Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 67 of 67

Thread: Art as a Healing Practice

  1. #51
    Jundo,
    Thanks for posting Yakoi Kusama's writing.
    She is quite something, how in her ninth decade continuing to make her art.

    And Jishin, you continue to startle with your images!

    bows
    Anne

    ~lahst~

  2. #52
    Hey everyone,

    I dont usually consider what I do "art", but as I was describing what I was working on to a friend she reminded me its called fiber arts for a reason.

    So here is the "art" loosely defined that I've been working on.

    Spinning yarn and dyeing. The first picture is of natural wool that I spun into a light worsted weight yarn. Then it was dyed, the intention is to create stripes. After it dries all the way it will be knit it into a beanie. Something colorful and cheery.


    Gassho,

    Shoka
    Sat



    20200420_180737.jpg20200421_094000.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

    Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoka View Post
    Hey everyone,

    I dont usually consider what I do "art", but as I was describing what I was working on to a friend she reminded me its called fiber arts for a reason.

    So here is the "art" loosely defined that I've been working on.

    Spinning yarn and dyeing. The first picture is of natural wool that I spun into a light worsted weight yarn. Then it was dyed, the intention is to create stripes. After it dries all the way it will be knit it into a beanie. Something colorful and cheery.


    Gassho,

    Shoka
    Sat



    20200420_180737.jpg20200421_094000.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Such gorgeous work Shoka! I'm really interested in fibre art and for a while now I've been thinking about weaving - I've been looking at the small looms that you can get on Amazon and wondering how creative I could get by using one - your post has reminded me that I was looking into all of that, when like most things, covid swept it all out of my head. Please do share more of what you're doing, including the finished item!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Such gorgeous work Shoka! I'm really interested in fibre art and for a while now I've been thinking about weaving - I've been looking at the small looms that you can get on Amazon and wondering how creative I could get by using one - your post has reminded me that I was looking into all of that, when like most things, covid swept it all out of my head. Please do share more of what you're doing, including the finished item!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    Meitou,

    I ordered a weaving loom last week! PM me if you want to be pulled down the rabbit hole with me.

    Gassho,

    Shoka
    sat
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

    Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

  5. #55
    Wondering what big name artists might be doing in isolation? Here's a fun article from the NYTimes today...

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/a...ronavirus.html

    quote from Maya Lin: “We’re going to get really interesting creativity out of this.”

    Artists just keep on working. Can't help it.

    Gassho
    Anne

    ~lahst~
    Last edited by Cooperix; 04-22-2020 at 07:00 PM.

  6. #56
    Shoka,
    Meitou is right, that wool is gorgeous. Spinning wool always seemed to me to be such a lovely and quiet activity. Also good for your hands. Beautiful work.

    Bows
    Anne ~lahst~

  7. #57
    Very moving article from Zen Peacemakers about art, therapy and the soul.
    https://zenpeacemakers.org/2020/04/some-kind-of-artist/
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

  8. #58
    Ghost dog.



    Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

  9. #59
    Shall I surrender to pain just for tonight. Night comes on like spring tiger leaping far from lazy afternoon because we are already here. Covid 19 comes to visit those supplying pork, pork belly scrap meat fit for who needs this food. My brother in Des Moines, Iowa, town where I grew up, applied for retirement. Itís about time. Healing practice is what Iíve done all my life since age 16 and now my third book.
    Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The object of practice is not transcendence but transformation, yet ultimately we must transcend ourselves. (Elucidation of Dogen) in HOW TO RAISE AN OX

  10. #60

  11. #61
    Tozan,
    Powerful image. Do I feel rage there? Or offering? Or pleading?

    Bows
    Anne

    ~lahst~

  12. #62
    Ghost dog looks like the silver crane in a bowl of snow. great pic Jishin; s always.
    gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

  13. #63
    I hope this belongs here. I am going through Jundo's Sit-a-Long videos again and felt the need to put together this little comic. Not sure if it has the right feeling behind it. I think I should have written "Teacher" instead of "Master." Anyway, I find art to be very soothing and incredibly helpful to processing emotions and thoughts, and I'm definitely just starting to learn.

    I loved looking through everyone's pieces. Such a great variety and each so moving in their own way. Thank you.

    zazencomic.jpg

    krissy
    satlah
    Thank you for teaching me.

    I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by krissydear View Post
    I hope this belongs here. I am going through Jundo's Sit-a-Long videos again and felt the need to put together this little comic. Not sure if it has the right feeling behind it. I think I should have written "Teacher" instead of "Master." Anyway, I find art to be very soothing and incredibly helpful to processing emotions and thoughts, and I'm definitely just starting to learn.

    I loved looking through everyone's pieces. Such a great variety and each so moving in their own way. Thank you.

    zazencomic.jpg

    krissy
    satlah
    Well, might be funnier as "I sit on my butt." But, yes, very nice.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by krissydear View Post
    I hope this belongs here. I am going through Jundo's Sit-a-Long videos again and felt the need to put together this little comic. Not sure if it has the right feeling behind it. I think I should have written "Teacher" instead of "Master." Anyway, I find art to be very soothing and incredibly helpful to processing emotions and thoughts, and I'm definitely just starting to learn.

    I loved looking through everyone's pieces. Such a great variety and each so moving in their own way. Thank you.

    zazencomic.jpg

    krissy
    satlah
    Oh that's great Krissy, and so well done. It brought me right back to when I was first studying Buddhism - I had never even thought about thoughts and it was fascinating. Thank you for this!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

  16. #66
    Krissydear,

    Nice.

    Gassho
    Anne

    ~lahst~

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Well, might be funnier as "I sit on my butt." But, yes, very nice.

    Gassho, J

    STLah
    That is great. Haha. I think I will make a version with that line as well!


    Thank you Meituo and Anne!

    Gassho
    krissy
    Sat today


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for teaching me.

    I am very much a beginner and appreciate any words you may give me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •