Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Art as a Healing Practice

Jundo,
    Thanks for posting Yakoi Kusama's writing.
    She is quite something, how in her ninth decade continuing to make her art.

And Jishin, you continue to startle with your images!

bows
    Anne

~lahst~

Hey everyone,

I dont usually consider what I do "art", but as I was describing what I was working on to a friend she reminded me its called fiber arts for a reason.

So here is the "art" loosely defined that I've been working on.

Spinning yarn and dyeing. The first picture is of natural wool that I spun into a light worsted weight yarn. Then it was dyed, the intention is to create stripes. After it dries all the way it will be knit it into a beanie. Something colorful and cheery.

Gassho,

Shoka
    Sat

20200420_180737.jpg20200421_094000.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shoka View Post
    Hey everyone,

I dont usually consider what I do "art", but as I was describing what I was working on to a friend she reminded me its called fiber arts for a reason.

So here is the "art" loosely defined that I've been working on.

Spinning yarn and dyeing. The first picture is of natural wool that I spun into a light worsted weight yarn. Then it was dyed, the intention is to create stripes. After it dries all the way it will be knit it into a beanie. Something colorful and cheery.

Gassho,

Shoka
    Sat

20200420_180737.jpg20200421_094000.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Such gorgeous work Shoka! I'm really interested in fibre art and for a while now I've been thinking about weaving - I've been looking at the small looms that you can get on Amazon and wondering how creative I could get by using one - your post has reminded me that I was looking into all of that, when like most things, covid swept it all out of my head. Please do share more of what you're doing, including the finished item!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Such gorgeous work Shoka! I'm really interested in fibre art and for a while now I've been thinking about weaving - I've been looking at the small looms that you can get on Amazon and wondering how creative I could get by using one - your post has reminded me that I was looking into all of that, when like most things, covid swept it all out of my head. Please do share more of what you're doing, including the finished item!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    Meitou,

I ordered a weaving loom last week! PM me if you want to be pulled down the rabbit hole with me.

Gassho,

Shoka
    sat

Wondering what big name artists might be doing in isolation? Here's a fun article from the NYTimes today...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/a...ronavirus.html

quote from Maya Lin: “We’re going to get really interesting creativity out of this.”

Artists just keep on working. Can't help it.

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~
    Last edited by Cooperix; 04-22-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Shoka,
    Meitou is right, that wool is gorgeous. Spinning wool always seemed to me to be such a lovely and quiet activity. Also good for your hands. Beautiful work.

Bows
    Anne ~lahst~

Very moving article from Zen Peacemakers about art, therapy and the soul.
    https://zenpeacemakers.org/2020/04/some-kind-of-artist/
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Ghost dog.

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

Shall I surrender to pain just for tonight. Night comes on like spring tiger leaping far from lazy afternoon because we are already here. Covid 19 comes to visit those supplying pork, pork belly scrap meat fit for who needs this food. My brother in Des Moines, Iowa, town where I grew up, applied for retirement. It’s about time. Healing practice is what I’ve done all my life since age 16 and now my third book.
    Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Tozan,
    Powerful image. Do I feel rage there? Or offering? Or pleading?

Bows
    Anne

~lahst~

Ghost dog looks like the silver crane in a bowl of snow. great pic Jishin; s always.
    gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

I hope this belongs here. I am going through Jundo's Sit-a-Long videos again and felt the need to put together this little comic. Not sure if it has the right feeling behind it. I think I should have written "Teacher" instead of "Master." Anyway, I find art to be very soothing and incredibly helpful to processing emotions and thoughts, and I'm definitely just starting to learn.

I loved looking through everyone's pieces. Such a great variety and each so moving in their own way. Thank you.

zazencomic.jpg

krissy
    satlah
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Quote Originally Posted by krissydear View Post
    I hope this belongs here. I am going through Jundo's Sit-a-Long videos again and felt the need to put together this little comic. Not sure if it has the right feeling behind it. I think I should have written "Teacher" instead of "Master." Anyway, I find art to be very soothing and incredibly helpful to processing emotions and thoughts, and I'm definitely just starting to learn.

I loved looking through everyone's pieces. Such a great variety and each so moving in their own way. Thank you.

zazencomic.jpg

krissy
    satlah
    Well, might be funnier as "I sit on my butt." But, yes, very nice.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by krissydear View Post

zazencomic.jpg

krissy
    satlah
    Oh that's great Krissy, and so well done. It brought me right back to when I was first studying Buddhism - I had never even thought about thoughts and it was fascinating. Thank you for this!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Krissydear,

Nice.

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Well, might be funnier as "I sit on my butt." But, yes, very nice.

Gassho, J

STLah
    That is great. Haha. I think I will make a version with that line as well!

Thank you Meituo and Anne!

Gassho
    krissy
    Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for teaching me.

I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12