Thread: We’re All In This Together (4) - Recommendation: Routine & Ritual

We’re All In This Together (4) - Recommendation: Routine & Ritual

For all the folks like me who have had their daily routines broken, and with lots of time for the mind to run wild ...

By the way, if anyone has ideas for additions to a daily routine, be sure to post them here!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-23-2020 at 03:55 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Yes!

I never realized how many chores there were to do until my wife wrote a list

Doshin
    St

Thank you, Jundo. I just watched all of these daily videos - I really appreciate these.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

By the way, if anyone has ideas for additions to a daily routine, be sure to post them here!

Gassho, J

STlah

I start with the verse of atonement. Followed by the Heart Sutra, Dedication, Zazen and four vows. Then Metta; Loving Kindness practice. Then I meet the day and all that that encounters. Then, when I tire, I nap or if late enough, go to bed after repeating the morning verse of atonement thru to May we all be at peace embracing all conditions of life, the last affirmation of the Metta practice. And so it goes, day after day, starting the 84th turn around the sun in a couple of weeks.

May we all be safe and still.

gassho, Shokai

stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    I start with the verse of atonement. Followed by the Heart Sutra, Dedication, Zazen and four vows. Then Metta; Loving Kindness practice. Then I meet the day and all that that encounters. Then, when I tire, I nap or if late enough, go to bed after repeating the morning verse of atonement thru to May we all be at peace embracing all conditions of life, the last affirmation of the Metta practice. And so it goes, day after day, starting the 84th turn around the sun in a couple of weeks.

May we all be safe and still.

gassho, Shokai

stlah
    It does not have to be just Buddhist rituals, although they are wonderful. Daily work in the garden, picture painting, writing, caring for kids, learning a language or trying to make some side-business to turn a dollar (vital with so many out of work). All of these could be part of daily routine.

Gassho, J

STLah

Lovely, Jundo!

I find that a good thing for me is lighting incense early in the morning and going for refuge.

It sets the tone for the rest of the day.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J

STlah
    I'm a personal trainer, though I mostly do online stuff anymore (even before this virus outbreak). One very important thing I've been stressing to people on my outlets is to make sure to keep your body moving! Making sure to take time to take a walk outdoors, stretch (particularly yoga), and get some exercise at home will do wonders to keep everyone's mood and immune systems in better shape. Even cleaning around the house for a dedicated amount of time each day can help offset some of the loss of activity level many of us are experiencing by being locked down and unable to leave home.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat

Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

My daily routine is like this these days:

I usually wake up and check the news once. That is the only time I am allowed to check. Otherwise it's too much. Since I am off work, I will spend the mornings doing what I wish, drinking coffee and usually playing a video game. Helps me forget what's going on for a bit. Then, some zazen. After that it's down to business, check Treeleaf, email, and some social media. I usually only check social media once a day too, for the same reasons as only checking the news once. Later, I like to check on the garden, and then I walk the dog. I spend the rest of the day getting to some cleaning that I have been neglecting, and make a spot in the day for some exercise.

I have also been keeping my journal handy on my desk, to just write out thoughts as they come. I think that this will be an interesting time to look back on in the future, and it also helps me to get a grip on where my brain is going.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you Jundo. I doubt many others are in my situation but this is as much work as before, just different..., spending most of my day in a kind of "war room" fielding updates from the legislature, the news and questions from my manager and staff, writing e-mails and bulletins for clients and staff (and in between, trying to help my older kids who are not appreciating the online learning experience). I really feel Kendrick's advice to make sure to get some kind of activity in, because it is the only thing that counteracts the mental exhaustion and physical sluggishness that sets in after staring at screens for such a long time. There is a lot of wisdom in Geika's advice to set our own limits on news-watching, too.

One thing that has helped me is to spend some time cooking on a daily basis. I usually cook for myself (since no one likes the healthy stuff I eat) but now I have been also making meals for the family. The smell of baking homemade bread is great stress relief for everyone.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

My employer has asked that we work from home. It has been over 2 weeks since I’ve set foot in the office. Also my gym is now closed until further notice.

I like routine so as we settle into a new normal I have settled into a new daily routine. Get up early, sit Zazen and do a workout here at home. I go for a walk before work. At lunch time I go for another walk. After supper another walk. March is typically crazy weather here but getting outside several times a day is helping me not feel trapped in the house.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Kyotai
    After all these years Jundo, I am still amazed at your neverending support and wisdom. Thank you.

Gassho Kyotai
    ST + LaH

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Smile

Thank you Jundo. Your talk reminded me:

A monk said to Chao Chou, “I have just entered this monastery. Please teach me.”
    Chao Chou said, “Have you eaten your rice gruel?”
    The monk said, “Yes, I have.”
    Chao Chou said, “Wash your bowl.”
    The monk understood

My interpretation may be iffy, but heading into lockdown tomorrow night, this reminds me to focus on the beauty of simple daily tasks, not my wobbly emotions. Enjoy the basics...this is the gift of family life...enlightenment in the soap bubbles on the hands.

Gassho to all, Chris
    Last edited by Yokai; 03-24-2020 at 04:15 AM.

Thank you,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Connecting with nature is vital for my mental wellness.
    Mental wellness translates to increased physical wellness, relatively speaking haha.
    Watching wildlife go about their lives and seeing the cycle of life in every step is humbling. In every step I know and feel at peace in the knowledge that I too am part of this cycle. I'm not special as an individual or a human being so I tread lightly with love and respect in my heart.
    Thank you all for sharing.
    Gassho
    Anna
    ST

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

The act of simply making a pot of coffee, after my morning sitting, and slowly drinking that first cup, has a very settling effect for me each day!
    Gassho, Bud

Thank you, Jundo, for reminding us of the basics even in these times.
    My routine now is to wake up, read the news, make breakfast, study for 2 hours, chant the Heart Sutra, sit zazen in the SSR (with Onkai and the others), read something dharma related (currently Suzuki Roshi's Not Always So), make lunch, watch some Youtube videos and read more news, talk to some relatives, study for 2 more hours, sit zazen and metta in the SSR (with Shoka), study for more 2 hours, make dinner, watch one or two movies with my wife, read some more news before sleeping. In between, some gathas.

I will have to put some exercise on my life, specially now that I'm not going to Pilates anymore. I also loved you suggestion, Geika, to only read news once a day. Perhaps it will diminish my anxiety.

Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

I love a good routine. We are now working from home and have been all week so my morning routine looks like this:

Sit in the FSR with the Euro & Kiwi Crew, then do some yoga or other mobilisation, make coffee, do duolingo language learning, check work emails, go for a run, have a shower, and then log onto my morning zoom call with work.

I like Shokai's routine so may try and incorporate some more Buddhist rituals.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah