Thread: April 10th-11th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

April 10th-11th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

REMINDER: DAYLIGHT SAVINGS CHANGES MOST PLACES

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 9pm, Los Angeles 6pm (Friday night), London 2am and Paris 3am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS 2 MlNUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, THERE lS A LlNK BELOW AT THE BOTTOM OF THlS POST. JUST CLICK AND JOIN BEFORE START TIME. 'TWO WAY' REQUIRES INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANYONE CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

HOW TO JOIN THE ZAZENKAI '2-WAY':

You can join the Zazenkai two-way in the Scheduled Sitting Room using Zoom any one of the following ways:

- Use this direct link: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244
    - Open Zoom and join with this meeting id: 483 483 1244
    - Go to Treeleaf NOW and select the Scheduled Sitting Room: treeleaf.org/ssr
    - If prompted for a password, use: dogen

Notes:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- You can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / tic-tac-toe style view):
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to say hi and bow to everyone)
    Last edited by Sekishi; 04-11-2020 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Added youtube recording.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Jundo,

I'll be there live and I am not sure if I have to be Ino tonight, but I'll be ready.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hi Jundo,

I'll be there live and I am not sure if I have to be Ino tonight, but I'll be ready.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Yep you're the man tonight Kyonin :-)

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

I'm still practicing Shikantaza daily, perhaps more at the moment than normal but I won't be able to sit with you all live today.
    My Sangha sisters, brothers and others are a source of great strength at the moment and I thank you all for being YOU.
    Deep bows
    Onka Anna
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Hi Jundo,

I was hoping to be there tonight GMT but I think 2am is just a little too late. So I will be there in spirit and watch the recording tomorrow.

Gassho,

Neilio
    Sat/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

As of yesterday, we still could not live-stream to youtube with Zoom. I will try again tonight, but we should assume there will not be a youtube video until after the Zazenkai tonight (when Jundo or I upload a recording).

Also - Kyonin and Jundo, I will not be on camera tonight (Erin and I have a video-game date-night), but I'll be nearby to do the techno-Ino thing, and will sit this tomorrow.

Thank you to all who come together to practice the Buddha way.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Having some download issue, please do ceremony without me if l am late.
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-11-2020 at 03:14 AM.

Deep bows Jundo, Kyonin and all sitting live, one-way, recorded, or not-at-all.

I will endeavor to embed this message in my life and actions

Gassho, Chris stlah
    Last edited by Yokai; 04-11-2020 at 04:57 AM.

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone. It's so wonderful, after all these years of having 10 people max at sittings, to see so many faces on the screen and not worry about bumping someone out and taking their seat! Although Sekishi says Zoom is a mess right now and we have our technical "non-problems," it is still lovely in many ways.

Let us all keep sitting together in that place where there is no fear.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin and all Treeleafers for today’s Zazenkai.
    May all sentient beings be free from suffering and at peace.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Thank you Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone. It's so wonderful, after all these years of having 10 people max at sittings, to see so many faces on the screen and not worry about bumping someone out and taking their seat! Although Sekishi says Zoom is a mess right now and we have our technical "non-problems," it is still lovely in many ways.
    I feel the same way Jakuden! While Zoom is having some technical difficulties due to becoming one of the most popular internet services pretty much overnight, their service IS still working, and I'm grateful for their service every time we all get together!

The recorded video has been posted (still shows "processing" for me right now, but should be available in the next few minutes).

Deep bows to all,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Doshin
    St

Zoom is a miracle, and yet we sometimes complain.

It is like that old Louis C.K. bit about the guy complaining about WiFi on the airplane (before, of course, Louis C.K. got into his own problems) ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you, Treeleaf, for another Zazenkai, and for working through the various technical aspects of the meaningful service you offer the world.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Yes Zoom and other similar technology is a miracle. I am thankful for the opportunities bring not just to practice with this amazing Sangha but also to be able to see and talk to my parents and friends in these days of physical distancing

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Gassho
    Washin
    sat/lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone. The talk will help me through my days. It is much appreciated.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thanks everyone. Somehow my post Friday never posted
    Gassho
    Ishin

Sat/lah
    Grateful for your practice

Haha Jundo your new spellchecked name is Munro as far as my tablet is concerned 😁

Gassho
    STlah
    James

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you everyone

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you all!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Sat along with you today, a few days late but here I am. Thank you to everyone who makes this possible.

Gassho,
    Natahl
    STLaH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally finished the zazenkai this morning. Thank you everyone and a well timed dharma talk, Jundo.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah