Thread: May 8-9th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Introducing 'Tea Time'!

May 8-9th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Introducing 'Tea Time'!

We will be having an informal and friendly 'TEA TIME' most weeks following Zazen. All are invited. Details in the post below.

ALSO: PLEASE NOTE NEW PROCEDURE TO SIT LIVE 'ONE WAY' WITHOUT A CAMERA.
    Basically, you simply join the Zoom sitting room at the link and password below, but keep your camera off.

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE AFTER OUR SITTING:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS -0- MlNUTEs FROM START OF THE VIDEO

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, THERE lS A LlNK BELOW AT THE BOTTOM OF THlS POST. JUST CLICK AND JOIN BEFORE START TIME. 'TWO WAY' REQUIRES INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANYONE CAN JOIN LIVE 'ONE WAY' WITHOUT A CAMERA AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE BELOW LINK JUST BY KEEPING YOUR CAMERA TURNED OFF. EVERYONE, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 – .......... Informal Tea Time

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some deep standing bows in sets of three (please follow along with me), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone turned off). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

HOW TO JOIN THE ZAZENKAI LIVE '1-WAY' or '2-WAY':

You can join the Zazenkai two-way in the Scheduled Sitting Room using Zoom any one of the following ways:

- Use this direct link: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244
    - Open Zoom and join with this meeting id: 483 483 1244
    - Go to Treeleaf NOW and select the Scheduled Sitting Room: treeleaf.org/ssr
    - If prompted for a password, use: dogen

Notes:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- You can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / tic-tac-toe style view):
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

-- If you want to see but not be seen, it is fine to simply keep your camera turned off and join us '1-way.'

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to say hi and bow to everyone)
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-09-2020 at 04:47 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Dear All,

We are going to start a totally informal, relaxed TEA TIME after the end of Zazen. No formalities, no rules, just friends and chit-chat. All are invited, but only if you want to hang out a bit.

It is BYOT (Bring Your Own Tea ... or coffee ... or warm milk ... or lemonade ... or any other non-alcoholic beverage of your choosing). Cookies ok too.

It will last about 15 or 20 minutes after Zazen (mostly because, me ... Jundo Papa ... needs to be in daddy mode for my daughter after). Also, it won't be weeks of our 4-Hour Zazenkai on the first Saturday for same reason ... though other folks can hangout without me!

We'll go around the group, see if anyone has any news to report. No obligation to say much.

In a Zen monastery, there is often a very formal kind of tea ceremony each day called "sarei" (茶礼) ... or "tea ritual" ...

THIS AIN'T THAT!

We're just hanging out for a few minutes, friendly like.

See you there, if ya have time to spare.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-08-2020 at 04:40 AM.

Afternoon tea? Splendid idea Sir! I hope to partake...

I am an Englishman, after all...

A doff of the cap and a Gassho,

Chris stlah
    Last edited by Yokai; 05-08-2020 at 06:09 AM.

I hope I am home early enough to catch at least the second half and the first tea time.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Sounds simply great!
    Intentions for joining you all and with tea of course!

Gassho.
    Arya.
    ST&LAH.

Hi Jundo!

If work allows it, I'll be there.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi all,

Sorry to miss tea but I will be sitting the session tomorrow, but as ever of course I will there with y'all in spirit.

Gassho 🙏,

Neilio

SAT/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See you all soon!

Also this:

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I'm heading there now if someone wants a quick chat. Will try to stick around. Love the cuppa tea concept.
    Onka
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thanks everyone.

Unable to stay for tea since “unstable” connection. Often you were all frozen on screen and voices distorted. But the sitting part worked perfectly.

Be safe out there

Doshin
    St

Sitting in the empty teacup

gassho
    shonin sat today/lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you everyone. It was a pleasure to sit with you and to share a slice of life.

Gassho

Chris stlah

As expected I needed to bail veeeeerrryyy early. I got a little too excited at having a quick chat with Shonin and then seeing Kyonin that I lost control of my breathing and had to quickly jump into some Ventolin Burst Therapy and other stuff before sitting (slumping) for a bit to get things under control again. Then I was pooped but to see all of your faces again was the most beautiful thing in the world today. I've really got to learn more about technology so I can have much needed chats and interactions with you all.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST/Still kickin'.
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Onka, send an emailaddy to risasb at geemail if you like, for zoom invites but also so we can penpal if your situation limits speech. _()_

gassho
    shonin sat today and lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Sat thank you

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Wonderful to sit with all of you, and to get to know each other in a more at the end.

Jundo, thank you for your remarks on tea. I enjoyed your talk as usual.

Gassho,

Nanrin
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Sat with the recording, it was great to see all of your faces! Thank you for being a part of my practice and I had a cup of Bodhidharma's eyelids across time!

Gassho,

Joshua
    SatToday/LaH

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning. It is snowing here today.

Now to have my morning

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Sat this morning. Thank you to all.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei just sat.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you all!
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah

Hi everyone,

Thanks for a wonderful session together as ever. I trust that the teahouse was a roaring success.

I sat with a roaring gale joining me.

Dancing universe.

Gassho 🙏,

Neilio

SAT\LAH

Sat yesterday via YouTube.

Will try 1-way option sometime, maybe even warm milk. I'm up at 4am daily, but I don't sleep much (so my family says).

Gassho, meian, st

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi, and everybody. I just sat with this zazenkai this afternoon. I loved the talk about tea and the universe. Hope everyone is having a great week.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Lovely! Thank you all and hope you enjoyed the tea!

I am going to have some now.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

I finished the zazenkai this morning and drank tea with you all. As a Brit I can never let my blood/tea level drop low anyway.

Gassho

Heiso

StLah

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk