Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 71 and 72

"Simple Living" - Chapters 71 and 72

"Simple Living" - Chapters 71 and 72

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 71 - See Things For What They Are - View some difficult or unpleasant person or event in the news (not hard these days) from the still point at the core of ups and downs, like and dislike, with deep equanimity. How does it feel?

Chapter 72 - Skillfully Detach - lf someone says something critical, unpleasant or unfair about you this week (almost a daily happening for me! ) just do not be attached and let it be.

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - BONUS ASSlGNMENT: lf the Coronavirus causes you to "shelter in place," just be in that place.
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-19-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Great practices! I will give more attention to both.

It seems like these practices are two sides of the same coin.

I find when i detach skillfully, I see things for what they are. Also, the more I see things the way the are, the more easily i skillfully detach.

That being said, I m very sure this sis true for all of us who practice .

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday

I had plenty of practice with both of these today!
    71 -I had fairly brusque words with a bank employee as I tried to get a work around to save my husband having to leave the house and go to the bank to personally activate a new debit card. He put the phone down on me, I didn't feel that was necessary but nevertheless had to examine how much my own behaviour contributed to his rudeness. I was angry with the entire situation, angry that the bank couldn't be more flexible, angry when he said that Stef would need a mask to enter the bank when you can't get a mask here for love or money, angry with the risk Stef will have to take, angry with everything. It felt horrible, I felt guilty as well, but my anger also blocked me from finding my way out of the situation, and I had to dig really deep for any equanimity...
    72 -..which I did find later as I sat zazen as part of my Earth Vigil, followed by 30 minutes of reflection and prayer. During that reflection time it came to me that I was probably more angry about the guy putting the phone down on me than the actual situation and unless I absolutely let go of that anger I wasn't actually going to be able to find a reasoned and sensible solution. I had to say it out loud ' Let it go, let it go, let it go...'. I've discussed it with Stef, with a friend, and have decided to see how I feel about it over the weekend. There are a few things to take into consideration. Stef has an appt Monday morning at the bank, he's not the slightest bit worried of course, but has asked me to make him a mask. That should take my mind off things
    Even after all this time, certain lessons can still feel new, as if I know nothing.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Really lots of chances to practice 71 this week. Untried (and failed) a lot. Still dealing with 72 though.
    Gassho
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH