Thread: We're All In This Together (14) - Recommendation: Pull Weeds, Plant Seeds

We're All In This Together (14) - Recommendation: Pull Weeds, Plant Seeds

Master Dogen taught, "Flowers fall even though we love them; weeds grow even though we detest them." As well, there is the universe which grows and flourishes beyond our likes and dislikes. That said, grab a scythe, pull some weeds, plant some seeds ... even in the city, fill your home with life. it is good for the heart these days. Zen folks have practiced gardening, and learned the wisdom of gardening, for centuries.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-06-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Kyotai
    Watched this this morning with a nice cup of coffee. My day off. Thank you Jundo

Gassho Kyotai

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Love it. I see at least three edible species even in this small window into your garden. You could garden, then have breakfast!

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat. LAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post
    Love it. I see at least three edible species even in this small window into your garden. You could garden, then have breakfast!

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat. LAH.
    Oh, if I post some photos tomorrow, can you help me identity those edibles? Trying to avoid vegetable shopping at the market these days, for some reason.

Of course, we will need to confirm that those are not just look-a-likes in Japan, because trying to avoid hospital trips too right now. So, I will research your information, no worries.

Lovely if we could eat our weeds, truly. I have enough "salad" out there to feed the neighborhood.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I will try! Yes, I would confirm locally. In this video I saw what appears to be young dandelion greens (edible and medicinal), purslane (one of the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet), and plantain (not the fruit; it is a broader-leaf green).

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat. LAH.

Thank you for this series, I've really appreciated them.

About a month ago I started a new vegetable garden as work was slow. Since then I have built a greenhouse, started a few new compost piles, and planted a couple dozen vegetables. It's great work for the mind.

Gassho

Nanrin

Sat today
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Nice. It is still just a little too cold here to start planting much but I have set aside part of next weekend to start on some weeding. I have a feeling I’ll be doing a lot of weeding this summer.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Right in the middle of all that.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

My wife has been planting a large garden. Not only so we can enjoy the bounty but to share with others where fresh produce is a luxury. I help and do what she asks but receive solace watching her joy and excitement.

Thank you Jundo. I look forward to your perspective each day.

Doshin
    St

Pulling weeds and planting seeds - an analogy that forever warms the heart of this humble Zen Buddhist Anarchist.
    Gassho
    Onka Anna
    Sat today/pottering later
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.