Thread: Password Protecting Our Zoom Meetings

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar

Lightbulb Password Protecting Our Zoom Meetings

Hello everyone,

As Zoom gains popularity during social distancing under COVID-19, there are an increasing number of incidents of "Zoombombing" (hackers, trolls, and other ne'er-do-wells disrupting meetings, posting links to malware, etc.). Many of the issues can be mitigated through Zoom's settings (like disallowing screensharing without host permission). Wherever possible we have attempted to take appropriate steps to protect against this.

Incidentally, we will never post links to documents or other downloads in the Zoom chat - if you see links posted there, please do not follow them.

Anyhow, I'm posted today because there is a new tool out this week that makes it trivially easy for bad actors to get lists of all open and scheduled Zoom meetings. I believe this will make it MUCH easier to disrupt meetings at a large scale.

To address this situation, on Friday April 3 we are going to switch the Treeleaf meeting rooms over to use password protection. The password will always be something simple in all lower case (e.g. we do not need it to be a "strong password"). If the password needs to be changed, I will update it below.

- 2020-04-03: dogen

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Last edited by Sekishi; 04-02-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Updates:

1. There is a way we can bypass the password though a specially formed link. So links from Treeleaf NOW will *not* require a password (joining directly from Zoom using the room number still will however).
    2. I'm doing testing and updates to Treeleaf NOW using the Meeting room (483 483 1200) right now. Nothing is scheduled to use it before this weekend (so I figured it was safe) - but if you do need it for some reason, just use the password "dogen".

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Thank you tech ninja Sekishi for all that you do.
    Gassho
    Onka Anna
    On Ka
    穏 火
    aka Anna Kissed.
    No Gods No Masters.
    Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

Sekishi is our Temple Guardian. It is actually an ancient office.

Traditionally, "closing backdoors" in a Buddhist temple meant this ...

And statues of these Nio protectors are placed at the entrance, just in case ...

We have Sekishi. (Sekishi, we need to take a picture of you and Seimyo in the Nio pose, 6-pack abs and all!)

By the way, these days, for wooden temples in Japan and the rest of Asia, there is the problem of folks who want to steal the statues (thus most important Buddha Statues in Japan now have embedded chips for tracing) and the donation box (cctv cameras these days).

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I just read about this in the news and thought, Hmmmm...maybe I should forward this to Jundo or Sekishi to make sure they are aware of this. I should have known, they're already on the case.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    We have Sekishi. (Sekishi, we need to take a picture of you and Seimyo in the Nio pose, 6-pack abs and all!)
    I'll have to draw them on with a sharpie. But that is ok, because if I've learned anything from recent history it is this: sharpie drawings are as real as real.

Dogen wrote*:

In drawing abs with a sharpie you use the same materials as you would to paint a landscape (or update a hurricane map). You can use blue pigment to paint mountains and rivers and a sharpie to draw in abs. The work of composition is the same. This being so, biceps, triceps, and fierce Nio faces are all these "drawn on 6-pack abs"

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #sharpie

*no, no he didn't.
    sekishi
    石志

Hi all,

The changes have been made. I tested the Meeting Room, Free Sitting Room, and Scheduled Sitting Room. All required the password when opening directly from Zoom. None required the password when clicking the link in Treeleaf NOW. None supported chat or screen sharing.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    sekishi
    石志

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

You're the best, Sekishi, sharpie abs or no sharpie abs. And thanks for always having a cool tidbit of info, Jundo! I just wish I could remember it all!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

A present for Sekishi ... our Temple Protector.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

You know, if you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have realized it was a photoshop!

So grateful to have a role to play around here.

Thank you.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #thosesixpacksarescary!
    sekishi
    石志

Random: Zoom is considering changing the settings on all rooms to use a "waiting room". E.g. participants go to a "waiting room" first, and then the host lets them in to the meeting room. As of right now this is not the case, but if they do switch it, we may lose the FSR (because there is no "host" to let people in). If anyone bumps into this (or has ANY other issues), please PM me or post here.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    sekishi
    石志

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Random: Zoom is considering changing the settings on all rooms to use a "waiting room". E.g. participants go to a "waiting room" first, and then the host lets them into the meeting room. As of right now, this is not the case, but if they do switch it, we may lose the FSR (because there is no "host" to let people in).
    I have a suggestion if this change happens. We could create the role of FSR Gatekeeper.

Sangha members would volunteer to become FSR Gatekeepers for a certain amount of time each day (perhaps 1 hour a day, for example). The job is simple: hosting the FSR, letting people in through the "Zendo gates".

Volunteers Gatekeepers can use the Zoom app on their phones or computer. They just need to set up a notification—sound or vibration—for when visitors pop in so they can let them in the room. It would be a relatively easy task, especially when using the phone. Gatekeepers don't need to have the video or the audio on. They just need to "open the gates", as it were.

Unfortunately, Gatekeepers would not be able to sit as well, as they need to be on standby. But I think it's a rewarding "job". I see it as a part of the daily LAH. You donate 1 hour of your day to help Sangha members practice.

We would probably need a dedicated FSR Gatekeeper forum thread with a sticky schedule. From a practical point of view, each Gatekeeper has to be added as a co-host of the FSR room/meeting. I don't know how many co-hosts can be set up on Zoom. If there's a limit, we could create multiple recurring daily meetings, of course. Each Gatekeeper/host would be responsible for their "rooms", i.e. meetings. Information on how to enter the room would be available in the appropriate forum thread.

At the moment, if the need arises, I could be the Gatekeeper between 10:00 and 11:00 a.m. and perhaps between 9:00 and 10:00 p.m. (Central European Time).

EDIT: Gatekeepers can also protect the FSR against Zoombombing or any trolls, in case of need. Just a thought.

Just a suggestion I thought about after reading this thread...

Gassho,

Luigi
    ST with the universe
    Last edited by Luigi; 04-20-2020 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Added the 'EDIT' part
    "Zazen is good for nothing."
    Kōdō Sawaki (1880-1965)

Thanks Luigi, if need arise, I'd help as "gatekeeper". It seems worthy practice: giving to the sangha without expectations...just sitting attentively in service of others

Gassho, Chris stlah

Luigi, that is a fantastic idea and I would like to thank everyone for all of their hard work to help the sangha. Deepest bows to all of you jewels, and as soon as I figure out how the FSR works I'm sure there are days I could volunteer to help out in one way or another!

Gassho,

Joshua
    SatToday/lah

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyPenguin View Post
    Luigi, that is a fantastic idea and I would like to thank everyone for all of their hard work to help the sangha. Deepest bows to all of you jewels, and as soon as I figure out how the FSR works I'm sure there are days I could volunteer to help out in one way or another!

Gassho,

Joshua
    SatToday/lah

Joshua,

Feel free to message one of the Unsui if you need directions on the free sitting room (FSR), we're here to help.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sat
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

Hi Luigi,

I think this is a really interesting idea. I'd be interested to see if we could gather enough volunteer "gatekeepers" to police the FSR 24/7. I have a guess that there would be some holes in the schedule, but thats just a hunch based on nothing really.

To play devil's advocate (this REALLY is not something I would want to do): if we had volunteers who could show up at the same day and time week in and week out, would it just be better to have them host sittings in the SSR? If so, for the time being we could just shut down the FSR and use the SSR for all sittings. As Zoom adapts to our new reality and adds more access controls, etc. we could revisit the FSR in the future.

Anyhow, I'm not arguing any particular course of action here. Just throwing out ideas. Thank you again for the "gatekeepers" idea Luigi.

Deep bows to all,
    Sekishi
    #sat

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    I have a suggestion if this change happens. We could create the role of FSR Gatekeeper.

Sangha members would volunteer to become FSR Gatekeepers for a certain amount of time each day (perhaps 1 hour a day, for example). The job is simple: hosting the FSR, letting people in through the "Zendo gates".

Volunteers Gatekeepers can use the Zoom app on their phones or computer. They just need to set up a notification—sound or vibration—for when visitors pop in so they can let them in the room. It would be a relatively easy task, especially when using the phone. Gatekeepers don't need to have the video or the audio on. They just need to "open the gates", as it were.

Unfortunately, Gatekeepers would not be able to sit as well, as they need to be on standby. But I think it's a rewarding "job". I see it as a part of the daily LAH. You donate 1 hour of your day to help Sangha members practice.

We would probably need a dedicated FSR Gatekeeper forum thread with a sticky schedule. From a practical point of view, each Gatekeeper has to be added as a co-host of the FSR room/meeting. I don't know how many co-hosts can be set up on Zoom. If there's a limit, we could create multiple recurring daily meetings, of course. Each Gatekeeper/host would be responsible for their "rooms", i.e. meetings. Information on how to enter the room would be available in the appropriate forum thread.

At the moment, if the need arises, I could be the Gatekeeper between 10:00 and 11:00 a.m. and perhaps between 9:00 and 10:00 p.m. (Central European Time).

EDIT: Gatekeepers can also protect the FSR against Zoombombing or any trolls, in case of need. Just a thought.

Just a suggestion I thought about after reading this thread...
    sekishi
    石志

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    If we had volunteers who could show up at the same day and time week in and week out, would it just be better to have them host sittings in the SSR? If so, for the time being we could just shut down the FSR and use the SSR for all sittings. As Zoom adapts to our new reality and adds more access controls, etc. we could revisit the FSR in the future.
    Hi Sekishi,

That actually makes a lot of sense. If Zoom changes, that's probably the best course of action!

Gassho,

Luigi
    ST
    "Zazen is good for nothing."
    Kōdō Sawaki (1880-1965)

I personally love the freedom associated with the FSR, as I have a three year old my schedules are required to be, for lack of a better word, quite fluid for the time being. Would shutting down the FSR temporarily result in more scheduled sits? I love to sit with everyone, but my times are not set in stone

Gassho,

Joshua
    SatToday/Lah

Hey everyone,

I just want to make sure no one reads these posts and thinks we are shutting down the free sitting room. That is not currently the plan.

Also to date we have not had a zoombombing problem. Its just with an abundance of caution that we added the passwords since the problem was and is occurring to others. And from what I have been told it is pretty awful what they do, so we want to try to prevent that which is why a password was added.

If at some point we do start have to zoombombing issues then we can take more steps if needed, but for now the password is enough.

Gassho,

Shoka
    Sat

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyPenguin View Post
    I personally love the freedom associated with the FSR, as I have a three year old my schedules are required to be, for lack of a better word, quite fluid for the time being. Would shutting down the FSR temporarily result in more scheduled sits? I love to sit with everyone, but my times are not set in stone
    As Shoka says, we are not currently planning to shut down the FSR. I was just thinking out loud about how we might utilize volunteers / gatekeepers if "Zoombombing" were to become an issue (e.g. we might just try to get more scheduled sits instead).

Sorry for causing any confusion.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    sekishi
    石志