Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our "Face Rakusu (Face Mask)" Sewing Circle

Our "Face Rakusu (Face Mask)" Sewing Circle

Dear All,

It seems that a general consensus has emerged world-wide that face masks are of some benefit in this crisis.

Link to News Story: Do you need a mask? The science hasn't changed, but public guidance might
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...dance-n1173006

We are opening this "Face Rakusu (Face Mask)" Sewing Circle because of the shortage of such masks, and the relative ease of making one. Furthermore, for Buddhists, this is Bodhisattva Practice. This "Face Rakusu" is a true "Bodhisattva Mask" and a true Kesa (Buddhist Robe). I believe that this covering is a kind of Buddhist robe.

The Kesa represents our vow to save sentient beings, though beings numberless, and perhaps an endless task. What greater symbol of doing so than something, however inconvenient to us, that may save many someones even if a small chance? We are truly "wearing the Tathagata's Teachings" as we vow in our Robe Chant.

A Kesa is of a Purity beyond small worldly cleanliness or uncleanliness, so it does not matter that it becomes soiled. Better said, it cannot be soiled no matter its state. Putting aside any potential benefit to the wearer, we help prevent the spread of harm by our very breath of the air which we share with the world.

Our longtime Treeleaf member, Kotei, has worked hard today to put together a simple sewing course for everyone. He made the following two introductory videos and the below short PDF file of instructions. The mask design is based on a recommendation and information from a German volunteer medical brigade and is meant for a pandemic virus outbreak where you can't buy masks any more. Kotei has also volunteered to guide this sewing circle, and there is a plan to schedule one or more live "Fukudenkai" (a traditional Kesa sewing meeting) to be held soon via ZOOM in our Sangha.

PDF INSTRUCTIONS:

Face-mask How To:
    Sewing a simple face-mask
    https://sites.google.com/site/storag...edirects=0&d=1

I also recommend this as one more excellent practice to focus our minds on helping others as so many of us sit idle in our houses. This is a way to help. Please remember that wearing a mask DOES NOT reduce the need for us to continue otherwise social distancing and isolating at this time.

Monks around the world are doing so, like everyone ... and even the Buddha is joining in ...

If you have any questions about sewing, please post them here and Kotei will do his best to assist you.

Finally, we recommend that sewing become a ritual at this time, and that our sewers recite a Gatha much like this both before picking up their needles, and before placing on the Rakusu each time:

Opening the eyes for the suffering of the world
    My hands putting on the mask
    May all beings be healthy
    I am Breathing this Bodhisattva Vow

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-03-2020 at 06:36 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for posting, Jundo.

I am looking very much forward to sewing, discussing, spending time together.
    Please feel free to discuss, sew, ask, correct, bring up your own mask design and share the masks you made.

I have not yet thought about the dates for doing fukudenkai, sewing together, in our meeting room,
    but would love doing some sewing together, have a tea and help each other.

Happy sewing!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/sewn/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    I have not yet thought about the dates for doing fukudenkai, sewing together, in our meeting room,
    but would love doing some sewing together, have a tea and help each other.
    Thank you so much for doing your part to help us help beings.

When / if we start doing a Fukudenkai, I'll get it into the calendar.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Thank you Kotei.

I was at the shops today and noticed so many more people were masked up. I know this is primarily to protect others in case you are carrying the virus but as we know that you can carry it and infect others without knowing, this seems like a great idea. But here too it's getting harder to find masks, so this seems like a great idea. Also, although sewing itself can't beat a pandemic, it's a reminder that applying our practice to this situation can really do its part by encouraging mindfulness of our behavioural responsibilities, reminding us of our interconnectedness (never more apparent than now), and helping us maintain some level of calm and equanimity in the face of stressful and frightening times.

Gassho,
    Gukan - ST LAH

Lovely idea! Thank you, Kotei!

I would love to take part in this.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

This is a great idea indeed! Look forward to participating.
    Thank you, Kotei

Gassho
    Washin
    st-lah
    Kaido (有道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything what I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you Kotei for your ingenuity and giving your time to help us. Do I glimpse a YouTube channel?!!

Gassho, Chris stlah

meian st
    Not all who wander are lost. (Tolkien)
    Underestimating a warrior, serves the warrior's advantage.
    迷安 - Mei An - Wandering At Rest

Hi Friends, my wife, the Zen seamstress, will be sewing face masks for the two of us as finally we make our way to the city, about 15 miles to the hospital where I will receive a check-up for my lungs, blood sugar, hemoglobin, all blood work and check up, and especially the six month check up for my kidneys, all this on the 14th. Were this not necessary, I would with my second Zen master, my dear Marjorie, stay sequestered in our home in the town of Hartford. Marjorie is an excellent seamstress. You might recall she sewed my rakusu cover in one evening exactly to traditional pattern. She plans to make our masks from pink scrap cotton fabric. I'm looking forward to this bit of color. Lately I've been wearing bright red flannel shirt and red tee-shirt under. I plan to vigorously wash my hands "happy birthday," as I do repeatedly her at home. My doctor says the hospitals are safe here in South Dakota, USA. GREAT IDEA KOTEI.
    Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 04-04-2020 at 01:51 PM.
    The object of practice is not transcendence but transformation, yet ultimately we must transcend ourselves. (Elucidation of Dogen) in HOW TO RAISE AN OX

Thank you for your kind words.

@Sekishi
    hmm, I don't know about the best time for Fukudenkai. I am quite flexible if it's not in the middle of the night in CEST, like our Zazenkai :-(.

As I like sewing also as a meditative practice of experiencing the moment, I am ok with several, maybe repeating dates.
    Thank you for offering your help with the calendar.
    If you or anyone else has a preferred time/weekday, please let us know.
    Allowing some days to gather the material, I would pick a random date otherwise.

@Chris
    nah, not a 'real' Youtube channel... just a place, where I am dumping videos when recording for a forum, article, our art circle or something like that. Most are set 'not listed'.

@TaiShi
    stay safe my friend. I like the idea of bright, friendly colours, especially in these days.

Looking forward to sewing together,
    deep bows,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 04-04-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

This is so wonderful! I am so going to do this, we are scraping by at my (veterinary) hospital and trying to conserve the last of our surgical masks.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Now I think I know somethingís about Jakuden! Are you a vet? How wonderful to be around dogs and cats. We have a cat, and oh? How I miss our dog, but she lay down just went to sleep one day completely on her own. I miss her with these new rules. Her name was Cinco because she had 5 large brown spots, and we inherited he from my wifeís mother when her mother passed away. Marge used to say she was retired because she took such good care of Mary. Mary was 98 when she passed and Cinco was there for her right up until the end.
    Tai Sh
    sat/ lah
    Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The object of practice is not transcendence but transformation, yet ultimately we must transcend ourselves. (Elucidation of Dogen) in HOW TO RAISE AN OX

Hello fellow sewers!

Time for an update, sharing the received information/questions from Treeleafers and the corresponding facebook thread.

machine sewing?
    I can't see, why this should not work with this layout. I like the meditative 'being with the moment' of hand sewing, like we're doing with a Kesa, but of course, working with the machine has a higher output. Especially, when you're sewing larger amounts for a hospital, doctors office, retirement home or the like.
    With a machine or for faster workflow, I would maybe use a wider frame.
    The 4cm wide cuttings result in a 1cm wide frame, so using 6cm for 1.5cm frame or 8cm wide for a 2cm frame seems to promise faster working.

filter effectivity of different material
    Kokuu's fabric infos:
    A friend of mine sent me an interesting link about the ability of different fabrics to stop viral transmission which others might find helpful if they are going to sew something similar:
    https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...ce-mask-virus/
    Shinshou had some material suggestions, too:
    Some colleagues of mine here at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center just completed a study on the most effective types of hand-sewn masks. Here's an link to an article by NBC news that highlights the findings, including that "the best-performing design was made of two layers of high-quality, heavyweight “quilter’s cotton” with a thread count of 180 or more, and those with an especially tight weave and thicker thread such as batiks. A double-layer mask with a simple cotton outer layer and an inner layer of flannel also performed well."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...thers-n1175966
    Erik from facebook posted:
    Using blue shop towels in homemade face masks can filter particles 2x to 3x better than cotton, 3 clothing designers discover after testing dozens of fabrics
    https://www.businessinsider.com/home...20-4?r=DE&IR=T
    Gary from facebook posted:
    Great idea and a great service. Actually cotton t-shirt material with a pocket for a paper towel has been proven to be the best in tests but shop towels or anything is really a great idea. It is time.
    The reason they found that combination most effective is that it wicks the moisture away from any virus that may land on a towel causing them to be non-infective. Viruses not being truly 'alive'.
    Optimising the material is imho worth the effort, but I also think, that it goes more and more into the direction of 'self protection' (nothing against that, especially when sewing a mask for the high-risk people).

The idea of forming a pocket for a paper towel to prevent moisture penetration and with this prolonging the safe wearing time is a good one, too.
    As long as it's not limiting the airflow too much, one could leave the doubled centrepiece of the mask open on the topside and add another small frame piece. The centrepiece is already doubled and when having the wire in the outer 'top frame', this should work.
    Maybe a bit fiddly, putting the paper towel into the folds of the mask.

I like the info from Shinshou, that an inner layer of flannel work well. It might solve this problem and remove the paper handling, too. For our layout, putting a piece of flannel between the doubled centrepiece might be, what I am doing from now on. Maybe that has to go with a slightly wider frame, cutting 6cm wide frame pieces instead of 4cm, because of the thicker centrepiece.

concerns about how to use
    The concerns about the right usage, that were addressed, are imho covered in the pdf and first video.
    However, they contained a link about how to wash your hands the right way (after taking off the mask).
    how to wash your hands:

That's it for today ;-)
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 04-05-2020 at 02:52 PM.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

My mother in law who is a seamstress beat me to it and knocked a couple of these for me and my daughter.

This was taken as I went Bodhisattva-ing to the shops for essentials.

rsz_dsc_0138.jpg

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

The idea of forming a pocket for a paper towel to prevent moisture penetration and with this prolonging the safe wearing time is a good one, too.
    As long as it's not limiting the airflow too much, one could leave the doubled centrepiece of the mask open on the topside and add another small frame piece. The centrepiece is already doubled and when having the wire in the outer 'top frame', this should work.
    Maybe a bit fiddly, putting the paper towel into the folds of the mask.
    I am the last who should offer suggestions on sewing, but we (I am a hospice nurse) have a crew of lovely volunteers who are sewing masks that have a pocket, accessible from the inside of the mask, in which they are placing HEPA filters. I don't know where they are getting the filters, but they seem to be cut from a sheet of HEPA material, and they were able to find plenty of it (maybe a disassembled furnace filter?). They are nice because we can replace the filter when we wash the masks. My background in virology suggests to me that any added effectiveness is limited, but perhaps this is a case where something is better than nothing. I feel better about wearing them, anyway! I would not worry about limiting airflow; when we wear an N95 mask properly it is like trying to breath through a stack of paper towels.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat. LAH.

Thank you all. I am interested in sewing circle.
    Trace
    st-lah

Great videos Kotei, thank you. In case anyone can't get to a shop for plastic coated wire /pipe cleaners, the twists that you find on a lot of food packaging, and on lengths of electric cable are a reasonable substitute.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Hello,
    thank you for your interest and kind words.

Heiso, here it's the other way round, I've been sewing some for my mother ;-)

Nengei, thank you for the info. I once built a laminar flow workbench for breeding orchids with HEPA filters for a vacuum cleaner.
    Good to hear about the airflow.

I've tried the pocket version today and found it not very practical together with the folds. Personally, I will not use that :-(. That's maybe better with a different mask design.

However, as tests seem to show that two layers of a dense cotton fabric already work quite well, I am drawn to that version.
    An additional inner layer of fabric, that reduces moisture penetration, like flannel is possible with this layout/design.
    I've tried it today. Its not as easy to sew around the folds anymore.

This one here from today, has an inner flannel layer and 1.5cm frame instead of 1cm (6cm wide fabric pieces instead of 4cm):
    orange_mask.jpg

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 04-06-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

Kotei,

Thank you for your efforts in this! It is lovely to see practice coming into even this part of life.

For my part I've pulled out the sewing machines and my sitting area has turned into a sewing corner.

My two cents for those sewing with machines, there are many many (oh goodness gracious so many) patterns being posted online. If you are looking to sew for medical professionals or to donate to organizations that need them (in my area homeless shelters, food banks and the like are also asking) please check with the place you want to donate to for the pattern they are requesting. I have seen it vary from anything you can give to very specific patterns with pockets for filters and nose pieces.

For myself I'm making masks for the essential workers in my life (and their coworkers). The current goal to make 30 by Wednesday, so my sister an give them to her team as they continue working through this crisis. After that I'll be making as many as I have fabric for so they can get passed out to some of my coworkers who don't have the luxury of working at home.

The fabric in the above picture was a hand dyed fabric I had made to use for a kesa... but today it is getting cut up for a much better cause (although I'm sure no one will appreciate the "muddy grey" color.)

Gassho,

Shoka
    sat/lah
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

Face Rakusu Care:

The CDC [Center for Disease Control in the USA] is recommending masks “should be routinely washed depending on the frequency of use.”

The guidance recommended: “A washing machine should suffice in properly washing a face covering.”

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

The California Department of Public Health recommends frequently washing masks —after each use or daily.

Wash with detergent and hot water; dry on a hot cycle or hot, soapy water.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...-Guidance.aspx
    Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-07-2020 at 02:56 AM.

And if, like me, you wear glasses..
    http://blog.japanesecreations.com/ho..._hsmi=85924403

Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Hello,

Shoka, that sounds like lovely practice for the benefit of others, too!

Jundo, thanks for posting, I feel this in line with the recommendations from the howto (maybe the ones in the howto being a bit on the safe side):
    (the second link gives me a timeout over here)
    By the nature of its function, a mask collects virus molecules from the surrounding, while youíre breathing through it. The longer youíre wearing it, the more it becomes itself a source of infection.

Donít touch the front of it. Donít continue using it when it becomes completely wet from breathing. Donít use it for extended time periods or the next day. Discard the single use ones, machine-wash the reusable ones at 90įC or cook it for about 5 minutes on the stove. Having more than one reusable mask may be useful because of that procedure.
    Informations, received after preparing the videos say that thorough ironing does the job of disinfection, too. That seems much easier.
    Wash or disinfect your hands thoroughly after taking the mask off.
    Some sources say that washing at/above 60įC is sufficient.
    The information, that thorough ironing inactivates the virus, is from a podcast of "Christian Drosten", a virologist who does research on the Sars-CoV-2 virus and new occurring viruses in general and who is a bit like the voice of scientific rationality, over here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Drosten

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 04-07-2020 at 07:37 AM.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    And if, like me, you wear glasses..
    http://blog.japanesecreations.com/ho..._hsmi=85924403

Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    I've been wandering round various shops all steamed up, is there a solution?

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Quote Originally Posted by Heiso View Post
    I've been wandering round various shops all steamed up, is there a solution?

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah
    Yes there is, did you read it? I had to go out to the supermarket this morning and I inserted a twist tie into the top seam of my home made mask (a slightly different design to Kotei's), pinched it closed over my nose and no steam up!
    I also appreciate the advice in this thread above about breathing normally - I've felt slightly panicky wearing a mask because I've felt like I was suffocating, but as our medics are doing extraordinary things while wearing masks I knew it was all in my head, so today I took a moment to concentrate on breathing naturally and normally which worked. So thank you again.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

As an embalmer I wore a mask(s) everyday for 10 or 12 years. It would be impossible to do the job if you were the least bit anxious about wearing a mask let alone breathing too shallow. That makes you dizzy in no time.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

This is great timing! I was just thinking of looking up instructions for sewing my own masks this afternoon! Thank you

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Me as an Embalmer ready to Embalm:
    (wearing face mask, gloves, apron,Bunny Suit and knee high rubber boots)

embalmer.jpg

25 years ago

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shokai; 04-08-2020 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Me as an Embalmer ready to Embalm:
    I know many folks and families were in your good hands.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - That's kind of how I dress to go to the grocery store now.

I hope to try this soon. A homeless outreach center that is so very dear to my heart just sent out a "call to action" asking for homemade masks for its centers. Considering the size of our homeless population and how often I've called their hotline for advice and assistance.... I'd like to help out in this way.

Gassho2
    Meian

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hello,

I am picking up regular sewing again,
    so I'll start sewing online 'Face-Rakusu Fukendenkai' in our Treeleaf now - Meetingroom from now on and would love having company.
    Honestly, I have no idea about the best weekday and time for doing so, so please let me know if another date suits you better.

For the next weeks I'll be there, sewing at (I hope, that I have the world-times right and the Meeting room is free at those times... ):

Tuesdays 8pm - 9pm CEST that is 9pm Kyiv, 7pm London, 11am Los Angeles, 2pm New York
    Fridays 10am - 11am CEST that is 11am Kyiv, 9am London, 1am Los Angeles, 4am New York

- In case you have a (Non-Face-)Rakusu, please enter with already wearing it.
    - I'll start with chanting the Face-Rakusu Gatha:
    Opening the eyes for the suffering of the world
    My hands putting on the mask
    May all beings be healthy
    I am Breathing this Bodhisattva Vow
    - normally, a Fukudenkai is silent sewing. We can of course share about the mask, help each other, answer questions, but will return to silent sewing again.
    - no need to start a new mask with the meeting and finish it in the hour. It's about sewing, being with the moment, however progressed your work is at that point.
    - I'll drink tea with the sewing.
    - If you just want to sit with the sewers, or sew on your Kesa, or make a case for your Rakusu, you're of course welcome, too!

Looking forward to sewing, sharing, spending time together.
    Deep bows,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 04-08-2020 at 06:42 PM.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

And I made a mask from Koei"s videomask.jpg

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah

I don't have the proper materials for trying a mask, but I may work on a different project for elderly/disabled shut-ins in my city. They also requested help and it is something simple I can do. So maybe I can do that until I have the correct items for masks.

Gassho, Meian

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    And I made a mask from Koei"s video
    Gassho, Shokai
    stlah

Thank you for posting the photo and saving sentient beings!
    May you and the ones around you be safe.

Meian,
    thank you for helping and caring.
    Besides the obvious beneficial deed, there is imho always the part, that shows someone a personal, social connection.
    Knowing someone caring, helping, helps not to make a real 'social distancing' out of the practiced physical one.

Deep bows,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 04-10-2020 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

Have been working on my first face rakusu. I may not be able to join the fukudenkai at those times, but I am sewing alongside you anyway. Thank you Kotei!!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Have been working on my first face rakusu. I may not be able to join the fukudenkai at those times, but I am sewing alongside you anyway. Thank you Kotei!!
    Looking good. I think you're living 6 hours west of me (-6h)... That places every local daytime fukudenkai date into your night or first half of your day. I guess that none of those would fit better :-(.
    But you're right, we're sewing together nevertheless. Thank you for letting me know.

Deep bows,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

One done! And the wire is awesome, i can pinch it so it doesnít fog up my glasses.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

The dark green colour goes well together with the white coat and looks very professional together.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 04-14-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Great idea Kotei. I found some strips of material left over from my Rakusu sewing and prepped all the pieces (should make 2 or 3). Just need to find some old shoelaces and needle and thread ! Deep bows.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Great idea Kotei. I found some strips of material left over from my Rakusu sewing and prepped all the pieces (should make 2 or 3). Just need to find some old shoelaces and needle and thread !

Today's mask:
    Foto am 14.04.20 um 21.02 #5.jpg

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

These masks are looking brilliant folks!
    Keep being awesome.
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    On Ka
    穏 火
    aka Anna Kissed.
    No Gods No Masters.
    Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

The dark green colour goes well together with the white coat and looks very professional together.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Thank you! Unfortunately the lack of a haircut kind of precludes a really well-groomed appearance, but since we are talking to clients on the phone rather than having them come in the building, it doesn't matter too much. LOL. Mine was also made with scraps of leftover Rakusu fabric, now I know why I held onto them!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c416a15d72.jpg

One done! And the wire is awesome, i can pinch it so it doesn’t fog up my glasses.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Today's mask:
    Foto am 14.04.20 um 21.02 #5.jpg

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    These are way cool!

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today (going to start sewing soon)
    Kaido (有道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything what I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you for the instructions. Extra rakusu fabric worked nicely.

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sat today

Thank you for sewing and bodhisattva-ing!
    Looking good

It seems that we've finally found a use for our Rakusu fabric leftovers... very appropriate... I'll search for mine in the sewing drawer, too.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

Moving on to the next mask, this one is already looking a lot better than the first lol

Anyone else finding that sewing is extra soothing right now?

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN

These masks are terrific.
    At this point in time I'm literally unable to do any sewing so am wearing a neck sock microfiber thingy that I wear on my motorcycle so as to not eat bugs. Nowhere near as awesome as these masks but hey, you do what you can when you can how you can.
    Have a great day face Rakusu sewing folk.
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    On Ka
    穏 火
    aka Anna Kissed.
    No Gods No Masters.
    Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    (...)
    Anyone else finding that sewing is extra soothing right now?
    After sewing some masks, I am thinking about taking up a larger project again...
    So yes, stitch by stitch, being with this moment and this moment and this moment... fits well with the current situation.

Onka,
    Wearing a mask while having troubles to breath sounds not very pleasant.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

Thank you Jundo for posting and thank you Kotei for showing.
    Like in Germany, no masks are available in the shops/Pharmacies in Belgium.

Gassho/SatToday
    流道
    Ryū Dou

Hello,

beginning with next Monday, wearing a mask while shopping or on public transport is mandatory in my hometown.
    There are still not enough to buy, but they are hoping for the availability of single use paper-masks.

I've found the leftover fabric pieces from my first Rakusu and the Oryoki set.
    Here is the mask from today's Fukudenkai made of that fabric.
    Thank you for sewing together.

Foto am 21.04.20 um 21.09.jpg

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

Finished mask #2. I am learning that these are indeed much superior for wearing all day at work to the ones that go over the ears, which hurt, and the ones that donít have wire, which get in your eyes and fog up glasses

Gassho
    Jakuden

清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN