Thread: Next Book Club Selection: Zen Women by Grace Schireson

Next Book Club Selection: Zen Women by Grace Schireson

Our next selection will be "Zen Women", by Grace Schireson.
    Grace Schireson is a Dharma teacher in the Suzuki Roshi lineage empowered by Sojun Mel Weitsman, abbot of Berkeley Zen Center. She has also been empowered to teach koans by Keido Fukushima Roshi, chief abbot of Tofukuji Monastery in Kyoto Japan. Grace is the head teacher of the Central Valley Zen Foundation and has founded and leads three Zen groups and a Zen retreat center, in California. Grace is also a clinical psychologist who has specialized in women and families. Married for over forty years, she has two sons and three grandchildren.

Other books by Grace Schireson:
    Zen Bridge
    Naked in the Zendo

Through exploring the teachings and history of Zen’s female ancestors, from the time of the Buddha to ancient and modern female masters in China, Korea, and Japan, Grace Schireson offers us a view of a more balanced Dharma practice, one that is especially applicable to our complex lives, embedded as they are in webs of family relations and responsibilities, and the challenges of love and work.

Part I of this book describes female practitioners as they are portrayed in the classic literature of “Patriarchs’ Zen”—often as “tea-ladies,” bit players in the drama of male students’ enlightenments; as “iron maidens,” tough-as-nails women always jousting with their male counterparts; or women who themselves become “macho masters,” teaching the same Patriarchs’ Zen as the men do. Part II of this book presents a different view—a view of how women Zen masters entered Zen practice and how they embodied and taught Zen uniquely as women. This section examines many urgent and illuminating questions about our Zen grandmothers: How did it affect them to be taught by men? What did they feel as they trying to fit into this male practice environment, and how did their Zen training help them with their feelings? How did their lives and relationships differ from that of their male teachers? How did they express the Dharma in their own way for other female students? How was their teaching consistently different from that of male ancestors? And then part III explores how women’s practice provides flexible and pragmatic solutions to issues arising in contemporary Western Zen centers.

We are hoping for a lively discussion that transcends all gender boundaries

Here is the link to directly purchase the book from Wisdom Publications. We are probably going to aim to begin group discussion in the book circle on July 26.
    https://wisdomexperience.org/product/zen-women/

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thank you Jakuden

I look forward to this journey...

Gassho, Chris stlah

Jakuden,

This book looks like it will put me in truly unfamiliar territory. I will definitely participate.

Gassho,

Hobun

STLAH

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hi Jakuden,

That sounds like a great selection. I'm looking forward to joining the discussion.

Gassho,
    Rob

SatToday

There is a well thumbed copy in the hut. I'll make tea. _()_

gassho
    shonin sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: salt liberally.

Ordered.
    Thank you.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Love Grace Schireson, huzzah!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Jakuden,

That sounds like a great work to have in my library, I've ordered a copy and I look forward to everyone's insights and discussion

Gassho,

Joshua
    SatToday/LaH

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

On order.

Bows
    Anne

~st~

I'm desperately hoping to be able to afford and purchase a hard copy of this book. It's been on my wish list since I started my Treeleaf Zen Buddhism journey just over a year ago.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    I'm desperately hoping to be able to afford and purchase a hard copy of this book. It's been on my wish list since I started my Treeleaf Zen Buddhism journey just over a year ago.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    If there is financial hardship, anyone can PM me or one of the priests and we arrange something. Have no hesitation to ask.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I’ll be reading along.

Gassho
    Kevin
    ST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonderful! I look forward to reading with you all!
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah

I was able to find mine used, for a total of $10 with shipping. If anyone wants some help finding a cheap option, I can PM some links.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I am looking forward to reading with you all.

Gassho,
    Guille

Sat today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    A (barely) used copy arrived this week. Yay!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you, Jakuden. I'm about to order a copy and look forward to the discussion.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Bump!

Just a reminder, dear Readers, that we'll begin reading our next Book Club selection this coming Sunday, July 26th.

Our next selection will be "Zen Women", by Grace Schireson.
    Grace Schireson is a Dharma teacher in the Suzuki Roshi lineage empowered by Sojun Mel Weitsman, abbot of Berkeley Zen Center. She has also been empowered to teach koans by Keido Fukushima Roshi, chief abbot of Tofukuji Monastery in Kyoto Japan. Grace is the head teacher of the Central Valley Zen Foundation and has founded and leads three Zen groups and a Zen retreat center, in California. Grace is also a clinical psychologist who has specialized in women and families. Married for over forty years, she has two sons and three grandchildren.

Other books by Grace Schireson:
    Zen Bridge
    Naked in the Zendo

Through exploring the teachings and history of Zen’s female ancestors, from the time of the Buddha to ancient and modern female masters in China, Korea, and Japan, Grace Schireson offers us a view of a more balanced Dharma practice, one that is especially applicable to our complex lives, embedded as they are in webs of family relations and responsibilities, and the challenges of love and work.

Part I of this book describes female practitioners as they are portrayed in the classic literature of “Patriarchs’ Zen”—often as “tea-ladies,” bit players in the drama of male students’ enlightenments; as “iron maidens,” tough-as-nails women always jousting with their male counterparts; or women who themselves become “macho masters,” teaching the same Patriarchs’ Zen as the men do. Part II of this book presents a different view—a view of how women Zen masters entered Zen practice and how they embodied and taught Zen uniquely as women. This section examines many urgent and illuminating questions about our Zen grandmothers: How did it affect them to be taught by men? What did they feel as they trying to fit into this male practice environment, and how did their Zen training help them with their feelings? How did their lives and relationships differ from that of their male teachers? How did they express the Dharma in their own way for other female students? How was their teaching consistently different from that of male ancestors? And then part III explores how women’s practice provides flexible and pragmatic solutions to issues arising in contemporary Western Zen centers.

We are hoping for a lively discussion that transcends all gender boundaries

Here is the link to directly purchase the book from Wisdom Publications. We are probably going to aim to begin group discussion in the book circle on July 26.
    https://wisdomexperience.org/product/zen-women/

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    All are welcome, hope to see you here!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat+lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Really looking forward to this book.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.