Thread: Special 'Caring for All' Tonglen Practice Circle #2

Special 'Caring for All' Tonglen Practice Circle #2

Dear all

I have talked with Sekishi and we identified what I did wrong last weekend so hopefully this time I won't block everyone from entering the SSR!

So, this Sunday, 29 March 2020, there will be another special guided Tonglen Practice Circle for anyone who wishes to do taking and sending practice for themselves and everyone affected by the current world situation and the fear that goes with it. The intention is that there will be a Practice Circle for a number of successive Sundays to come, hosted either by myself or Washin, for the period which this crisis lasts.

It is easy to become overwhelmed by huge world events like this and our Zen practice of Shikantaza gives us a place to find some calm in the centre of the storm. Tonglen and metta practice are another way of doing this, softening our hearts and connecting with suffering and other sentient beings in a structured way.

This event will occur in the Scheduled Sitting Room (SSR) at 8pm UK time (BST/UST+1) and last for around 40 minutes (10 minutes of introduction plus around 30 minutes of practice).

Basic instructions are to be found here but I will be talking us all through it anyway.

World Times (almost 100% probably correct but please check As European Summer Time starts tonight):

Anchorage (AKDT): 11am
    LA (PDT): 12pm
    Phoenix (MDT): 1pm
    Houston (CDT): 2pm
    New York (EDT): 3pm
    London (BST/UST+1): 8pm
    Paris/Berlin (UST+2): 9pm
    Kyiv (UST+3): 10pm
    Bangkok (UST+7): 2am (Monday)
    Tokyo (UST+9): 4am (Monday)
    Canberra (UST+11): 6am (Monday)
    Wellington (UST+13): 8am (Monday)

I hope to see you all there. With Zoom there is plenty of space!

Deep bows
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank you, Kokuu.

Planning to be there...

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today/lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I'll be there.

Gassho
    John
    SatLAH
    Heitou
    平桃

Thank you, Kokuu.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah

Thank you all for coming and for your practice!

Sadly, it turns out that the You Tube recording did not work (although it was saying 'going live on You Tube in the corner) but I did somehow manage to rename the Zazenkai video as tonglen practice...

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank You for a wonderful time.

Gassho
    John
    SatLAH
    Heitou
    平桃