Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 69 and 70

"Simple Living" - Chapters 69 and 70

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 69 - Give Up The Need To Be Liked By Everyone - Think up one relationship where it really bothers you that the person does not seem to like you. Accept the fact, bow, and move on.

Chapter 70 - Don't Fixate On Right and Wrong - Think of some relationship where you and the other person really disagree, perhaps about politics or religion. Accept the fact, bow, and move forward (not the same as above, because hopefully here the relationship can continue nonetheless).

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - BONUS ASSlGNMENT: Practice the "mindfulness" of washing the hands carefully, and not touching the face.
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-12-2020 at 09:44 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Chapter 70 is a tough one these days... and that is where chapter 69 comes in...

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I will try (and probably fail) to practice these two chapters this week.
    Gassho
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Chapters 69 and 70 are things I have been practicing for most of my life. They feel very natural to me but I certainly know other people who would struggle with both.

As for the bonus assignment.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I will do these.. I don't know of anyone I've tried to keep in my life that doesn't like me though.. oh wait.. ah..

It is sooo hard not to touch my face, but I'm trying

Gassho,
    Theresa
    SatToday
    Be humble for you are made of earth,
    Be noble for you are made of stars.

Ugh. I had a friend here who dropped us without explanation after 3 years of being close. Over those years I had seen her do the same to almost everyone she knew, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise. It hurt but there was no point pursuing it, she's completely intransigent, so I had to let it go. It's taken me a couple of years not to allow it to keep prodding at me.
    I'm fine with people not agreeing about religion, but find it tougher with political differences. I'm learning to overcome that by being kinder to myself and them, otherwise I wouldn't be speaking to half my family!
    Always a work in progress.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    I'm fine with people not agreeing about religion, but find it tougher with political differences.
    I identify with it, Meitou. Especially as the time passes and the Brazilian government supporters become more radical and irrational. And the President acts like a child, kissing, hugging and shaking hands with hundreds os people in a protest agains the very existence of Congress and the Supreme Court as the coronavirus spreads. A difficult practice not get angry and anxious in these times.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Drop this,
    drop that,
    and drop those fingertips!

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: salt liberally.

Our practice has really helped me develop a more accepting attitude in life in general.

Gassho,
    Seibu
    Sattoday