Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 89 and 90

"Simple Living" - Chapters 89 and 90

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 89 - There Is Not Just One Way, Either - Sit once with a Koan, Rinzai style, for one Zazen period. For example, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" or "What was my original face before my mother and father were born?" Don't reason about it, just hold it in mind and stay with it for the entire period. How is that?

Chapter 90 - Don't Be A Show-Off - In a social situation in which you are rather powerful, confident or influential, at home or work, as a customer in a store, be extremely humble, soft-spoken and self-effacing one time, yielding to others. (If you are naturally always soft-spoken and self-effacing, try a bit more confidence in the situation even if as if acting a confident role.) How does it change the experience and how others related to you?

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-28-2020 at 05:30 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you. I will try these. I am normally shy and reserved, so maybe I will try to be more confident with my words or speaking when I have something to say, instead of holding it in.

I was able to get a small, used book of Koans at a nearby bookstore last year, so I will find one to think about for my next sit.

satlah
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Quote Originally Posted by krissydear View Post
    I will find one to think about for my next sit.
    Not "think about." More like holding a precious baby in one's arms with just presence and love, not anything to think.

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you Jundo,

I never tried koans before. Will try in my morning sit tomorrow...
    Not having koans at hand I will use the "What was my original face before my mother and father were born?" you suggested.

Gassho/SatToday
    流道
    Ryū Dou

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    Thank you Jundo,

I never tried koans before. Will try in my morning sit tomorrow...
    Not having koans at hand I will use the "What was my original face before my mother and father were born?" you suggested.

Gassho/SatToday
    Yes, we are not doing Koans as a really serious practice or attempt. It is just a little fun. Like someone picking up a tennis racket with no teacher or lessons, just to see what happens and knock the ball around.

Tennis Koan: What is the net without two sides? What happens when the court is inside the ball?

Gassho, J

STLah

MU!

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    MU!

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    May as well go with a classic. I’ll sit with Mu at least once this week.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Sorry. I am new here. Will write some introduction later. But what book is this about ?

Kyotaku
    Mountains are waters and waters are mountains ............

Quote Originally Posted by Kyotaku View Post
    Sorry. I am new here. Will write some introduction later. But what book is this about ?

Kyotaku
    Welcome Kyotaku!

In the first posting of this series, you can find a bit more about the book: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...apters-1-and-2
    "The Art of Simple Living: 100 Daily Practices from a Japanese Zen Monk for a Lifetime of Calm and Joy" by Rev. Shunmyo Masuno

I have a book about the garden designs of Shunmyo Masuno and fell in love with quite some of them.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thanks a lot. Will look at it.

Thank you Jundo.

I remember I had sat doing Hua-tou (head word) practice years ago for certain period
    then shifted to Shikantaza. "Who am I?" seemed to work well for me.

Now a time to try sit one session of Zazen with a Koan as you suggest

In my daily activities I sometimes pick this: This way doesn't help; that way doesn't help,
    either way doesn't help; now what?

Usually I am humble and polite while in social situations. So I'll try to bring even more confidence
    to this.

Gassho
    Washin
    st-lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

What is the abbreviation LAH

What is the abbreviation LAH
    Hi Kyotaku,

Welcome again.

We encourage (purely optional) our members to do a good deed a day for others, and to put LAH by their signature to mean so. They are encouraged not to disclose what the deed was, big or small. Or they can post about it anonymously.

You can read more here:

A TREELEAF EXPERIMENT with EVERYONE’S PARTICIPATION REQUESTED: “LAH” (Lend A Hand)
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Lend-A-Hand%29

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLentAHand

Thanks again. I like the intention.
    Will try too.

Thanks again. I like the intention.
    Will try too.
    Actually, Hans, I would say not to do this exercise, since it is not our normal practice and you are new here.

Please first review the "We're All Beginners" videos, and see about how we sit Shikantaza here. Do that first.

A SERIES OF TALKS FOR NEW FOLKS
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...-FOR-NEW-FOLKS

Gassho, Jundo

STLah