Thread: Stay at home, Watch at home #1

Stay at home, Watch at home #1

Hi all

Since we are mostly all isolating at home now, I thought I would post some interesting and classic Sōtō Zen teachings from You Tube by eminent teachers for people to watch if they wish.

This first one is Shohaku Okumura (author of our current book club book, Realizing Genjokoan) talking about our favourite subject! (no, not Star Trek but Zazen!):

If you have any favourites of your own, feel free to pass them along!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank you Kokuu

Doshin
    St

Thank you Kokuu. That is one of my favorites.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

And I will be the bad cop who makes sure that postings stay in harmony with Soto Zen ways ...

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-27-2020 at 03:38 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Jundo,

I think the worst you are going to have to contend with on that front is some John Daido Loori.

Although I might find some dancing monks!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 03-27-2020 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Jundo,

I think the worst you are going to have to contend with on that front is some John Daido Loori.

Although I might find some of dancing monks!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    I'm am a Big Daido fan, actually. The man knew how to rock a Koan.

Gassho, J

STLah

I am also interesting in collecting some new links to some good sources of Zen and Buddhist articles. I think I have read everything on Lion's Roar already, and at the moment I can't really spend any money on a Trycycle account.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

One good thing coming out of this situation, I follow quite a few different European Sanghas via newsletters, Instagram and Facebook pages etc, and now suddenly boom and zoom, they are all online! Okumura Roshi's student's Sangha in Rome is broadcasting every day now, so at last I'm hoping to learn some Zen liturgy in Italian. Wonderful opportunities in the face of the worst adversity.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi all

Since we are mostly all isolating at home now, I thought I would post some interesting and classic Sōtō Zen teachings from You Tube by eminent teachers for people to watch if they wish.

This first one is Shohaku Okumura (author of our current book club book, Realizing Genjokoan) talking about our favourite subject! (no, not Star Trek but Zazen!):

If you have any favourites of your own, feel free to pass them along!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Thank you for this - it was one of the clearest explanations of zazen I’ve ever heard.

Gassho,
    Natahl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love these ...

Zen Speaks, a wonderful and fun series of Zen Stories and bits of Chinese Wisdom, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. In Chinese with English subtitles. There are dozens of these short cartoons with a Chan flavor. Here is the first video a compilation in a set of 11 videos. You need to turn on the English subtitles (small tab at the bottom of the screen)

Gassho, J

STLah