Thread: We're All In This Together (24) - Recommendation: Loving Kindness Practice (Metta)

We're All In This Together (24) - Recommendation: Loving Kindness Practice (Metta)

Dear All,

I would like to recommend 'Metta,' Loving Kindness recital, as a practice to sooth the heart and heal the world in these difficult times. I explain how in this talk.

Metta is a visualization practice in which we summon feelings within to match the words we say, e.g., contentment when we speak of contentment, peace when we wish for peace. We begin with ourself, then a loved one, a friend, a stranger we may have passed on the street, a difficult person in life, and finally all sentient beings. We say these words:

1. May he(I/she/we) be free of suffering; may he(I/she/we) feel safe and still.

2. May he(I/she/we) be free of enmity; may he(I/she/we) be loving, grateful and kind.

3. May he(I/she/we) be healthy and at ease in all his(my/her/our) ills.

4. May he(I/she/we) be at peace, embracing all conditions of life

If you would like to read more about Metta practice, there is information here:

RECOMMENDED DAILY Metta PRACTICE
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Metta-PRACTICE

More on the effectiveness of Metta, here:

Explaining "Metta"
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...plaining-Metta

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-20-2020 at 07:43 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

This is a nice reminder .

Thank you Jundo

Gassho

Ippo

SatToday

Lovely! Metta is such a beautiful practice.

Also, please feel to join us for the related practice of Tonglen (taking suffering from others and sending metta) each Sunday in the Scheduled Sitting Room at 7pm UST (3pm EDT, 12pm PDT, various times elsewhere): https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ctice-Circle-5

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Also at the moment I'm doing a daily Metta session, a short 10 minutes sit and then Metta recital. Check the calendar!

Although I do run in late or miss a day here and there, because since I'm working from home people seem to forgot there is such a thing as lunchtime. :P

Gassho,

Shoka

Thank you Jundo for encouraging my Metta practice and Shoka, Kokuu/Washin for running Metta and Tonglen sessions.

No excuses now.

Gassho, Chris stlah

Thank you Jundo Roshi

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

We're All In This Together (24) - Recommendation: Loving Kindness Practice (Metta)

This is the man filled with emotion seeking the middle path which the Buddha taught us and by example compassion, equanimity, and gratitude these and more And by the love of One Who taught me to pray these words “Help Me.” Thank you Jundo for making it real.
    Tai Shi
    sat / lah
    Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆