Thread: We are Invited to Witness a Celebration: Home-leaving Ordination of Doyū (now Shonin)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We are Invited to Witness a Celebration: Home-leaving Ordination of Doyū (now Shonin)

NOTE: The ceremony was beautifully and successfully conducted.

Because of a very human error, alas, now we only have a video record of a few closing moments of the ceremony (below).
    I note the very kind words offered by several witnesses regarding the beauty of this online Ceremony.

I would now like to congratuate Doyu Shonin (we should now call her "Shonin" ... True Person ... ) on her completion of Ordination.

Nine Bows, Jundo

Dear All,

Our Treeleaf member and dear friend, Doyū Risa Bear, who has been a student for many years of Soto Zen Teacher, and friend of Treeleaf, Rev. Kenshin Catherine Cascade of the Bird Haven Zendo in Oregon, will be Ordained by Rev. Kenshin as a novice Soto Zen Priest through the ritual of 'Shukke Tokudo' Homeleaving Ordination ... this coming Saturday, April 11th ...

... and we Treeleafers have the honor of being invited as guests and witnesses to this auspicious event!

Please come and support our friends and wish Doyu well as she steps through this new door.

As well, overcoming all superficial barriers and false obstacles seemingly posed by our needing to be distant and physically isolated these days, the ceremony will occur online, with Kenshin in one place, Doyu in her place, and all of us in our places ... yet we will all be in a single place, with one heart, for this event. I am pleased to say that Treeleaf Zendo has been an adviser and consultant to Bird Haven Zendo on how to conduct such a ceremony ... dropping all thought of here and there, now and then ... as we have done for many years. There is not a drop of distance, never a moment of isolation, in our unity. We have a few moments of the closing of the Ceremony here ...

From time to time, after undertaking Zen practice for many years, a person may feel in their heart a certain calling. They may wish to train in our traditions and embody them in order to keep this way alive into the next generation as clergy. They may feel a calling within themselves to live as a servant and minister to the community, to the Sangha and to all living beings. Traditionally, the entrance to undertaking the necessary training and practice as such an apprentice is the ancient ceremony of ordination in Buddhism known as Shukke Tokudo, 出家得度, “Leaving Home to Take the Way”.

Please join me in congratulating Doyu and Rev. Kenshin at this wonderful moment.

Nine Bows to All, Jundo

doyu ceremony1.jpgdoyu ceremony2.jpgdoyu ceremony3.jpgdoyu ceremony4.jpg
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-12-2020 at 09:13 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE