Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 77 and 78

"Simple Living" - Chapters 77 and 78

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 77 - Have A Conversation With A Garden - As it is hard to get to a Zen garden these days, I am going to suggest that you find some item in or around your home, made of some natural material like wood, cloth, clay or metal, something that is nearly worn out, showing its age, scratched and scarred. It does not have to be a magnificent item, and can be quite ordinary, like a chipped cup, wooden ladle, old shoe. Appreciate the beauty of its impermanence, the character in its scars, the marks of life that show in every scratch. Wordlessly, savor wabi-sabi.

Chapter 78 - Make Someone Happy - It may be hard to find seasonal ingredients these days, as shopping is limited for many of us. So, I will suggest that you eat three natural items that are very simple and plain, for example, an apple, a piece of lettuce (not buried in dressing nor together with other items) and a piece of bread with nothing added. Maybe with a cup of tea. Truly chew and focus on each, chewing slowly, carefully noticing how the flavor and texture change the more you chew. Can you sense the seasons and the passing of time? If you wish, do this together with someone else in your house or via online. No need to try to describe what one tastes (you can a bit, but this is not a wine tasting), and just experience the changing texture and taste.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-15-2020 at 07:11 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Garden: made a straw path for it today and asked it not to be afraid of the wind (was really blowing)

Eat thoughtfully: a bowl of Bigleaf maple blossoms

gassho
    shonin sat today/lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Hello,
    I am still participating with this practice...
    #77 nearly daily work in the garden, replacing or maintaining this and that after the winter. In a joyful, mindful, samu like way, not rushing through.
    #78 the work with the bees started, too. Tasted honey directly from the comb, 3 different shaded colours, guessing which flowers or trees it is from.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

#77 as all gardens are “Zen Gardens” if the heart sees them as such I will participate by spending some time with my garden. It is still early to be doing much but I’ll take a crack at neatening a bit which will be a help to me later on

#78 will do. 👍

Tairin
    Sat today and lah