Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A TREELEAF EXPERIMENT: Three Sacred Sentences

I am going to extend the experiment a couple of more weeks, see if it might be a good feature to keep.

Please try to focus on three sentences to say what needs to be said ...

... but you do not have to limit yourself if you really, really need to say more.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I have foreseen this!! I actually like it

gassho

risho
    -st

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    I have foreseen this!! I actually like it

gassho

risho
    -st
    Now we just need to see ya try it!

Gassho, J

STLah

What do I do next?
    Three sentences here.

gassho
    shonin sat today and lah
    I'm a visiting unsui from Bird Haven Zendo. Take what I say with a box of salt. Mmm!

I respectfully wish to express my dislike of this new 3 sentence experiment. Not that I object to succinct, cohesive, coherent and pithy speech. But I am living in the U.S. under an enormous burden of restrictions (life saving they may be); maybe this one is one too many?
    sorry.

gassho,
    Anne
    ~lahst~

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    I respectfully wish to express my dislike of this new 3 sentence experiment. Not that I object to succinct, cohesive, coherent and pithy speech. But I am living in the U.S. under an enormous burden of restrictions (life saving they may be); maybe this one is one too many?
    sorry.

gassho,
    Anne
    ~lahst~
    No need to be sorry. Zen is all about dropping preferences. So this sounds like a great opportunity for more practice

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Mostly missing the mark.
    Its frustrating, When writing 5-7-5 haiku.
    But hitting the target is a joyful occasion .

Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    sorry.

gassho,
    Anne
    ~lahst~
    Like wearing a mask ... it keeps our "hot air" from reaching others.

Gassho, J

STLah

I like the three sentences. But then my natural tendency is to speak very little. If necessary, William Faulkner taught us that a single sentence can be very long, if you keep adding dependent clauses, which can be kind of a fun exercise, as long as one keeps in mind that such sentences, like the works of Faulkner himself, can be very challenging to read, though not the less valuable for the challenge, unless, like me, you're just going on and on and on keeping the letter of the 3 sentence law while violating its spirit.
    Gassho,
    Kyoshin
    Satlah

As an expert adherent to three sentence clause a couple of questions have come to mind: 1. is there a rollover sentence clause such that if I don't post for a couple days maybe I get 12 sentences? or 2. will this be the 11th precept?

Gassho

Risho
    -st

As an expert adherent to three sentence clause a couple of questions have come to mind: 1. is there a rollover sentence clause such that if I don't post for a couple days maybe I get 12 sentences? or 2. will this be the 11th precept?

Gassho

Risho
    -st
    The answer is no roll-overs and yes, you will be reborn as an earthworm if you don't.

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    The answer is no roll-overs and yes, you will be reborn as an earthworm if you don't.
    Ah! I see what you did there. Earthworms don't have fingers to type with...

Gassho,
    Rob

-st-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I don't see the point in continuing this to be honest ;
    I see few people taking it seriously or even trying to limit themselves.
    Disappointing.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Disappointing.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    Well, if it is popular, it may just require reminding people more often, and giving a look ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Disappointing.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    I like the idea as it forces people to think about what's really necessary to say (whether people actually know about it or remember is another issue entirely).

That being said, I do think 3 is a bit short, a lot of ideas/thoughts can be difficult to express adequately in only 3 sentences. I feel like 9 would be a better limit (it also still sticks with the theme of 3 that way). I'm aware there is the whole "unless absolutely necessary" clause to that, however I could potentially see some argument over what is deemed necessary.

Evan,
    Sat Today!
    Last edited by gaurdianaq; 07-31-2020 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Just going through life one day at a time!

Disappointing.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    I like it - but regardless of my preference - we need to do a better job of trying to adhere to this; I think the exception would be with the book club lol

Gassho

Rish
    -stlah

A TREELEAF EXPERIMENT: Three Sacred Sentences

Anyone who doesn’t participate in the exercise will never know what the benefit to their practice might have been. But our encounter with the exercise will bring unique opportunities for self-reflection and growth for each of us, regardless of what others are doing, if we allow it. Maybe ask the question, what is this exercise bringing up for ME, and how can I learn from it?

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Jakuden; 07-31-2020 at 07:46 PM.
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

I like it too. I’d like to see it continue.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    By the way, I did not make up the content any of those Vinaya rules (although I don't think it literally says "bag of rice," it does list similar "inanimate objects"). Apparently, a few of those old monks came up with 101 ways to bend the rules on a lonely Tuesday night.

https://www.dhammatalks.org/vinaya/bmc/Section0011.html

And you guys think you have it rough just to use three sentences!?!

Gassho, J

STLah
    The intricacy of detail for spiritual legislation against seminal emissions in the Vinaya in your quotation is hilarious. I remember reading a translation of Dogen's Shobogenzo I acquired during a Zen retreat at Mt. Shasta Abbey, California where the first few sections seemed very deep but before I knew it I was headlong in lavatory instructions about not making sordid noises in your stall and whatnot. I started to feel bogged down with the whole thing and didn't continue reading... so I'm wondering if you have any advice on getting through the weirder elements in Buddhist holy writ?

-Satoday-

I like this experiment as it challenges me to the point where I've started thinking about my speech IRL. I hope it continues too however when it comes to discussion of books and responding to questions unfortunately the reigns are off. In saying that I'll keep trying.
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    aka Anna Kissed
    Resident Anarchist.
    Pronouns:She/Her They/Them.
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.
    No Gods. No Masters.

Agreed. I'm in full favor of continuing the practice as long as we can all agree that there will be valid exceptions like the aforementioned book discussions.

Gassho,
    Rob

-st-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I like it - but regardless of my preference - we need to do a better job of trying to adhere to this; I think the exception would be with the book club lol

Gassho

Rish
    -stlah
    Yes, let's make an exception for the book club.

Would our book club leaders (Jakuden, Geika, Byokan and Shoka) feel free to announce there that the book club is unbound!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

I love the 3 sentences. Even when I go over the limit, it really makes me think carefully about what I say.

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshin View Post
    I love the 3 sentences. Even when I go over the limit, it really makes me think carefully about what I say.

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    This is exactly how I feel too ; further than thinking about how I say something, I also question my motives for posting - what am I contributing, is it necessary to the bigger picture, is it just more noise?
    A great ego checker and I'm glad to see it has so much support.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

This is exactly how I feel too ; further than thinking about how I say something, I also question my motives for posting - what am I contributing, is it necessary to the bigger picture, is it just more noise?
    A great ego checker and I'm glad to see it has so much support.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    absolutely! I have a big ego and really need this to help me do exactly what you are saying; is it helpful or am i just being argumentative or self aggrandizing both of which I am a master practitioner at lol

gassho

rish
    -stlah

If I understood half of Dr Heine's Dharma talk, I would be quite the scholar, and apparently there are several people in our Zendo who unserstand more than half of this talk. I believe we have several Buddhist scholars in our midsts who have taken vows well beyond me.
    Tai Shi
    sat/ lah
    Gassho
    The object of practice is not transcendence but transformation, yet ultimately we must transcend ourselves. (Elucidation of Dogen) in HOW TO RAISE AN OX

I'm back. Time to get back into the swing of things.

Gassho,
    Theophan
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by Theophan View Post

Gassho,
    Theophan
    ST

Gassho,
    Theophan
    ST
    Hi Theophan!! Good to see you!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

Gassho,
    Theophan
    ST
    right on! perfect timing with ango coming up!

gassho

risho
    stlah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12