Thread: Zoom and Zazen

Zoom and Zazen

Hi,

Is it possible to watch a zazen group without joining it? I don't have a webcam but would like to sit along.

Gassho,

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Snark View Post
    Hi,

Is it possible to watch a zazen group without joining it? I don't have a webcam but would like to sit along.

Gassho,

S.
    Hi Snark,

(Snark, would you mind to sign a human first name to your posts instead of just "S"? It helps keep things a little more human around here. A Dharma Name is also welcome if someone has undertaken Jukai. Eventually, when you feel comfortable, we will ask for some human face picture too for the same reason).

Yes, all of our Zazen sittings are via Zoom, and you can join either by watching "one way" if a screen is posted in the thread (that is not for all sittings) or by coming into the Zoom room without a camera and mike. You are welcome to do so. Here is an example of our weekly Friday/Saturday Zazenkai, and you can see how it looks. ....

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-Casual-Friday

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-22-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo.

I will upload a photograph to my profile, thanks for the nudge.

Gassho,

Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by Snark View Post
    Thank you, Jundo.

I will upload a photograph to my profile, thanks for the nudge.

Gassho,

Brendan.
    Lovely to look you in the eye, Brendan. Thank you.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLentAHand
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Yesterday I may or may not have joined the Free Sitting Room or I might simply have opened a zoom screen? Wherever I was I was the only person there as no other screens appeared based on the assumption that I would see a screen for anyone else who was present?
    Given that this is a shared computer only ever signed in with my google account and id how do I customise my TL zoom screen to show my TL user name rather than computer name?
    Will this stay as a setting on TL or do I have to fix this every time or heaven forbid my wife signs into her Pilates class with my TL user name?

Gassho
    M

sat

Quote Originally Posted by matzukaze View Post
    Yesterday I may or may not have joined the Free Sitting Room or I might simply have opened a zoom screen? Wherever I was I was the only person there as no other screens appeared based on the assumption that I would see a screen for anyone else who was present?
    Given that this is a shared computer only ever signed in with my google account and id how do I customise my TL zoom screen to show my TL user name rather than computer name?
    Will this stay as a setting on TL or do I have to fix this every time or heaven forbid my wife signs into her Pilates class with my TL user name?

Gassho
    M

sat
    Hi! Depending on the time, there’s a chance no one was there, so you wouldn’t see anyone else on screen. It happens! If anyone comes in a sound will play, but we generally continue sitting, unbothered. It is not necessary to turn and see who’s arrived or to bow to them.

Once zoom is opened, there’s preferences available and those include the username shown! They are probably placed in different placed for mac or windows users! You can set it once or every time you join, in case of a shared computer. Maybe create a zoom account and log into that before joining the free sitting room and then the mrs can use her own account.

Sorry for length

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Bion

Thanks for your reply.
    I made another visit today and found the 'change name' bit.
    I am still unclear as to whether I have changed the user name in Zoom on TL or my Zoom App.
    Time will tell.

gassho
    M
    sat

Quote Originally Posted by michaelw View Post
    Bion

Thanks for your reply.
    I made another visit today and found the 'change name' bit.
    I am still unclear as to whether I have changed the user name in Zoom on TL or my Zoom App.
    Time will tell.

gassho
    M
    sat
    I believe it changes on the app itself, not just in the room, but I am not entirely sure! Just make sure you check
    What time of the day do you sit?

sat today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Michael

The username is specific to the application and not the "meeting" or room you are attending. I normally use my Dharma name but use the same session for Online Open Mics and change my name accordingly. However, I tend to forget to switch it back afterwards but my Treeleaf friends I sit with (In the SSR) have got used to this slip on my part now. For interest we gather in the SSR around 0715-0815 Central European time if you would like to join us, no formality come and leave as you please, just bow in and out.

Sat for peace

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart