Thread: We're All In This Together (25) - Viral Misperceptions - TOO BAD!

We're All In This Together (25) - Viral Misperceptions - TOO BAD!

Over the coming days, we will look at some common misperceptions about the virus that are plaguing so many of us like their own virus. The talks will be called ...

TOO BAD! - We tend to imagine the 'worst case scenarios' for ourselves in our mind. Yes, it will be so for some people, maybe even you and me, but why obsess about imagined outcomes in the meantime?

TOO CLOSE! - We are a bit too close to these events right now and, as after 9-11, there is a good chance that we will panic and overreact as a society and as individuals.

TOO GOOD! - Some folks are not taking this seriously enough.

TOO NARROW! - Some folks are worried too much, and about the wrong stuff!

TOO DRAMATIC! - The news media is a vital source of information, but the 24-hour news cycle tends to show the most shocking stories which are not representative. They show the plane crashes, not all the countless safe landings.

TOO SKEPTICAL! (or not enough) - We need to be discerning in the information we take in, respecting true experts in their field (even if they don't always know), and rejecting rumors, conspiracies and crazy explanations.

TOO EASY! - Some of us have life too easy, and need to remember the working people without a paycheck who are struggling more than others of us.

TOO FAR! - For many of us, this has become a 'first world problem' forgetting that folks in the third world are far less equipped to deal with this..

TOO EVERYTHING! - We need to see beyond all opposites, judgments and measures too!

... and more ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-22-2020 at 07:28 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks for this, Jundo.

It's all about perspective, isn't it? Our brains, however, love immutable points! They particularly love juicy positions like the 'worst-case scenario' standpoint. That's why tabloids sell...

I guess we just need to learn how to live among uncertainties and misconceptions. Go with the flow, without getting too fixed, rooted, either in hell or paradise.

Brilliant idea for a series of talks!

Gassho,

Luigi
    ST with the universe
    "Zazen is good for nothing."
    — Kōdō Sawaki (1880-1965)

I look forward to these talks very much. Very much needed in my humble opinion.
    In regards to the so-called Third World I watch snake rescue videos from poor rural areas of India where an Indian Cobra in someone's house seems to bring the whole village out to watch the show.
    The guy who rescues the snake always takes the opportunity to educate the villagers about not killing snakes, informs them of what to do if one is seen, gives them suggestions as to how to not attract snakes i.e fix holes in mud walls, keep the home clean and informs them of the types of venom the snake has etc. He understands that rural villagers are more likely to apply local snake bite remedies and hope for the best rather than seek out hospital treatment. So what he does is he tells them to apply their traditional remedies but tells them that they MUST take the victim to hospital. This is community education at its best. Important information and knowledge shared without being dismissive of local culture.
    I've even seen one video where he instructed a family to pray before and pay respect to a Cobra he'd just caught in their home. The message was clear to this non-Hindi speaker that everyone and everything has its place within the interconnected whole. It was quite moving tbh.
    How this relates to Covid-19 is as follows...
    Since the outbreak this snake rescuer goes into villages wearing a surgical mask. It is abundantly clear that local or national governmental messages around Coronavirus and social distancing protocols are not reaching these villages as quickly as they possibly should. What this guy has taken to do is to discuss with the villagers and his viewers the importance of social isolating at this time while he has essentially a captive audience. The villagers are looking at this big scary snake while being lectured on public health and wildlife conservation. I fricken love this kind of stuff and love a metaphorical wake up call which I suspect is what we're in for with these talks.
    What a privilege it is to be here now!
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you, Jundo, for this series.
    Living in a Third World country, I can be very stressed over the tragedy that is about to happen as the virus spreads toward the poor villages and favelas where no social distancing is possible and the people live in a constant fear of both the criminal groups and the police as they need to work everyday in underpayed and unsafe jobs so they can eat. It is difficult to put some perspective into it.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

I do love these talks, thank you Jundo for keeping everything in perspective. I feel as though I'm living the middle way, my governor says I'm am essential employee but my paycheck says otherwise. Perhaps I'm both and neither simultaneously! In this time I feel as though Dogen's advice would be to chop wood, carry water, and wash your hands.

I always look forward to these talks, and to Mateus, metta to you, your family, and to those in your country who are scared and suffering, and I want to thank you for being a beacon of hope and love to those around you in these times.

Gassho,

Joshua
    SatToday

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hey Jundo,

I have to thank you for this. I found the video very funny when you popped out. Perhaps unintentional but I got a big smile from it.

Also, thanks for the wisdom! I will go with the flow now man.

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday

There has been a wealth of communication within my workplace. Here is something that showed up today that is right on theme with this talk

Negativity bias makes us subconsciously give more psychological significance to negative experiences than to positive ones of the same intensity, affecting our behaviour
    Two thirds of your amygdala is designed to focus primarily on negative
    I assume these are evolutionary effects designed to keep us alive.

Thank you for this series.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Tairin,

That is quite fascinating, it does make sense that at one point it was evolutionarily advantaged. I wonder at what point excessive worry starts to have a reverse effect in the form of high blood pressure, anxiety, etc. It would be interesting to see when it's hurting more than helping, or to see where our technology has far outpaced our evolving animal mindset. I think that's part of the reason it's so terrifying to have so many advanced and devestating weapons, because our destructive capabilities far outpaced our mindset as a species. Warring over water with sticks and stones really wasn't that long ago, which is another reason our practice feels so timeless and necessary. The more people that can quietly sit and just be, the better off we'd all be I feel. Thank you for the nugget to nibble on, I quite enjoyed it!

Gassho,

Joshua
    SatToday

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hey Tairin,

I am learning a lot about this now for leadership development. Yes, we are hard-wired (most of us) for more anxious ways of thinking, especially in the face of novelty. It's quite interesting to learn about. Negativity bias is similar to loss aversion, status quo bias. All very fascinating things inside the realm of leadership and decision making .

I hope all is well man .

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday

This reminded me of the famous Father Ted scene - 'Now Dougal, this is a toy cow and is close, and those real cows are far away...'

Thank you for this important perspective, Jundo, as ever.

Metta to you, your country and everyone who is suffering in this pandemic, Mateus.

Gassho

Heiso

StLah

I think I am posting this in the wrong place, but I'm on mobile right now.

In my area, there is paranoia over the virus (and a lot of racism ), but more so there is exhaustion, fear, desperation, and people acting out in violence (weapons, etc). We have a growing lack of access to fresh/healthy foods. Businesses have closed/gone bankrupt. Countless people are unemployed. Stores are limiting access and screening customers due to recent robberies, and so are banks. There are more shortages. Government updates are not addressing the realities many of us are living with-- instead talking of a utopian "things are going well" that does not reflect what most are experiencing. It's a strange unreality to experience when you're living one circumstance but being assured it's the opposite.

In many ways (for us), the psychological, physical, economic impacts are possibly more devastating than the virus itself. There is no 'normal' in this -- it's a form of psycho-emotional trauma.

I don't say this to be depressing or a wet blanket. It's simply the reality of many people in my community.

My way through this is one moment at a time -- and shikantaza in silence.

Gassho, meian st

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.