Thread: Post-Zazen Munchies

Post-Zazen Munchies

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I can't seem to find a related thread.

Does anyone else ever become really hungry following Zazen? This has never been an issue for me until just these past couple of weeks.

I tend to sit in the evenings around 9:30pm my time. It doesn't happen every night, but at least 3-4 times per week, I become quite hungry after Zazen. And I mean truly, stomach-rumbling hungry (not just eating for pleasure). Eating anything that late at night is not something I'm fond of doing, so I'm trying to work through it. Sometimes simply having tea helps, but sometimes not. And I do eat a proper dinner before Zazen (usually around 6:00pm).

I find it hard to believe that Shikantaza burns hundreds of calories in 30 minutes. If it does, then we may be on to something.

Any/all advice and thoughts are welcome.

Gassho,
    Rob

-st-

Well, a good time to practice a bit of self-regulation and stepping past desires.

Avoid after dinner snacks. That is both health and spiritual advice.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

While I generally agree with Jundo about not snacking after dinner, if you truly become stomach-rumbling hungry, I'd say grab a piece of fruit or some vegetables to give yourself a bit of healthy fiber. Be grateful for it and enjoy the flavor. Sometimes a simple snack is all the better after sitting.

Nenka
    who is getting better at not scarfing down shredded cheese before bedtime

ST

Great advice Jundo and Nenka. Thank you. I certainly agree that it is another good opportunity to practice. I just found it to be an interesting phenomenon and was wondering if it had been experienced by others. It's all just grist for the mill, I suppose.

Gassho,
    Rob

-st-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

I sit first thing in the morning before breakfast. While sitting my stomach sounds like a 40 piece orchestra tuning up. It has gotten to the point where these sounds have to be incorporated into the practice. I usually sit a second time early evening and I too get the munchies afterward so I usually have a small healthy snack. Im not sure there's a correlation between sitting and hunger.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Reminds me of sitting at the Monastery when you are on your 3rd hour of Zazen and you can smell breakfast in the air... then the chanting and the Oryoki... hunger heightens the appreciation of the meal and the ceremony so much!

If I get a late evening hunger pang that bad, I know it will actually interfere with a good night's sleep (sometimes I will even dream of food!) so my go-to is fruit or air-popped popcorn.

Gassho,
    jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you Shoki and Jakuden. All very good advice.

Gassho,
    Rob

-st-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)