Thread: Is There Interest In A Weekend Retreat?

Is There Interest In A Weekend Retreat?

Hi all,

We were wondering whether there would be interest in a weekend mini-sesshin sometime over the next few weeks. We were thinking mostly sitting with a minimum of ceremony, but could include other things (samu, Oryoki etc) if anyone would like. Please comment if you would participate and if so, what elements would be most helpful :-) Thanks!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Let me check my travel schedule.....looks like I am in stay at home mode so yes I can participate.

Thank you Sangha for the opportunity.

Doshin
    St

PS..I just remembered you would like ideas. I have no preferences. However several of the Sangha members have started threads from art, to haiku to other Buddhist activities. Maybe an opportunity for short sharing of those practices would be of interest. I know I do not participate in those areas because I “assume” I have no skills to share...but maybe we could learn that there is more to it than just a skill set.
    Last edited by Doshin; 04-11-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I'd love to do at least a one-day sesshin (I'd like to do more, but I don't know if its in the cards for me in April).

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I think this is a fantastic idea.
    I believe that small reminders like Jundo's almost daily two minute transmissions are a helpful way to stay on the Path during this crisis.
    So a mixture of reaffirming the simple wisdom of our Practice, some reminders to look past our own noses, some sitting with Sangha comrades and maybe even a small discussion of a poem such as the brilliant one we looked at in our Rohatsu weekend would be great.
    In all honesty at the moment I will probably just be dropping in and out but most definitely see more than a little value in this idea.
    Gassho
    Onka Anna

Edited to add that I actually think that the poem we looked at in our Rohatsu retreat and the talks given by our Priests and Unsui was pretty great so could we just dig up and cut and paste them into any mini retreat plans in the interest of saving a tinsy bit of work?
    Last edited by Onka; 04-11-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I support the idea. Perhaps I can't be there all weekend, as I have to take care of my sick dog and some minor work related activities, but even these can be done in a samu spirit. Count me in.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Yes, I think this is great and I'm sure there will be lots of people interested. Under any other circumstances I really would have loved this opportunity, but right now it's impossible for me. That might sound funny seeing as I'm locked down tight until beginning May, but I'm actually having trouble finding time to do all that I usually do - I think because I'm ensuring that Stef leaves the house as little as possible, it's a full time job just keeping things going here. I also feel that I want to spend as much time as possible with him and with the immediacy of our life together, this crisis has really made me appreciate the knife edge on which we live or die.
    So although it's not for me right now, I think it's a lovely idea and hope that as many as possibly can take part.
    Gratitude.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I like the idea of doing this. Sounds like a great idea. How and when this is done will determine the extent to which I can participate.

Tairin
    Sat today
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I have never participated in sesshin. I was actually all set to attend my first day-long sesshin at the Cincinnati Zen Center on April 4th, but the quarantine situation has delayed that indeterminately.

I would most likely be able to do only one day, a Saturday or Sunday, but probably not an entire weekend. If it is okay to just attend just part, I would be very interested.

Thank you!

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today

This sounds interesting and I would most likely participate in at least part of it. Looking back at Rohatsu in December, the highlight for me was the reading and discussion of Shitou's Song of the Grass Roof Hut. That was a lightning bolt that sort of brought it all together. So anything like that would be...yeah...good.

Gassho
    ST-lah
    James

Count me in
    Heitou
    平桃

I definitely suport the idea....only I don't know how much I could participate for I am always absorbed with my two kids ( one is a baby...)...but I would love to join on and off with you all, for sure!!!

Gassho.
    Arya.
    Sat Today.

Yes.

Gassho

Nenka
    ST

I would love to, balanced with family/work(?)...steering a middle way
    [simple format maybe if lockdown as can't order anything online except an ebook!]

Gassho, C stlah

I would be very interested. As a full time, solo mother of a toddler, I’m not sure how possible it is for me though

Gassho,
    Natahl
    STLaH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Natahl View Post
    I would be very interested. As a full time, solo mother of a toddler, I’m not sure how possible it is for me though

Gassho,
    Natahl
    STLaH

When we have our Treeleaf retreats, child care and family or work responsibilities are all Samu (Work Practice) = Zazen = Retreat = No Problem.

It is not that one begins where the other ends.

When bowing, just bow. When sitting, just sit. When changing a diaper, just change. When cookinig dinner, just cook. When getting er done, just get er done. Like that.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

In case this is useful:
    Prior to lockdown, Bird Haven's main activity has been a one-day retreat monthly except August. When we were younger we had full Rohatsu culminating in the December retreat, which has always been second Saturdays. It goes something like this:

8:30 am orientation if newcomers; opening reading, silence begins
    robe verse
    zazen
    kinhin
    zazen
    "jundo" to the outdoor altars (indoor altars for the alter-abled)
    dharma talk: usually Kenshin or Yudo
    kinhin
    zazen
    10 minute bowing practice
    12:00 lunch (silent, at the dining table, oryoki principles) and cleanup/rest
    zazen
    kinhin
    zazen
    trail kinhin (very slow walk in the woods, single file, in shashu) (on porch for the alter abled)
    zazen
    open period (not a rest, we scatter out and do walking meditation, garden gazing, etc. I usually stay in the zendo and do a sit and a kinhin)
    zazen facing in (Rinzai style -- I find this very powerful after a whole day of wall gazing)
    dedications and refuges -- bow out
    5 pm "kitchen table dharma" decompress together before going our separate ways, with a muffin and tea

It looks like we will be going to a Zoom version, maybe a shorter day to begin with, next month. No trail kinhin, alas.

kinhin_line.jpg

gassho
    shonin sat today/lah
    Last edited by Shōnin Risa Bear; 04-14-2020 at 05:38 AM.
    Visiting unsui: use salt

"jundo" to the outdoor altars (indoor altars for the alter-abled)
    Just for those who don't know, that is a different jundō (巡堂), a ritual circuit or circumambulation with the Kyosaku stick usually to open the Zen Hall during the day, while I am "Jundo" 純道 ... although a bit round and rotund in my way too.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-14-2020 at 05:42 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

_()_

gassho
    shonin sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    When we have our Treeleaf retreats, child care and family or work responsibilities are all Samu (Work Practice) = Zazen = Retreat = No Problem.

It is not that one begins where the other ends.

When bowing, just bow. When sitting, just sit. When changing a diaper, just change. When cookinig dinner, just cook. When getting er done, just get er done. Like that.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thank you, Jundo. This means I can probably participate.

Gassho,
    Natahl
    SaTLaH

I’m into Samu retreat if possible. Will that mean we are all connected to the Zendo barn and will anyone be sitting there?
    Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho

Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Natahl View Post
    Thank you, Jundo. This means I can probably participate.

Gassho,
    Natahl
    SaTLaH

Yes I can sit since Samu and sometimes actually sit at my alter. You’ll have to take my word for it as always. This morning actually about 20 min.
    sat
    Tai
    Shi

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Hi all,

We were wondering whether there would be interest in a weekend mini-sesshin sometime over the next few weeks. We were thinking mostly sitting with a minimum of ceremony, but could include other things (samu, Oryoki etc) if anyone would like. Please comment if you would participate and if so, what elements would be most helpful :-) Thanks!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    Now I understand. This is possible for me—no children or cleaning or coop or cooking. My life is easy as should be at 68. But give others a chance; I’m sure there are many different ages.
    Sat
    Tai
    Shi
    Gassho

Interested yes.
    sat today
    GASSHO
    Jon T

I'm interested. I think adding in oryoki and the chanting like we do in the rohatsu retreat would be helpful.

Gassho

Nanrin

Sat today
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Hi Jakuden,

This sounds wonderful.

I would be interest. It might be ideal to keep it minimal and 'Just Sit' so we can get more members involved?

Would be nice to see you all.

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday