Thread: wearing a Bodhisattva mask

wearing a Bodhisattva mask

Hello,

today, I was listening to a recent official 'corona update' from the RKI (Robert Koch Institute) over here in Germany.
    Unlike in asian countries, we're not used to wearing face masks in the public when having a cold.

There are two basic types of masks, those mainly for caregivers, that actually hold back viruses and those face masks, for protecting others from your own potential infection.
    Some cities are planning on making the latter ones obligatory for everyone shopping in supermarkets or on public transports.

Someone on the news talked about wearing such a face mask as a courteous act and a humanistic duty.
    Obligatory or not, I'll start wearing one of those in public now, thinking about my bodhisattva vow.
    I don't want to infect others with spreading my droplets in case I am infected and don't know about it.

I wasn't able to buy some (sold out) and so I decided on using my Rakusu sewing skills to make one that can be boiled out to be useable again.

delete face rakusu.jpg

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-03-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

Lovely Face Rakusu!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-01-2020 at 07:04 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you.
    These masks are only meant to prevent spitting at others while talking and sneezing etc., it's about protecting others.
    There is next to no use for protecting oneself. They can even be harmful if worn too long, because you can collect viruses with them from the air.
    On the other hand, when we're all wearing these masks in the supermarkets, the amount of virus in the air is expected to be significantly reduced.
    The first city in Germany made it mandatory.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 04-01-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

Lovely job, Kotei! I think that whatever little things we can do at this time should be done, and that certainly includes wearing a face mask.

A friend of mine sent me an interesting link about the ability of different fabrics to stop viral transmission which others might find helpful if they are going to sew something similar:

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...ce-mask-virus/

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

Thank you Kotei and Kokuu.

It wouldn't surprise me if the WHO changes their position before long. In the studies I have seen it is clear the the N95 masks work much better, and the surgical masks were not near as good - but they had some defectiveness. So a less is better than none. Plus lots of folks have mild cases so wearing the masks before they start feeling unwell might also help cut down on spreading the virus.

Just my random thought about all this.

Oh, and the other day I saw a video on making a mask out of HVAC filters!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.

Dear All,

I posted some information above from the World Health Organization on the mask issue. Really, I should not have done so for several reasons, one of which is that even the experts seem all over the place on this (and there are perhaps many reasons why doing so may be helpful in indirect and surprising ways.)

Do you need a mask? The science hasn't changed, but public guidance might
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...dance-n1173006

Let me leave that question to the experts, and simply comment on why Kotei's "face Rakusu" is a true "Bodhisattva Mask" and a true Kesa (Buddhist Robe):

The Kesa represents our vow to save sentient beings, though beings numberless, and perhaps an endless task. What greater symbol of doing so than something, however inconvenient to us, that may save many someones even if a small chance? We are truly "wearing the Tathagata's Teachings" as we vow in our Robe Chant.

A Kesa is of a Purity beyond small worldly cleanliness or uncleanliness, so it does not matter that it becomes soiled. Better said, it cannot be soiled no matter its state.

Monks around the world are doing so now ...

... although, frankly, I wish they would also find some "social distancing" alternative to their Alms Rounds now (Alms from Amazon?? )

And in Japan, Buddhist Priests ... and even Buddha Statues ... are doing so (although, again, I hope that they do the ceremonies by Zoom right now, especially some of those older priests) ...

So, I was not kidding when I called Kotei's creation a "Face Rakusu." It truly is.

Kotei, would you consider leading a small sewing group online, if you have time, to teach our other members to sew a Face Rakusu?

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Kotei, would you consider leading a small sewing group online, if you have time, to teach our other members to sew a Face Rakusu?
    Thank you Jundo.

I would love sewing together, teaching each other, share what I know.
    The version I did is a recommendation from a german aid organisation, the medical arm of a voluntary fire brigade group.
    There are others, but this one, including a bit of bendable wire above the nose, is said to be one of the better fitting.
    Maybe I should start with compiling the informations I have in a little howto pdf.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

Lovely masks Kotei.
    Jains have been wearing masks forever too.
    Proper surgical masks are hard to get hold of in Australia so much so that the government has put out a call to businesses to diversify if they can to produce surgical masks, disposable gowns and ventilators until this time passes.
    Suitable industrial masks aren't available in huge numbers either as the recent bushfire crisis depleted stocks.
    My partner and I have been told to just do what we can with what we have. My brilliantly brutal GP essentially says this is a waste of time but my partner's GP insists that both she and I either use a bandana or a neck sock thingy that I wear so not to eat bugs when motorcycling.
    I'm not convinced that these two alternatives will prevent us from exposure but living quite isolated (without grocery, pharmacy or medical appointments we could easily not see a single person for weeks), keeping my partner at home except for her fortnightly GP visits and blood tests, practicing social distancing, and washing hands to within an inch of their life before opening the ute to drive home mean that we're trying to do our bit.
    I'm doing our grocery shop in dribs and drabs as shelves are sporadically stocked but the elderly and us disabled folk get to go in an hour earlier to avoid the ongoing panic buying. I wear my neck sock as a gesture of solidarity with my fellow shoppers who are vulnerable. I wear it to show them that I care about their health. I wear it as a sign of unity that we are all in this together.
    The huge irony of wearing a mask now is that in anarchist and anti-fascist circles as well as the police and far right, I was well known for never attempting to hide my face no matter what activities I was conducting.
    Gassho
    Onka Anna
    Last edited by Onka; 04-01-2020 at 08:01 AM.
    On Ka
    穏 火
    aka Anna Kissed.
    No Gods No Masters.
    Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

Very nice My wife is getting her sewing machine ready to support our local hospital, and maybe it's time for me to get back to sewing, too, as it has been some time since I did something.

Gassho
    Souchi

SatToday

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Souchi View Post
    Very nice My wife is getting her sewing machine ready to support our local hospital, and maybe it's time for me to get back to sewing, too, as it has been some time since I did something.
    Just a note for folks in the US who live near a JoAnn Fabrics - you may be able to get instructions and free kits for sewing masks for donating to those who need them: https://www.joann.com/make-to-give-response/

They also have a few different patterns available for free download on their site.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #sewed
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Just a note for folks in the US who live near a JoAnn Fabrics - you may be able to get instructions and free kits for sewing masks for donating to those who need them: https://www.joann.com/make-to-give-response/

They also have a few different patterns available for free download on their site.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #sewed
    That's a terrific initiative. My partner came across a group during our recent bushfire crisis here that knitted, crocheted and sewed pouches for the animals recovering from burns.
    I love this kind of stuff more than words can express.
    My wish for all who inhabit this magnificent lump of rock in space is that one day we'll realise that we can practice this love, compassion, generosity and thoughtfulness beyond the terrible times.
    Gassho
    Onka Anna
    On Ka
    穏 火
    aka Anna Kissed.
    No Gods No Masters.
    Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Here in the US we may finally see a reversal to the “do not wear a mask” drumbeat we’ve been hearing since this began. https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...olicyreversal/

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks so much - going to get my sewing machine out.
    Really feel we should have been wearing masks from the get go.

Gassho

Jinyo

sat today

We are going to open a "Face Rakusu" sewing circle, led by Kotei, with simple video instructions in a day or so. Stay tuned!

Kotei is working hard prepping the instructions.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    We are going to open a "Face Rakusu" sewing circle, led by Kotei, with simple video instructions in a day or so. Stay tuned!

Kotei is working hard prepping the instructions.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Thank you all for caring.

I am compiling a pdf and a howto video for a mask that can be done with hand or machine sewing (the video is about the hand sewing, but the mask is the same).
    Hope to finish it in some hours (a day). The mask is based on a recommendation and short howto of a German volunteer medical brigade and meant for a pandemic virus outbreak where you can't buy masks any more. Well... somehow we're in that right now.
    The mask includes a piece of wire / pipe cleaner above the nose for a better fit and is sewn of rectangular pieces of fabric.
    Here is the one, I did for the video/pdf, I am cutting right now:

final_howto_mask.jpg final_howto_mask2.jpg
    I would like doing some fukudenkai, online sewing session together, when we're having the sewing circle / howto ready.
    Not necessary with this exact mask, but answering questions, drinking tea, sewing together.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

This is awesome, thanks for the inspiration, Kotei. I have a lot of material left over from my rakusu so it will literally be a face kesa for me.
    Our sewing machine is at my in laws so I'll be hand sewing and taking refuge each stitch all over again!

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Dear All,

Our Treeleaf "Face Rakusu (Face Mask)" Sewing Circle is now officially open, at the following link:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-Sewing-Circle

A special thank you to Kotei for his hard work today in organizing this and guiding our Sewing Circle.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-03-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Feel free to move this information over to the sewing circle forum if it would be more valuable there.

Some colleagues of mine here at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center just completed a study on the most effective types of hand-sewn masks. Here's an link to an article by NBC news that highlights the findings, including that "the best-performing design was made of two layers of high-quality, heavyweight “quilter’s cotton” with a thread count of 180 or more, and those with an especially tight weave and thicker thread such as batiks. A double-layer mask with a simple cotton outer layer and an inner layer of flannel also performed well."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...thers-n1175966

I've received about 60 hand-sewn masks here in Geriatrics from various volunteers around the region. They're coming in very useful to give to high-risk patients rather than giving them basic surgical masks, which can be used by healthcare staff.

Sat Today
    Shinshou (Daniel)

Thank you Shinshou!
    I will include your material information and also that posted by Kokuu and the one from the corresponding posting on facebook in the sewing thread! https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-Sewing-Circle
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

A picture from Thailand on CNN today, no further details ... His mask may be a Kesa ...

Gassho, J

STLah