Thread: For Our Heroes ...

For Our Heroes ...

Onka pointed me to this short tribute ... and we should include the orderlies and janitorial staff, back office folks and ambulance/paramedic crew, tech people and you name it who make the medicine flow ...

Gassho, J

STlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-09-2020 at 04:21 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

All our gratitude and metta to those risking their lives to save other lives.

Mateus
    Sat/LAH

A round of applause.

I'm in the U.K, and at 8 p.m. every Thursday people come out onto their front steps to applaud our keyworkers for one minute. We did this tonight. It's a very uplifting and powerful message. We have a lovely community in my street, and it's nice for us all to share in this. Cars that drive down the street beep their horns as well. Every day, at the ending of my sitting I dedicate merit to all people impacted by the covid 19 pandemic at this point.

FB_IMG_1585913703422.jpgFB_IMG_1585913703422.jpgFB_IMG_1585913703422.jpg
    These men are brothers, it's hard for them because of what they've been through for social distancing they do have PPE and the faces are wrapped except mine but it is around my neck.
    Last edited by Sotozen73; 04-10-2020 at 03:52 AM.

Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Sotozen73 View Post
    A fine example of folk ignoring social distancing protocols.
    On Ka
    穏 火
    aka Anna Kissed.
    No Gods No Masters.
    Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

Hi John,

Anyone who serves to protect innocent life, even at the risk of their own life and even if it sometimes involves violence, is a hero too. Is that your message? I do agree. That can include soldiers and law enforcement officers too who sometimes may need to do violence.

Our Precepts guide us to avoid violence and the killing of sentient beings. Thus, generally, we abhor war and any need for violence, especially if taken in anger, hate and excessive us/them thinking. Some Buddhists might say that all violence is wrong, but I am one of those who say that sometimes violence is a tragic but necessary action to save lives. I often speak of my friend, a police officer and Buddhist, who killed a hostage taker in a fully justified shooting in order to rescue a child held captive. The shooting may have been right and necessary, and he knew that he did what needed to be done ... yet somehow carried the Karma and weight of that taking of a human life in his heart for the rest of his own life.

Someone asked yesterday if killing this virus is "killing" and the taking of life, and whether it is okay to "hate" the virus. Well, we should not "hate" the virus, but we can still resist the virus and try to kill the virus (assuming that "kill" even applies to such an entity). Then we bow in Gassho to the virus. Virus is just virus. We wish it would just leave our people be so we did not have to kill it. Furthermore, the virus is just the universe, and is Buddha. Parts of the universe are as we like, and parts of the universe are not as we like. We do not reject any of the universe yet (at the same time) we must reject parts of the universe and seek to prevent them doing harm. A biologist might point out that, in the case of a virus, it is not really "alive" and sentient so it is more a matter of "deactivating" the virus, not killing. However, even if we did have to kill some life attacking ... like a tiger chasing us or a friend ... we might do so, then bow to the tiger and feel the weight of our having done so.

Gassho, J

STLah

No this is a misunderstanding, with us the heroes didn't come home, in my area the military is crawling, I'm sorry I posted the picture without an explanation, social distancing may not be used but faces are wrapped, I am sorry for any misty understanding but our military deserves credit as well putting themselves in harm's way by keeping the virus here contained in a central location and the soldiers I've been around are young kids compared to the picture, once again sorry for any miscommunication but we have military here and they deserve a little notice for being at ground zero of the virus here, no killing, no combat but compassion from our children serving

Gassho
    John
    SatLAH

Sorry for the misunderstanding
    Never assume
    Last edited by Sotozen73; 04-10-2020 at 04:10 AM.

Samurai

No this is a misunderstanding, with us the heroes didn't come home, in my area the military is crawling, I'm sorry I posted the picture without an explanation, social distancing may not be used but faces are wrapped, I am sorry for any misty understanding but our military deserves credit as well putting themselves in harm's way by keeping the virus here contained in a central location and the soldiers I've been around are young kids compared to the picture, once again sorry for any miscommunication but we have military here and they deserve a little notice for being at ground zero of the virus here, no killing, no combat but compassion from our children serving

Gassho
    John
    SatLAH

Sorry for the misunderstanding
    Never assume
    Yes, for sure. Everyone at ground zero these days deserves mention, including the train and bus drivers, the people serving food, the folks manning voting stations during elections, everyone in harms way ... soldiers all in their way today.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

I'm grateful to the people who served me at the supermarket. Real, unsung heroes.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bukowski View Post
    I'm in the U.K, and at 8 p.m. every Thursday people come out onto their front steps to applaud our keyworkers for one minute. We did this tonight. It's a very uplifting and powerful message. We have a lovely community in my street, and it's nice for us all to share in this. Cars that drive down the street beep their horns as well. Every day, at the ending of my sitting I dedicate merit to all people impacted by the covid 19 pandemic at this point.
    Yes, we were out last night clapping, my daughter was banging her pan with a wooden spoon. Its very moving and never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

Gassho

Heiso

StLah

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I am grateful to the volunteers who serve our hospice. They are sewing different kinds of masks, responding to any updates in design or preferences. They are combing all sorts of businesses for hidden stores of masks, gloves, sanitizer, alcohol, cleaning supplies, and other needs we have in providing patient care. They relentlessly scrub and disinfect everything we bring back from patient's homes and facilities. They never, ever complain, and they never, ever fail.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat. LAH.
    Be gentle. Be compassionate. Be kind.