Thread: Treeleaf Spring Retreat 2020 - Main Page

Treeleaf Spring Retreat 2020 - Main Page

Welcome to the 2020 Spring Retreat Main Page

We are very pleased to be able to come together this weekend for a retreat. Unlike other events, the Spring retreat is an "always live" event, it will run just over 24 hours straight! No matter your time zone, no matter for what duration, please join us LIVE!

Below you will find the detailed schedule for the retreat. The monthly 4-hour zazenkai will kick off the event, and it's page is here This will be the only portion of the retreat which is recorded.

While there is an extensive schedule below, we don't want anyone to sit with us for the whole 24 hours. Please join us as you can, and feel free to build your own retreat joining us for portions when it is possible. Some might join for one sitting, or do some samu with the kids, others maybe able to join for several hours at a time. The point is to join as you can, where you can, when and how you can. Take what life is giving you right now and make it a part of the retreat. We are all in this together and it is all a part of practice.

OF COURSE, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION ... if the sitting ever feels too much, be sure to walk lots and lots of Kinhin (even if during a sitting period). And if the whole retreat becomes too much, or you feel ill, you may slow down ... , spread things out, shorten the sittings ... or STOP! Be sure that you have someone close by whom you can call, or who can check on you from time to time. If there is any question about health, do not take any chances!

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE RETREAT CHANT BOOK, PLEASE PRINT IT OUT FOR REFERENCE
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdouhmqwcg...Guide.pdf?dl=0

Spring Retreat Schedule:

IF YOU HAVE A RAKUSU OR OKESA, PLEASE RECITE THE ROBE VERSE AND PUT IT ON PRIOR TO THE ZAZENKAI AS USUAL.

All Times are approximate, calculated from UK Time (Pacific Time in parenthesis).
    All activities will be in the Scheduled Sitting Room unless otherwise noted.
    All activities are now listed in the calendar / NOW.

Unit 1: Start of Retreat 4-Hour Zazenkai
    Sat 12:00 midnight (Fri 4:00 pm PT) – Sat Sat 4:00 am (Fri 8:00 pm PT)

12:00 - 12:50: Ceremony (Heart Sutra in Japanese/Sandokai/Male Ancestors in English) & Zazen
    12:50 - 01:00: Kinhin
    01:00 - 01:30: Zazen
    01:30 - 01:50: Kinhin

01:50 - 02:30: Dharma Talk & Zazen
    02:30 - 02:40: Kinhin & Hokey-Pokey

02:40 - 03:15: Zazen
    03:15 - 03:30: Kinhin
    03:30 – 03:50: Metta Chant & Zazen, Verse of Atonement, Four Vows

Unit 2: Sitting
    Sat 4:00 am (Fri 8:00 pm PT) - Sat 5:50 am (Fri 9:50 pm PT)

4:00 - 4:25: Zazen
    4:25 - 4:30: Kinhin
    4:30 - 4:50: Zazen
    4:50 - 5:00: Kinhin
    5:00 - 5:25: Zazen
    5:25 - 5:30: Kinhin
    5:30 - 5:50: Zazen

Unit 3: Rest Period
    Sat 6:00 am (Fri 10:00 pm PT) - Sat 6:50 am (Fri 10:50 pm PT)

Take a break

Unit 4: Sitting
    Sat 7:00 am (Fri 11:00 pm PT) - Sat 8:50 am (Sat 12:50 midnight PT)

7:00 - 7:25: Zazen
    7:25 - 7:30: Kinhin
    7:30 - 7:50: Zazen
    7:50 - 8:00: Kinhin
    8:00 - 8:25: zazen
    8:25 - 8:30: Kinhin
    8:30 - 8:50: Zazen

Unit 5: Oryoki
    Oryoki: Sat 9:00 am (Sat 1:00 am PT) - Sat 10:00 am (Sat 1:50 am PT)

9:00 - 9:20: Prep and set-up time
    9:20- 9:50: Oryoki

Unit 6: Samu
    Sat 10:00 am (Sat 2:00 am PT) - Sat 10:50 am (Sat 2:50 am PT)

10:00 – 10:50: Samu

Unit 7: Tea and Coffee Time
    Sat 11:00 am (Sat 3:00 am PT) - Sat 11:50 am (Sat 3:50 am PT)

11:00 – 11:50: Join us in the Meeting Room to chat and be together.

Unit 8: Zazen and Short Ceremony
    Sat 12:00 noon (Sat 4:00 am PT) – Sat 1:50 p.m. (Sat 5:50 a.m. PT)

12:00 – 12:25: Zazen
    12:25 – 12:30: Kinhin
    12:30 – 12:50: Zazen
    12:50 – 1:00: Kinhin
    1:00 – 1:50: Ceremony (Dai Hi Shin Dharani, Differently-Abled Lineage) and Zazen, Metta Chant, Verse of Atonement and 4 Vows.

Unit 9: Oryoki
    Sat 2:00 pm (Sat 6:00 am PT) - Sat 3:00 pm (Sat 7:00 am PT)

2:00 - 2:20: Prep and set-up time
    2:20 - 2:50: Oryoki

Unit 10: Samu
    Sat 3:00 pm (Sat 7:00 am PT) - Sat 3:50 pm (Sat 7:50 am PT)

3:00 – 3:50: Samu

Unit 11: Sitting
    Sat 4:00 pm (Sat 8:00 am PT) - Sat 6:50 pm (Sat 10:50 am PT)

4:00 - 4:25: Zazen
    4:25 - 4:30: Kinhin
    4:30 - 4:50: Zazen
    4:50 - 5:00: Kinhin
    5:00 - 5:25: Zazen
    5:25 - 5:30: Kinhin
    5:30 - 5:50: Zazen
    5:50 - 6:00: Kinhin
    6:00 - 6:25: zazen
    6:25 - 6:30: Kinhin
    6:30 - 6:50: Zazen

Unit 12: Tea and Coffee Time
    Sat 7:00 pm (Sat 11:00 am PT) - Sat 7:50 pm (Sat 11:50 am PT)

7:00 – 7:50: Join us in the Meeting Room to chat and be together.

Unit 13: Remembrance and Nehan-E Ceremony
    Sat 8:00 pm (Sat 12:00 noon PT) - Sat 10:00 pm (Sat 2:00 pm PT)

8:00 – 8:25: Zazen
    8:25 – 8:30: Kinhin
    8:30 – 8:50: Zazen
    8:50 – 9:00: Kinhin
    9:00 – 9:50: Ceremony (Shariraimon in English/ Heart Sutra in Japanese) and Zazen, Metta Chant, Verse of Atonement and 4 Vows.

Unit 14: Oryoki
    Sat 10:00 pm (Sat 2:00 pm PT) - Sat 11:00 pm (Sat 3:00 pm PT)

10:00 - 10:20: Prep and set-up time
    10:20 - 10:50: Oryoki

Unit 15: Samu
    Sat 11:00 pm (Sat 3:00 pm PT) - Sat 11:50 pm (Sat 3:50 pm PT)

11:00 – 11:50: Samu

Unit 16: Sitting
    Sun 12:00 midnight (Sat 4:00 pm PT) - Sun 1:50 am (Sat 5:50 pm PT)

12:00 - 12:25: Zazen
    12:25 - 12:30: Kinhin
    12:30 - 12:50: Zazen
    12:50 - 1:00: Kinhin
    1:00 - 1:25: Zazen
    1:25 - 1:30: Kinhin
    1:30 - 1:50: Zazen

Unit 17: Closing Ceremony
    Sun 2:00 am (Sat 6:00 pm PT) - Sun 4:00 am (Sat 8:00 pm PT)

2:00 – 2:50: Ceremony (Heart Sutra in English, Women Ancestors) & Zazen
    2:50 – 3:00: Kinhin
    3:00 - 3:25: Zazen
    3:25 - 3:30: Kinhin
    3:30 - 3:50: Zazen, Metta, verse of atonement and 4 vows

Post Retreat Happy Hour
    Sun 4:00 am (Sat 8:00 pm PT) - Sun 5:50 am (Sat 9:50 pm PT)

4:00 – 5:50: Join us in the meeting room for a post retreat happy hour.

HOW TO JOIN THE RETREAT:

You can join the Spring Retreat Live in the Scheduled Sitting Room using Zoom any one of the following ways:

- Use this direct link: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244
    - Open Zoom and join with this meeting id: 483 483 1244
    - Go to Treeleaf NOW and select the Scheduled Sitting Room: treeleaf.org/ssr
    - If prompted for a password, use: dogen

Notes:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- You can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / tic-tac-toe style view):
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to say hi and bow to everyone)
    Note: Unlike other Treeleaf events, this Retreat will not be recorded. Please join the zoom room to take part. You are welcome to join with your camera off if you prefer to not be on camera, but we do love seeing all your smiling faces.

Gassho,

Treeleaf Priest and Unsui
    sat
    Last edited by Jakuden; 05-30-2021 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Updated Chant Book link.

Spring Retreat Pointers and Tips

Hello all,

If you have been around Treeleaf you might have taken part in our annual Rohatsu Retreat which is a traditional formal retreat. This year’s Spring Retreat is going to be treated as an informal retreat. While at any multi-day Sesshin or shorter ‘Zazenkai’ (which mean, respectively, ‘gathering the heart-mind’ and ‘coming together for Zazen’) of even one day, we separate ourselves for a time from our daily affairs, and seek a quiet place… we know that this is a time when separating ourselves might not be possible. But we hope that everyone can still come together and follow the spirit of the gathering together and sitting with this moment and what is right now.

Below are some pointers and tips for the retreat, but please modify as necessary.

1. TRUE QUIET:

For this retreat determine what is a good amount of quietness for you, and what is happening right now. Maybe just giving up social media for the day, and only talk when necessary. Not allowing your mind to wander off and talk away while doing activities, but instead focus on them with wholeheartedness. Or perhaps take up the vow of great silence for the day and try not to talk at all or only in a whisper.

2. SCHEDULE AND SEATING ARRANGEMENTS:

Since this retreat is running continuously please join as you can with the live events in the Schedule Sitting Room (unless another room is noted in the schedule). Sessions will not be recorded, so please join the zoom room live. You are welcome to join with your camera off. Please remember to mute yourself.

Most events start at the beginning of the hour, and all sits start at the top and bottom of every hour. Feel free to join any session for any amount of time, leaving during Kinhin or a break period. The Ceremonies and the only activity that will run through the entire hour.

Please sit near enough to your computer that you can clearly hear and see the netcast. There is no need to have the computer right in front of you, and when sitting Zazen, you should not be looking at the computer screen at all. However, your computer should be placed in such a way that, from your Zafu, you can clearly see the screen by turning your head (because there will be ceremonies, meals and the like where watching the screen from your seat will be necessary)

3. ROOM & CLOTHING:
    Arrange a room and space for sitting if that is possible, if it isn’t we don’t mind pets running around, toys scattered on the floor and life occurring as we sit.

Please join with dark and modest clothing as possible.

4. WATCHES & COMPUTER SETTINGS:

Watches should not be worn during zazen, but can be close by (in case the internet drops).

It is very important that you set your computer to no have a Screensaver or “Stand By/Hybernate” function.

5. PROMPTNESS AND ATTENDANCE:

While we would love to see everyone be able to join us for the entire retreat, we know that isn’t possible (not even for all the Unsui and Priests). Please join as you can.

Most sessions can be joined at the top and bottom of the hours. Check the schedule and try to join during Kinhin or a break.

6. MEALS:

Oryoki meals will be done 3 times during this retreat. If you have not done oryoki with us before please join and follow along. The leaders will be giving directions to follow.

Please review this notes HERE on making an oryoki kit if you don’t already have one.

7. KINHIN:

Kinhin will be completed with all sittings. Kinhin can also be used as a time for bathroom breaks or for entering and leaving the retreat.

8. SAMU:

There will be work periods. This ‘Mindful Work’ is to be done as if it is the only action to be done, or which can be done, in the world at that moment. The mind is to drop all resistance, likes or dislikes about the work. It is to be done ‘mindfully’, meaning that we think only about the work we are doing at that moment when doing the work at that moment. Try to drop thought of other matters before or after the work at hand.

All normal life activities can become samu, some example:

Washing dishes, folding clothes or scrubbing the bathroom
    Caring for children
    Working on project like sewing
    Gardening or outside work

The mindset is the important part of Samu, do whatever work you are doing fully engaged and not distracted by trying to hurry and it get done, or pondering other things while mindlessly completing the task.

9. ZAZEN:

Try to be as steady as possible throughout the sitting period. Ignore minor irritations (we learn to take life ‘as it is’ by bearing with some discomfort. In fact, small aches and pains are an important part of the Retreat’s lessons). But if it is necessary to stop or adjust your position because you are in pain, that is fine (our way is one of moderation) and you must be the judge of this. Adjust your position carefully and slowly, keeping your practice going throughout.

10. MEDICAL AND EMERGENCIES:

If you have any problems, such as illness, an emergency or a personal problem, it is best to attend to that and break off the Retreat and your silence. STOP OR PAUSE THE RETREAT IF YOU FEEL THERE IS ANY HARMFUL EFFECT ON PHYSICAL OR PSYCHOLOGICAL HEALTH.

Please be very careful and aware of your bodies. Don't force yourself to maintain uncomfortable or difficult positions.

If this is your first retreat with us, please reach out to an Unsui if you have any concerns or questions.

Other than that … just relax and have a pleasant Retreat!

Gassho,

Treeleaf Unsui and Priests
    Last edited by Jakuden; 05-31-2021 at 01:01 AM.

Deep bows to all involved in putting this together.
    I will be present with you all and am eternally thankful for what this Sangha brings to my bunch of moments called life

Be well comrades
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today.
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoka View Post
    1:00 – 1:50: Ceremony (Heart Sutra, Disabled Lineage) and Zazen, Metta Chant, Verse of Atonement and 4 Vows.
    Just curious, what does "Disabled Lineage" mean?

Gassho,

Luigi
    ST/LAH
    "Zazen is good for nothing."
    — Kōdō Sawaki (1880-1965)

Alarm set, old house set up to be the zendo for the day. See you all tomorrow bright and early!

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sat today
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    Just curious, what does "Disabled Lineage" mean?

Gassho,

Luigi
    ST/LAH
    Treeleaf members, including Zenmei, helped to put together a lineage of differently-abled ancestors, as no doubt there were many who were not included in traditional male and female lineage dedications. Here is the video of Treeleaf Unsui Kokuu reciting it for the first time: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...BLED-ANCESTORS We hope to encourage recognition and practice of Soto Zen amongst those who cannot assume the traditional meditation posture or practice in a traditional Zen center due to physical challenges.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Nanrin View Post
    Alarm set, old house set up to be the zendo for the day. See you all tomorrow bright and early!

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sat today
    Oh my gosh this is absolutely beautiful! I will see you from my corner in the basement, across from the sump pump and the woodstove.

Gassho,,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thanks all for putting this together. As always I appreciate the work that goes on behind the Treeleaf Curtains. When awake I will be dropping in to share some time with you all. Have not seen many people for awhile! It will be good to see familiar faces.

Doshin
    St

Thank you all! Have been struggling with pain the past few days, so I will join you as my physical limitations allow.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

Some folks were having formatting issues when printing the Chant Guide, so I updated Shoka's link in the original post. If it printed for you, no need to reprint, but if you had issues, please try again!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #wrangledpdfs
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Hi everyone,

Some folks were having formatting issues when printing the Chant Guide, so I updated Shoka's link in the original post. If it printed for you, no need to reprint, but if you had issues, please try again!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #wrangledpdfs
    As a heads up, I tried downloading it but it instantly failed saying the file formatting was incorrect. Might be my device, might be the file.

Nanrin

Sat today
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Nanrin View Post
    As a heads up, I tried downloading it but it instantly failed saying the file formatting was incorrect. Might be my device, might be the file.
    It is on Dropbox, so you'll need to click on it normally (not right-click->save as) and then click the print icon from the Dropbox interface (or download it from there).

Let me know if that works for you.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Last edited by Sekishi; 05-01-2020 at 10:41 PM.

Hi all

I am just off to bed but hope to see European members up for some sitting, oryoki and samu from 7am - 11am UK time (8am - 12pm in central Europe) with tea and coffee in the meeting room afterwards.

Join when and where you can. It will be lovely to have you along.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

It's just gone 11am here and my breathing is really REALLY bad. 84 puffs of Ventolin and 8 puffs of high steroidal inhaler since waking at 4am bad.
    Not being a downer but I'm focused on ugly trying to stay alive Shikantaza but I'm with you all.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    Last edited by Onka; 05-02-2020 at 01:38 AM.
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Much Metta to you Onka. Even in suffering you bring your sense of humour!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    It's just gone 11am here and my breathing is really REALLY bad. 84 puffs of Ventolin and 8 puffs of high steroidal inhaler since waking at 4am bad.
    Not being a downer but I'm focused on ugly trying to stay alive Shikantaza but I'm with you all.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    We are all breathing with you Onka, I hope we can carry some of the load

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

The schedule looks great! I went almost straight from work to the Zazenkai, so I couldn't stay this evening afterwards (EST) -- hope to participate some Saturday.

Gassho

Ryan S
    Sat Today
    Last edited by Bokugan; 05-02-2020 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi all

I am just off to bed but hope to see European members up for some sitting, oryoki and samu from 7am - 11am UK time (8am - 12pm in central Europe) with tea and coffee in the meeting room afterwards.

Join when and where you can. It will be lovely to have you along.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Deer ready to sit with us (bottom center).

A hummingbird flew by when I took this too. He was not ready to sit.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #bzzzzzzzt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you everyone who sat, oryokied, samued and joined the tea/coffee break in the last five hours.

It's a pleasure to practice with you all!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Kokuu, thank you for hosting! It was quite wonderful to participate many of your sessions and even turn on video for a few periods throughout the day.

Really enjoyed the tea break and getting to chat with Kokuu, Kotei, Mateus, and John. There are not many opportunities to talk with Treeleafers face to face like this.

Looks like the schedule won't allow for much more participation here as the day closes. Hope all of you have a lovely retreat, I hope to join you in the closing ceremony.

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sat today

I've just taken part in session 8.
    Thank you so much to everyone not just there but everywhere else for their practice.
    It was simply beautiful .

I'm so appreciative for the opportunity to practice in this way.

Metta to all
    Gassho
    Martyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello.
    That's it for me for today. I started sitting 14 hours ago and stayed with the schedule.
    Now it's evening and a day full of sitting, Oryoki, sewing and experiencing many of you wonderful people comes to an end.
    Thank you dear organisation crew and everyone who participated!
    What a great day!

Deep bows,
    Kotei sat.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Well, this is my first retreat (ongoing) and a really wonderful time of practice and fellowship. Thank you all so much for organizing and sitting. It's a delight to share with so many of you for the first time, given pesky time differences!

My first 4 hour zazenkai has taught me a lot about my grabbing, demanding mind! It's been most illuminating to sit longer. Chatting with you over tea and coffee has been sweet music too, after the silence...wow, we are all REAL people!!

I look forward to joining you again later...maybe even a little happy hour

Thank you again all organizers

Deep bows Family, Chris satabit/lah

Last edited by Yokai; 05-02-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Nice to sit with you all for a bit tonight!

Gassho

Nenka
    ST

I wish to offer my joyful congratulations and thanks to all who joined in this marvelous time of Retreat
    and to all those who worked to make it possible.

Bows and Bows ...

Jundo

STLah

Last edited by Jundo; 05-03-2020 at 02:20 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks to everyone who organized and participated. I was only able to sit for one unit but I am enormously grateful. It was my first time sitting live and just seeing my little square makes it different.

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today

Likewise, thank you Team Retreat.
    Just great! Won't ramble on again...
    Gassho, C stlah

This was a time to be treasured. Many bows.

gassho
    shonin sat and lah
    Visiting unsui: salt liberally.

Quote Originally Posted by Shōnin Risa Bear View Post
    This was a time to be treasured. Many bows.

gassho
    shonin sat and lah
    Thank you for being a part of this Shonin. It couldn't have happened without you.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you to everyone who came together and practiced woth us. We can't donit withoit all of you.

Gassho
    Shoka
    Sat

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Deepest gratitude to all who manifested this lovely spring retreat

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks to everyone involved! It was nice talking to some of you as well—during the tea break.

Gassho,

Luigi
    ST
    "Zazen is good for nothing."
    — Kōdō Sawaki (1880-1965)

Really enjoyed the tea break and getting to chat with Kokuu, Kotei, Mateus, and John. There are not many opportunities to talk with Treeleafers face to face like this.
    Yes, this was really lovely, Nanrin, and I am glad we chose to add tea breaks to the schedule.

We used to have a regular Treeleaf 'coffee house' which allowed for this and are talking about bringing it back as it does allow members to talk face-to-face and chat about practice and just their life and individual circumstances.

I loved the fact we were five members from five different countries and the different perspectives on life that gave. Also learning about bamboo construction!

Thank you all for making this retreat such a thing of joy. I slept for 14 hours last night!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 05-03-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Yep, tea breaks were special...getting to know the real people we sit with (or haven't met yet). It felt quite profound after sitting in silence together. Very: "We're in this (life & practice) together."

Gassho, Chris stlah

Well deepest gratitude to you all for your practice and the convivial feeling generated throughout the sessions. As for the organisational crew........well what can I say......,we're all lucky to have you. It was special sitting together as here in deepest Suffolk, UK you can sometimes feel like the only zen dude in the village.

So the Treeleaf Sangha is magical place for me.

Finally it was great to chat with y'all in the dead of night, post-retreat. As ChrisKiwi said we are human and just chatting is often fabulous medicine for a tired aching body.

It's just reinforced the fact that face to face time is a wonderful thing, as we're all learning in this time of covid. As such I can definitely second the idea of getting a virtual coffee house going. It's a wonderful gift to be able to meet new folks and old friends, this is after all how new folks become old friends!

Anyway many thanks for a wonderful experience and I look forward to seeing y'all soon.

Gassho🙏,

Neilio

SAT/LAH

Thank you all. It was a wonderful experience.

Deep gratitude for this opportunity to sit with you all.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thanks to all who made this possible. Thanks to Jundo for the wonderful talk on Dogen’s Spring and Fall, and thank you for all the opportunities to practice Metta. I’m not sure why, but I am always deeply moved when the lineages are chanted.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Thank you.

Doshin
    St

Thank you to all involved. I thought this format was a fantastic idea. We are a 24 hour a day Sangha so why not have a 24+ hour retreat? I was able to sit with you a few times and took the spirit of the retreat with me throughout the day. One suggestion I really valued was unplugging from the distractions. With the expectation of the retreat my devices stayed off or silent throughout.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I want o to thank everybody who made this retreat possible. Thank you Jundo, priests and fellow sangha members. It was my firts experience of an all day retreat in one go. It was beyond expectations.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

I deeply appreciate everything that went into making the retreat possible. I could only attend unit 16 and the closing, but it was fantastic. The hard work you all put into it showed, and I needed the structure and extended sits -- particularly at that moment.

Thank you for all of these opportunities to practice and for being so welcoming!

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today