Koan study

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snark
    • Jun 2020

Thank you all for your thoughts on koans. I don't actively use koans but I read a book a few months back which gave the instruction to use the question "who am i". I understand the possibly mystical idea of these questions and I am not into "mysticism". My practice is based around Shikantaza. But the question "who am I" finds its. way into my conscious thoughts many times each day. I am now able to approach my vanity, contempt, jealousy, etc. And I have the faith that I will become the person I believe I should be. I guess this is passive koan study.

Gassho,

dan.

Comment

• Jishin
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Snark
      Thank you all for your thoughts on koans. I don't actively use koans but I read a book a few months back which gave the instruction to use the question "who am i". I understand the possibly mystical idea of these questions and I am not into "mysticism". My practice is based around Shikantaza. But the question "who am I" finds its. way into my conscious thoughts many times each day. I am now able to approach my vanity, contempt, jealousy, etc. And I have the faith that I will become the person I believe I should be. I guess this is passive koan study.

Gassho,

dan.
      Jundo once told me to look at my driver's license to find out who I was when I was all wrapped up in emptiness questions such as who am I?

:-)

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

Comment

• Jishin
        • Oct 2012

Hi,

I am sorry if this has been asked before, or this in the wrong board.

I have been working with the question "who am I" for a few months now. Is anyone else working with a koan? If so how do you use them? Are you searching for an answer or set of answers? When is it time to move on?

Gassho,

dan.
        From Zoolander:

:-)

Comment

• Rich
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Jishin
          I love their school of thought.

My only problem is the time spent on getting to "things are just as they are."

The time spent is gone forever on What is this? Don't know...

What is this? Is just a method towake you from your dream.
          Time to waste?? There is no time

Sat
          _/_
          Rich
          MUHYO
          無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Jakuden
            • Jun 2015

Koan study

Originally posted by Rich

Sat
            Ha! Jishin’s statement and Rich’s reply gets to the heart of my own daily Koan. Thank you for the teaching guys!!

Deep Gassho
            Jakuden
            SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Jishin
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Rich

Sat
              Not 1 not 2.

If If I whack a what is master over the head he/she will wake up quickly to the fact that there is time and not just 1.

The time that it takes to completely drop 2 is wasted effort and this is the harmful part of koans, even the Korean ones, that I am talking about.

Comment

• Jishin
                • Oct 2012

Another way to look at the who am I question is the truth of the Heart Sutra.

Things have no bounderies yet a thinking thing with boundaries thinks about the Heart Sutra.

This is the fallacy of the Heart Sutra that is better addressed by not 1, not 2.

Comment

• Jundo
                  Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                  • Apr 2006

Jishin,

If you write 4 posts but back to back ... each less than 3 sentences, not 1 not 2 ... is that a technical infraction of the "3 Sentence Rule"??

Always pushing boundaries and testing the rules, my friend, yes?

This is how we start with a simple rule, and need to cover exceptions until we have the IRS Tax Code!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
                  Last edited by Jundo; 07-17-2020, 02:26 PM.
                  ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Jishin
                    • Oct 2012

[emoji1][emoji120]

Comment

• Risho
                      • May 2010

**Thank you to Rich, Jishin and other contributors to this post, and thank you Dan for asking this question (note: this is a meta-sentence to the thread and does not count as part of my 3 sentence limit lol)

In my humble opinion, the answer to this question is not what we say but what we do. Who are you? You show others and yourself by how you act, think, treat others and treat yourself. There is no answer, but the striving to answer that, adhere to the precepts (being a good human), getting better and better, refining over time with age like a fine wine is how we answer this koan; our practice is the answer to this question and, as long as you have a pulse, you will never stop working on this koan; it's how we engage with life.

Gassho

Risho
                      -stlah
                      Last edited by Risho; 07-17-2020, 05:01 PM.
                      Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

• Rich
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Jishin
                        Not 1 not 2.

If If I whack a what is master over the head he/she will wake up quickly to the fact that there is time and not just 1.

The time that it takes to completely drop 2 is wasted effort and this is the harmful part of koans, even the Korean ones, that I am talking about.

Ok thanks, i get it. You think koans are harmful.

I once felt the same

Sat
                        _/_
                        Rich
                        MUHYO
                        無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Comment

• Jundo
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Risho
                          **Thank you to Rich, Jishin and other contributors to this post, and thank you Dan for asking this question (note: this is a meta-sentence to the thread and does not count as part of my 3 sentence limit lol)

In my humble opinion, the answer to this question is not what we say but what we do. Who are you? You show others and yourself by how you act, think, treat others and treat yourself. There is no answer, but the striving to answer that, adhere to the precepts (being a good human), getting better and better, refining over time with age like a fine wine is how we answer this koan; our practice is the answer to this question and, as long as you have a pulse, you will never stop working on this koan; it's how we engage with life.

Gassho

Risho
                          -stlah
                          I'm sorry, I see no stated exceptions in the Code for "meta sentences" ....

... and your second paragraph both has a strange way of counting "4" as "3" and is an abuse of semi-colons!

"You show others and yourself by how you act, think, treat others [and so] the striving to [] adhere to the [Three Sentence Rule] is how we engage with life."

Gassho, J

STlah
                          Last edited by Jundo; 07-17-2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Snark
                            • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Risho

Gassho

Risho
                            -stlah
                            Risho, your humble opinion really hits the spot. The question "who am i" is the syntax of my conscience. Regardless.of my situation there is always a constant.

Gassho,

dan.

Comment

• Jundo
                              • Apr 2006

Risho, your humble opinion really hits the spot. The question "who am i" is the syntax of my conscience. Regardless.of my situation there is always a constant.

Gassho,

dan.
                              Apparently SOMEBODY understands the meaning of the "Three Sentence Koan." You pass this one, Dan.

Gassho, J

STLah

Comment

• Risho
                                • May 2010

Originally posted by Jundo
                                Apparently SOMEBODY understands the meaning of the "Three Sentence Koan." You pass this one, Dan.

Gassho, J

STLah
                                hahahaahahhah
                                Email: risho.treeleaf@gmail.com

Comment

Working...