Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 93 and 94

"Simple Living" - Chapters 93 and 94

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 93 - Notice The Changes Of The Season - Go outside and really notice evidence of the passing season: If it is Spring, look at the flowers to notice how they are different in late instead of early spring, or in early spring from the end of winter, or how the trees are different in winter from the fall. Master Dogen wrote in Genjo Koan, "We do not think that winter becomes spring, and we do not say that spring becomes summer." Each is just wholly its own moment. And yet, and yet, time passes. Look closely, observe, can you see the time passing AND the "wholly this timeless moment"?

Chapter 94 - Try Taking Care Of Something - Tend to something, grow something, water something if it is that time of year for you (I am reminded that the summer in the northern hemisphere is the winter for our Australian/NZ, Chilean and other members). If it is not the time of year to grow, still, take a few minutes to care for and beautify something outside, maybe around where you live or the surrounding neighborhood.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

It's funny I hadn't really noticed summer is here, but it is. I enjoyed the hot sun, the too-cold office air conditioning, the stuffy car, mosquitoes and fireflies. The bee balm is blooming, and the purple coneflowers are about to.

And did I mention the fireflies?

Gassho

Nenka
    ST
    Last edited by Nenka; 06-19-2020 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Darn you, auto correct