Thread: Children aren't born Racist

Children aren't born Racist

I found this short article interesting and in keeping with Buddhist ideas on who we are and how we become so, and how our self-identity is a construct in so many ways.

Children need not be like their parents or grandparents.

I always say that Zen is about dropping "divisions and judgments from mind." Certainly, there are some divisions and judgments which we can particularly learn to do without.

===========

Children aren't born racist. Here's how parents can stop them from becoming racist.

Some parents of white kids, meanwhile, fear they'll raise children who will grow up to be racist -- if not the kind of racist who suffocates a man with a knee to the neck, then the kind who will quietly commit microaggressions.

How, they wonder, can we raise kids to be anti-racist?

The first step is understanding where racism comes from -- the underlying psychological and cognitive functions that lead us to see and categorize people by color, according to May Ling Halim, associate professor of psychology at California State University, Long Beach, and Sarah Gaither, assistant professor psychology and neuroscience at Duke University.

Babies as young as three months can distinguish faces by color, and 3-year-olds are fully capable of understanding racial categories, and even the hierarchies that come with them. The trick is to accept that this categorization is normal, and to keep it from mutating into racism.
    https://us.cnn.com/2020/06/06/health...ess/index.html

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-07-2020 at 04:07 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

True Story: I had a relative, many, many years ago, who was the mother of a young son. She decided to sit him down and discuss race. The family, at the time was all white. The neighborhood, schools, friends, all white. You barely saw a black face on television back then.

So she sits him down and tells him that people come in all different colors. White, black, brown, etc. and that everybody is equal and you need to be kind and fair to everybody and not judge based on color. The whole lecture trying to get him in the right direction.

A few days later they are in the grocery store and the kid sees what might be the first actual black person he's ever seen walking toward them in the aisle. The kid points at the person and loudly says, "Hey ma! Look! There's one of those black people you told me about!"

Gassho
    Stlah
    James

Unfortunately there are still too many people who won't give up their constructed identities because it would put them on a par with the so-called outsiders. Ever since this coronavirus came around my daughter experienced two serious accounts of racism in public. Local teenage boys yelling at her to get the **** back to China while taking a walk in the park only because she's got a tan and long black hair. This happened twice within six weeks. People are scared, they catch certain vibes in the neighborhood and as soon as it seems acceptable enough to point a finger at a certain group they will. There's a lot of justification involved.

I will keep my political horses in check here but I am so glad that these four MN cops are going to be prosecuted.

Gassho
    Seibu
    Sattoday
    Last edited by Seibu; 06-07-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Jane Elliot, a 3rd grade teacher in 1968, the day after Martin Luther King was assassinated, began an experiment with her class on racism: the brown eye/ blue eye experiment teaching her children about prejudice.
    Here's a list of videos interviewing her, choose one if you are interested in this amazing experiment and amazing woman.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=jane...w=1680&bih=907

And here's an article in the Smithsonian about this groundbreaking project and how it was received.
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...time-72754306/

The Sam Cooke A Change is Gonna Come video is heartbreaking.

My parents were both disguised racists. And that is heartbreaking...

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    Jane Elliot, a 3rd grade teacher in 1968, the day after Martin Luther King was assassinated, began an experiment with her class on racism: the brown eye/ blue eye experiment teaching her children about prejudice.
    Here's a list of videos interviewing her, choose one if you are interested in this amazing experiment and amazing woman.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=jane...w=1680&bih=907

And here's an article in the Smithsonian about this groundbreaking project and how it was received.
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...time-72754306/

The Sam Cooke A Change is Gonna Come video is heartbreaking.

My parents were both disguised racists. And that is heartbreaking...

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~
    Jane Elliot's video is a must watch for everyone I reckon. Incredible Woman and an incredibly powerful experiment.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.