Thread: Focus on creation

Focus on creation

Hi Folks,

I am still working on ways to stay positive during this difficult time. One of the things I am doing is trying to focus on creativity. I have decided that I am going to take this time to focus on improving my guitar skills and so I am learning Travis picking (a kind of fingerpicking - I don't do any kind of fingerpicking). I am a punk guy from way back to it is a very different style of playing for me. But I want to try and turn a dark time into a a place that leads to new ways to be creative.

I really want to try and focus on the light and not the darkness.

I am also revisiting Origami - something I have not done for probably 20 years. I find the idea of taking a simple square of paper - really just nothing - and turning it into a creation very calming and rewarding.

Please feel free to share any ways you are learning, growing, or creating during these troubling times.

Cooperix and Meitou have a great related thread going over in the Art Circle talking about Art as a Healing Practice. That you might want to check out.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...aling-Practice

And I am going to leave this song because it makes me hopeful.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Sorry, it looks like you have to go to Youtube to actually watch the video - but you probably already know the song.
    Last edited by Shinshi; 03-28-2020 at 10:55 PM.
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.

I also have the origami bug right now. Something about the sounds it makes while working on it...

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyudo Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    I also have the origami bug right now. Something about the sounds it makes while working on it...

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    ASMR?

Autonomous sensory meridian response, sometimes auto sensory meridian response, is a tingling sensation that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine. A pleasant form of paresthesia, it has been compared with auditory-tactile synesthesia and may overlap with frisson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autono...idian_response
    Gassho, J

STLag
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I am learning modern Hebrew. Lots of fun.

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    ASMR?

Gassho, J

STLag
    I have had ASMR and frisson since I was a kid! It was so confusing trying to explain it to people when I was younger. It's so nice that people actually know what it is now. So yes, making origami definitely falls within my ASMR "triggers" as they call it.

I have been making paper cranes since I was little. I think my Mom taught me how when I was about five or six. When I go out and encounter some square paper of any size, I will make a crane and leave it for someone to find.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyudo Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

(When I go out and encounter some square paper of any size, I will make a crane and leave it for someone to find. )

That is so cool Geika. I've always wanted to learn but never got a chance to get into it until now, I was really thinking about trying it out and seen this thread, thanks guys and especially Jundo for the video.

Gassho
    John
    Sat/Today LAH

Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    I am learning modern Hebrew. Lots of fun.

Then for you, ASMR Hebrew ...

Gasshalom, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Sotozen73 View Post
    (When I go out and encounter some square paper of any size, I will make a crane and leave it for someone to find. )

That is so cool Geika. I've always wanted to learn but never got a chance to get into it until now, I was really thinking about trying it out and seen this thread, thanks guys and especially Jundo for the video.

Gassho
    John
    Sat/Today LAH

That's a great initiative Shinshi. I picked up studying Japanese again.

Gassho,
    Seibu
    Sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Sotozen73 View Post
    Thank you for reminding me on the Yuki Tatsumi "Japanese Tip" collection, made by customers folding the paper sleeves that cover chopsticks at Japanese restaurants.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

Hi all

I totally agree that now is a wonderful time to be creative! Even if you suddenly have school age children at home with you unexpectedly, doing creative projects with can be lovely (although I know how quickly they can burn through our creative resources and still want more. Kudos to all teachers!).

Great to hear about so many inspiring ideas!

Meitou and Anne have created a beautiful space for sharing any artistic creations at this time in the Art Circle. Please do make use of it:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...aling-Practice

My creations continue with writing my blog and poetry mostly.

bird on a wire
    an ICU nurse
    adjusts his face mask

Also, if you feeling overwhelmed at the moment with no energy left to be creative, that is totally fine too.
    Many people are saying this is a good time to write that novel or learn a new language but if you are basically holding on to life by the edges, just making it through day by day is an incredibly act of creativity.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Thank you for reminding me on the Yuki Tatsumi "Japanese Tip" collection, made by customers folding the paper sleeves that cover chopsticks at Japanese restaurants.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Wow that is. cool thanks for sharing.

Gassho
    John
    SatLah

Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    My wife, who is Japanese, had never heard of this as a formal "tipping" custom. Now that l think of it, l have seen men "doodling" with little bits of Origami while out drinking and such, just to fool around. But l had never thought of this as a tip. Hmmm. Like in the west, the restaurant business has its own interesting customs.

An article about this ...

https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/...by-diners.html

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-29-2020 at 01:48 PM.

I am taking this opportunity to work on a musical project I have been considering for a while. A solo recording of a handful of my own compositions. I am still working out the kinks in my concept but I think I’ll have time.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Then for you, ASMR Hebrew ...

Gasshalom, J

STLah
    תודה!

PS: It was actually pretty creepy.

I started a garden journal. I bought a blank page book and am cataloging, drawing, photographing, painting, note-taking, scheduling, planning, diagrams, listing and documenting every thing I see and do in my garden from March to November. I've always done pencil drawing but I am trying to learn different things like, brush pens and colored pencil.

Gassho
    ST-lah
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    I have had ASMR and frisson since I was a kid! It was so confusing trying to explain it to people when I was younger. It's so nice that people actually know what it is now. So yes, making origami definitely falls within my ASMR "triggers" as they call it.

I have been making paper cranes since I was little. I think my Mom taught me how when I was about five or six. When I go out and encounter some square paper of any size, I will make a crane and leave it for someone to find.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    Back in the late 80 and early 90s I worked with the chronically mentally ill in an outreach program whose mission was to do everything possible to enable folks to live independently. We would often take folks to their appointments with service providers, or the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, or Social Security etc. This often involved waiting around. So I would fold and then leave the origami in the waiting room. It became sort of a joke that other team members knew I had been there before them because they would see my origami.

My favorite fold is a crow. I think I have mentioned before I have a thing for crows (all corvids really). Like I said I hadn't folded in a long time and I realized that I couldn't remember how to fold it. I decided to just let my hands do their thing and even though I couldn't recall how to make it the muscle memory was there.

During that same time frame I would fold my tip and leave it at the restaurant or bar I was at. This is a fold I came up with back then. A little howling coyote.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.

Shinshi,

Oh I love that dollar bill howling coyote! What a fabulous tip to leave. Adding lightness and smiles to the world.

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    Shinshi,

Oh I love that dollar bill howling coyote! What a fabulous tip to leave. Adding lightness and smiles to the world.

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~
    Thank you Anne. I have decided that once things return to normal I cam going to start the practice again.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi

Restaurants is usually where I leave them too! The little paper napkin wrap is usually good, if you can make them tiny, and I'll put it on the tip.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyudo Geika

I've just remembered I have a pack or origami paper in the drawer, I'll teach myself to make cranes, thank you for the inspiration!

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Quote Originally Posted by Heiso View Post
    I've just remembered I have a pack or origami paper in the drawer, I'll teach myself to make cranes, thank you for the inspiration!

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah
    Me too - what a lovely idea.

Great thread,

sat today