Thread: We're All In This Together (18) - Recommendation: Seek the Wisdom of Elders

We're All In This Together (18) - Recommendation: Seek the Wisdom of Elders

A lot of older folks have gone through very hard times before, and the wise one (not all) learned a few things about getting through in body and mind. Talk to them, talk to your parents or grandparents if you can (okay, through FaceTime or the like) and learn from them, let them tell you a tale or too, get to know them better. You have time these days to talk to folks! Or, if you are an elder who has a story or two to tell, share with family or online somewhere. You can help folks.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-11-2020 at 06:13 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Grandparents have been know to tell grandchildren:

"You don't like your job? You should be grateful you have one" recalling the great depression.

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

"No toilet paper? Rub some newspaper pages soft, while you're sitting on the pot, or go into the garden and use some grass or leaves, like we did during the war", my mother said.

Thank you,
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Mateus
    Sat/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

"I wore an onion on my belt. It was the fashion at the time..." (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

As we do the rounds of the family via FaceTime today for Easter, I'm reminded how important it is to keep communication and story telling through the generations. Our son gets so much joy out of speaking to his grandparents. And they've all embraced being the elders.

It's funny how your own parents can seem like such different people when viewed through others' eyes. Perspective is a funny thing.

Gassho,
    Jen.
    SatLah

Here is one thing I did while my mother was still alive, and I highly recommend to everyone. I wish I had been able to do it with my father before he left this visible world.

I recorded about 8 hours of "60 Minutes" (I think our folks out USA know what I mean) like interviews with questions such as "Tell us about your hardest time" and "Tell us a secret we don't know" and "What advice would you give your grandkids in their twenties" (our son was still a toddler), etc.

At first she said, "Oh, I could never talk much" ... then she filled 8 hours!

Many of the stories, of course, I had heard 1000 times ... but many things I never heard before! Also a couple of "family secrets" (not too serious, but very poignant).

Maybe, with all this time at home, we will rewatch the video now that the kids are older. Our daughter never met her.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-12-2020 at 02:25 PM.

A clearer picture of the old bell tower ...

delete shorinji bell.jpg

Here is some very ancient wisdom in Hebrew:

הוקי פוקי

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Here is some very ancient wisdom in Hebrew:

הוקי פוקי

Oh, our May Zazenkai is all set!

In June we will have the Arabic version, all as our hope for Middle East peace. If only all the countries and people of the region could come together to Hokey Pokey!

By the way, the Hokey Pokey is one of the few dances that can be done while maintaining "social distancing." Can't do that with a tango, after all.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-13-2020 at 02:11 AM.

I would have some difficulty with the Hokey Pokey-- but I have enjoyed watching very much-- I thoroughly enjoyed the kids dancing, and I think the "depiction" of a young teacher was especially good. I could follow her very well in Arabic.
    Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Gassho
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Both sets of grandparents (now all gone) lived through the Depression. It left an indelible mark on them and to some degree that even echoed to me as they always offered plenty of advice as I was growing up.

Tairin
    Sat today

Hi Tairian, I don’t have depression, but bipolar disorder and I am not cycling now nor have I in about 3 years. My psychiatrist says I’m well controlled, and I think that’s because of my excellent therapist. However, my therapist says I have done all the work. I’m meeting my therapist with video on Wed. noon. It’s my severe arthritis that prevents me from.
    dancing.
    Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 04-12-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Hi Tairian, I don’t have depression, but bipolar disorder and I am not cycling now nor have I in about 3 years. My psychiatrist says I’m well controlled, and I think that’s because of my excellent therapist. However, my therapist says I have done all the work. I’m meeting my therapist with video on Wed. noon. It’s my severe arthritis that prevents me from.
    dancing.
    Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Gassho

Hi Tai Shi,

I think Tairin was referring to this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression

Ah. Got it! Thanks Jishin and Tairian, and anyone who can shed light on where world wide economy because there are claims that all we will have to do is develop a vaccine and all will return to normal! Whatever that is. Personally I’d like to see more interdependence among all nations to tackle earth’s problems with Global warming, depletion of plant and animal life, and destruction of natural resources!!! I do not think we can return to normal and let the same situation repeat. I still like my comment about dancing and the little dog. That’s me sometimes when I try to dance, or have tried to dance lol, well anyway the Russians are flooding social media with spam and trolls in an attempt to destabilize world governments even more and not just the USA.
    Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Gassho

Last edited by Tai Shi; 04-12-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Hi Tai Shi,

I think Tairin was referring to this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression

Yes. The Great Depression is what I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.

I am glad you are doing well Tai Shi. Keep on dancing.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Thanks Jishin and Tairian, and anyone who can shed light on where world wide economy because there are claims that all we will have to do is develop a vaccine and all will return to normal! Whatever that is.

Personally I’d like to see more interdependence among all nations to tackle earth’s problems with Global warming, depletion of plant and animal life, and destruction of natural resources!!!
    I think that perhaps there may be a silver lining to our current situation. We have seen how quickly our lack of direct impact on the environment begins to shift the climate positively, such as the skies clearing over China, India, and the US, and the water clearing in the Mediterranean. Knowing this, we can really hone some strategies to fight global warming, if we take this chance to really cut back starting now, while we can see the possibilities and the results.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.