be compared to his friend.

(kidding)

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post

Doshin
    St
    Ah, you just said too much!

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Another interesting experiment here at Treeleaf. Thank you Jundo.

I personally am going to go reread some Jane Austin and make note of how to spin paragraph length sentences full of whitticisms...

(kidding)

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    I'm raising the stakes ; I give you - Henry James!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Oh. Well. Okay.

Gassho,

Kirk

sat.
    流文

I know nothing.

A nice idea. I will try my best

Gassho
    Ben
    Stlah

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    As a long-time fan of Henry James, I approve of this message. :-)

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Kyotai
    Sounds great.

Kyotai
    ST

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Too excessive - the forum already has a post length limit!

See also: William Faulkner (at times).

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #books!
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Anyone ever read Nietzsche in the original German where run-on sentences are quite common? Some of his sentences would span 2-3 pages. No joke!

Gassho,
    Rob

-st-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

The last chapter of Ulysses, by James Joyce. One sentence if I remember correctly.

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Not posted much this year due to family health issues. But if I do will keep this in mind. Thank you everyone.

Sat

Ooops just reopened to add "Sat" ..........will that count as one of the sentences
    Last edited by Seishin; 07-17-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

How long until people start breaking up long posts into 1/10, 2/10, etc. like they do on Twitter?

Gassho

Nenka
    ST

Matt
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Nenka View Post
    How long until people start breaking up long posts into 1/10, 2/10, etc. like they do on Twitter?

Gassho

Nenka
    ST
    hahaha - this place is the jedi council compared to Mos Eisley (that being twitter) lol

Gassho

Rish
    -stlah

Less is more

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    As a long-time fan of Henry James, I approve of this message. :-)

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    And I approve of yours!

Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    Being from the American South, I'll be reading Faulkner. MMMM--earthy.

Gassho,

Hobun

STLAH

Quote Originally Posted by Nenka View Post

Gassho

Nenka
    ST
    No, will wag a finger at too much of that, and I added "(of ordinary length)" to the description to cover Faulkner and friends.

This is how the Vinaya rule for monk behavior in India started off with a simple rule like "don't have sex," and soon ended up with pages and pages of rules about "and that includes not with a sack of rice" but "it's okay if asleep and you had sex in a dream but you didn't mean it, but not including if you went to sleep hoping it would happen in a dream, and further, the foregoing includes dreams about sacks of rice!"

So, let's keep the spirit of the rule!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-17-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    No, will wag a finger at too much of that, and I added "(of ordinary length)" to the description to cover Faulkner and friends.

This is how the Vinaya rule for monk behavior in India started off with a simple rule like "don't have sex," and soon ended up with pages and pages of rules about "and that includes not with a sack of rice" but "it's okay if asleep and you had sex in a dream but you didn't mean it, but not including if you went to sleep hoping it would happen in a dream, and further, the foregoing includes dreams about sacks of rice!"

Gassho, J

STLah

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Understood.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J

STLah
    Yeah sounds just like the journey of the policy manual at my clinic. Every year we revise it and add all the new creative sandbox rules we have been forced to come up with.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    By the way, I did not make up the content any of those Vinaya rules (although I don't think it literally says "bag of rice," it does list similar "inanimate objects"). Apparently, a few of those old monks came up with 101 ways to bend the rules on a lonely Tuesday night.

Intentional emission of semen, except while dreaming, entails initial and subsequent meetings of the Community. ... A bhikkhu causes an emission making an effort (1) at an internal object, (2) at an external object, (3) at both an internal and an external object, or (4) by shaking his pelvis in the air. It then goes on to explain these terms: The internal object is one’s own living body. External objects can either be animate or inanimate objects. ...

In making the exception for what happens while asleep, the Buddha states that even though there may be the intention to cause an emission, it doesn’t count. The Commentary goes on to say, however, that if a bhikkhu fully awakens in the course of a wet dream, he should lie still and be extremely careful not to make a move that would fulfill the factor of effort under this rule. If the process has reached the point where it is irreversible and the ejaculation occurs spontaneously, he incurs no penalty regardless of whether he enjoys it. ... However, the Commentary’s two cases concerning nocturnal emissions, mentioned above, indicate that if a nocturnal emission occurs after a bhikkhu made a fully intentional effort toward an emission before falling asleep, he would incur the full offense under this rule unless the effort and intent were clearly stopped with a clear change of heart while he was still awake.
    https://www.dhammatalks.org/vinaya/bmc/Section0011.html

And you guys think you have it rough just to use three sentences!?!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-18-2020 at 12:14 AM.

I consider it an excellent challenge in learning to write more intentionally.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Wonderful.

"Simple can be harder than complex: you have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple." - Steve Jobs (Wired, 1996)

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Interesting. What's the idea behind introducing this?

Gassho,
    Sam
    STLah

Old Teacher Old Artificer stand me now and ever in good stead.
    Tai Shi
    sat/ lah
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Sounds like a great experiment

Gassho,
    Seibu
    Sattoday

Gassho,

Tom,
    SAT/LAH

Interesting. What's the idea behind introducing this?
    It has been noted of late that the forum has become a bit chattersome so this is an attempt to just to focus minds on what is most important.

I'm debating on leaving America. I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
    And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;....Yeats
    Love that Yeats poem!

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
    Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
    There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
    And evening full of the linnet’s wings.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

"I heard this morning morning's minion" Hopkins. It resided in my swing through my own transitional pain as my starling beat its wing against my daughter's books she must endure-- it's my fault. I must endure my pain.
    Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho

First time here in a reaaaallllllly long time.
    My husband, who used to be my boyfriend, is thinking about joining.
    I should just sit now.

_/\_
    "The Girl Dragon Demon", the random Buddhist name generator calls me....you have been warned.

Feed your good wolf.

Nice to see you again, murasaki!

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Old Teacher Old Artificer stand me now and ever in good stead.
    I see what you did there.

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by murasaki View Post
    First time here in a reaaaallllllly long time.
    My husband, who used to be my boyfriend, is thinking about joining.
    I should just sit now.

_/\_
    good to see you again murasaki

Gassho

Sat today

And, what is important is zazen, only zazen -- the act that is no act, the resilience which depends on all, the paradox of humankind.
    Tai shi, sat, lah, Gassho

I like it.
    So far, so good.

Koki
    Satoday ��

The silent tea koan! I like the idea of having to pick your thoughts carefully, although i hope some leniency is allowed.
    Gassho
    Sat/lah
    David

Quote Originally Posted by serenewolf View Post
    The silent tea koan! I like the idea of having to pick your thoughts carefully, although i hope some leniency is allowed.
    Gassho
    Sat/lah
    David
    If it is absolutely, utterly and unavoidably necessary to say more for a certain saying ... than one is free to say what they need to say.

Gassho, J

STLah

I love it! <3

Gassho,
    Chris

hello,
    The majority of the folks who have responded here are from English speaking countries. I wonder what 'English-as-a-second-language-speakers' have to say about this? Does that complicate your ability to express yourself clearly?
    Just wondering...
    Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    hello,
    The majority of the folks who have responded here are from English speaking countries. I wonder what 'English-as-a-second-language-speakers' have to say about this? Does that complicate your ability to express yourself clearly?
    Just wondering...
    Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    hello,
    Just wondering...
    Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~
    Hello,
    I already have the feeling of not being able to express exactly what I mean in all its complexity, using English language.
    This experiment raises the effort and complexity for me and reduces the number of replies when I am having less time or energy.
    Maybe this is not a bad thing and teaches me English as much as it demands clearing my thoughts and reduces gossiping.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 07-23-2020 at 07:45 PM.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Kotei,

As Jundo said, if three sentences isn't enough to properly express what you would really like to say, you can add a couple more if you feel it is important.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    Kotei,

As Jundo said, if three sentences isn't enough to properly express what you would really like to say, you can add a couple more if you feel it is important.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah

I am going to extend the experiment a couple of more weeks, see if it might be a good feature to keep.

Please try to focus on three sentences to say what needs to be said ...

... but you do not have to limit yourself if you really, really need to say more.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

I have foreseen this!! I actually like it

gassho

risho
    -st

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    I have foreseen this!! I actually like it

gassho

risho
    -st