Thread: Metta (Loving Kindness) for All in Social Unrest

Metta (Loving Kindness) for All in Social Unrest

Today, during our Sangha's Zazen gathering, we recited a chant of Metta (Loving Kindness), seeking peace, safety, stillness, health and kindness for --all-- in this time of social unrest in America and elsewhere.

We chant for the peaceful protesters and for members of social groups who feel victimized and abused by the system. But we also chant for looters and the angry violent people who burn and destroy.

We chant for all police, both those who do wrong and great harm, and the many who do not, merely seeking to better the community.

We chant for political leaders, both those who we personally support and those we cannot at all and believe are doing great damage.

We even chant for the truly bigoted, racist and hate filled, and those with lesser prejudices and biases of any kind (which includes all of us to some degree).

Some may find it hard to understand how we can wish peace, safety, stillness, health, contentment and kindness upon racists, police officers who kill with excess force, the hate-filled and violent. It is simple. We chant with the wish that they were not so, that others like them would turn from such ways. We believe that if such people were truly at peace, truly accepting, truly healthy in mind and body, truly filled with kindness, then they would not act in such angry, racist, violent, abusive ways. That is how we chant even for those who act so badly and do others, or ourselves, harm.

Our Metta Chant at Treeleaf goes (using sometimes "they" and sometimes "we," recognizing that we all have the potential to be poisoned by anger and divided thinking):

May we be free of suffering; may we feel safe and still.

May we be free of enmity; may we be loving, grateful and kind.

May we be healthy and at ease in all our ills.

May we be at peace, embracing all conditions of life.

Please recite with us. Doing so can bring feelings of peace, safety, stillness, acceptance and kindness to your heart too.

Let us remedy injustices, correct wrongs, while bringing peace and non-violence to our society too.

Sometimes people ask if there is real power in the chant. Well, if we put out words of hate and division on the internet, it certainly has power to cause hurt and division on the other side of the world among those who read it. So, just the same for words of kindness and unity, which have some power to heal.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-06-2020 at 09:03 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Deep bows Jundo for this practice of peace.

Gassho, Chris stlah

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Deep bows.
    Gassho
    Van
    Sat _/\_

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Metta to all of us.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you. I have been working on my Metta practice, trying to use loving-kindness to improve my perspective and motivate my actions.

Deep bows
    Gassho
    krissy
    sat
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Thank you Jundo.

Initially I was pretty resistant to reciting Metta for the difficult person. Sure I’d go through the motions (fake it until you make it). Over time I have come to reciting Metta quite naturally and instinctively for those people I find difficult. I think it was the Zazenkai when you put Trump on the altar and asked us to bow that really crystallized the importance of this part of the practice for me.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Ghasso
    Bobby
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just Sit

Metta to all

ST

Gassho,
    Washin
    st-lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Man, has this been my go-to practice for the past couple years.

Gassho

Nenka
    ST

Thank you, Jundo, for leading us through this beautiful practice. It is so important for the situation.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

My best Metta comes from following Jack Kornfielf as he takes the lead. Metta to all we all need it these days, not just unrest believe in your doctors, and nurses.
    Tai Shi
    sat
    Lah
    Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thank you rev. Jundo. I chanted along with you, and I felt the power of these sentiments.

Gasho, b.

I really like this idea although I'm new to metta.
    I will work to include this in my practice.
    Thanks, Jundo.

Gassho,
    steve
    sat today/lent a hand

Quote Originally Posted by adahee View Post
    I really like this idea although I'm new to metta.
    I will work to include this in my practice.
    Thanks, Jundo.

Gassho,
    steve
    sat today/lent a hand
    It is a lovely practice, Steve. If you would like some information on Metta as a daily practice, usually with loved ones and friends, strangers and difficult folks in mind, here is some information ...

RECOMMENDED DAILY Metta PRACTICE
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Metta-PRACTICE

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Through my first week of recovery Metta was essential-- I began Metta the third day because the first two I was too sick; I attempted any meditation or sitting those first few days away from the opiate, and what I found was that nothing was possible and then Metta was the first to return. I believe Metta is faith founded on the possibility of reality. Try it is the most desperate of realities. My steadiness of hand is returning based on a logic of faith.
    Tai Shi
    sat/ lah
    LAH was the first to return to a good friend,
    "Wasn't it working for ya?" "No Shawn, it wasn't. You?" "No I gave that up a while back."
    I ask you, who helped who? LAH has returned
    I have regained or for the first time; Metta,
    Tai Shi
    calm poetry, with more to go-- listen to doctor!
    Gassho
    Deep bows.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆