Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sangha's views on Corona Virus?

Sangha's views on Corona Virus?

Corona virus seems to be the raging topic out now. People getting worried everywhere and stocking up stuff etc..

They say if a cure is not found this can spread to 40-70% of world population in the next 1 year. We all have our karma that we need to go through and there is an overall prevailing dharma (law) according to which universe functions. I feel a one epidemic like coronavirus coming and killing everyone is not possible as it goes against the karma and dharma.

What is the sangha's and zen's view on corona virus?

Gassho,
    Sam
    STlah

Hello Sam,

basically, I agree with the last podcast episode from Jundo and Kirk:
    https://www.zen-of-everything.com/20
    Thank you btw., I am enjoying these.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

With Coronavirus, we need to be careful not to spread it to the elderly, children, or the immuno compromised. Most healthy older children, teens, and adults will not be at risk of losing their lives. That said, there will still be a somewhat large toll due to the fact that it is slightly more infectious and potentially deadly than the flu with no vaccine, but your best bet is to sit with it and do your best to follow the same precautions you would likely follow during flu season.

ST
    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Hello Sam,

basically, I agree with the last podcast episode from Jundo and Kirk:
    https://www.zen-of-everything.com/20
    Thank you for those btw. I am enjoying, hearing these.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    I need to listen to that one soon! I've been trying to listen to them in order

ST

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

I just watched (Youtube Live, which I think was from Zoom -- that's starting to happen) a sangha discuss whether to stop having meetings at their site. As an alter-abled person who came to TL for improved access and participation opportunities, I like the expertise here in Zoom that dates back to the beginning of Hangouts. Many school districts and other entities that involve a level of travel and conviviality that amounts to contact sports are rapidly moving to teleconferencing as more areas enter quarantine or checkpoint status. Might not TL offer to the wider Sangha specific opportunities or training to practice distance Practice?

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    I'm a visiting unsui from Bird Haven Zendo. Take what I say with a box of salt. Mmm!

Hey Sam
    My view on Corona Virus is that the fear and panic is borne of modern social media information overload and good ol' media sensationalism.
    I'm not into fear mongering and although many media organisations thrive on the 'If it bleeds it leads' model I think there is sufficient sensible information out there for me to decide that I have little to worry about.
    At the moment my Asthma is uncontrolled and I'm on steroids to try to get hold of it again. My partner has an autoimmune disease Multiple Sclerosis. By rights we should be concerned about this virus but we're not.
    As to how this thinking is related to Zen, I'm not sure it does. Zen helps me SIT WITH pain and life in general rather than HIDE FROM pain and life in general but my lack of fear of Covid-19 is probably more to do with critical thinking and science based information than Zen.
    Gassho
    Anna
    sat today

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    On Ka
    穏 火
    aka Anna Kissed.
    No Gods No Masters.
    Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__
    There was something on the news about some people in the US boycotting this beer now lol
    Gassho
    Anna
    st

On Ka
    穏 火
    aka Anna Kissed.
    No Gods No Masters.

Everyone else has answered your question pretty well. I am curious about what you wrote here, though:

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    I feel a one epidemic like coronavirus coming and killing everyone is not possible as it goes against the karma and dharma.
    How would you define "karma" and "dharma" as used in this sentence, and how do they relate to a theoretical extinction of the human race from an epidemic? I had a skeptical reaction to this sentence, but I think it's more constructive for me to ask a question about it than to make assumptions.

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today

My view on Corona Virus is that the fear and panic is borne of modern social media information overload and good ol' media sensationalism.
    Hi all

My haiku writing friend Lucia in Milan has lost two members of her family to corona virus in the last week. Even if those most affected are likely to be the elderly and those with underlying health conditions (diabetes, chronic respiratory issues and cardio-pulmonary disease), that is still incredibly serious. The death toll in Italy is nearing 500 already.

Of course, the death toll from variants of flu is also considerable among the elderly each year but this new corona virus is a definite danger.

Panic is clearly unhelpful but I think that a state of concerned preparedness is not a bad idea, self-isolating if needed, washing hands regularly with water (for twenty seconds) or hand sanitiser (60-70% alcohol and above), and avoiding touching the face as wise precautionary measures to slow and limit the spread.

Several friends on Facebook have posted about this being a man-made virus as part of a global 'population cull' and way of altering our behaviour or else as a cover for the health damage to humans caused by the roll out of 5G networks. Sharing evidence-free information such as this is not particularly helpful although I am sure they are well-meaning. Instead we should be listening to experts.

That is a good question, Kenny!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

Thanks all for your replies

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    How would you define "karma" and "dharma" as used in this sentence, and how do they relate to a theoretical extinction of the human race from an epidemic? I had a skeptical reaction to this sentence, but I think it's more constructive for me to ask a question about it than to make assumptions.
    I am suspicious that an epidemic can wipe out 70% of humanity (as the projection says). We all have our karma (bad and good) that we need to go through in this life. Similarly there is a law (dharma) according to which the universe runs. Given these two, the worries of an epidemic wiping out a major part of humanity doesn't sound possible to me. Wanted to know the thoughts of others on this

Gassho,
    Sam
    ST

Speaking as an immuno-compromised person, I'm being careful, and living my life. My family is keeping an eye on me, and some are watching me a bit too closely out of anxious concern for me.

But with a compromised immune system, I'm used to the dangers. Last year I developed pneumonia within a few days from a head cold and often have any number of issues going on at once.

Yes, this could be a problem for me -- but so can the flu, bronchitis, and my immune system attacking my brain, heart, kidneys, or lungs. That happens also.

Unnecessary stress is just as dangerous to a weakened immune system.

Gassho, meian
    St

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Meian; 03-10-2020 at 02:51 AM.
    Not all who wander are lost. (Tolkien)
    Underestimating a warrior, serves the warrior's advantage.
    迷安 - Mei An - Wandering At Rest

Google average life expectancy and average age of people dying from the virus. Let us know what you find please.

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    I am suspicious that an epidemic can wipe out 70% of humanity (as the projection says). We all have our karma (bad and good) that we need to go through in this life. Similarly there is a law (dharma) according to which the universe runs. Given these two, the worries of an epidemic wiping out a major part of humanity doesn't sound possible to me. Wanted to know the thoughts of others on this

Gassho,
    Sam
    ST
    I recently read that there are ...

8.8 billion habitable Earth-size planets exist in Milky Way alone
    https://www.nbcnews.com/sciencemain/...way-8C11529186

So, I am sure that, if the universe hits the reset button here, it will continue along just fine somewhere else, with or without our particular species.

That said, I don't think that someone's ethical behavior in this or a past life contributes to their getting the flu. A virus does that (except, perhaps, that a rough life might contribute to bad physical condition).

In any case, while I am thinking about this, I might cross the street and get hit by a bus (which, by the way, would also not be do to my past bad acts, but to my lack of attention and the bus).

In the meantime, take care, don't panic. I have been listening to the late, great George Carlin recently. At least, he can make us laugh about the whole thing ...

peaking as an immuno-compromised person, I'm being careful
    Let us continue to sit and offer Metta for all those with conditions who feel especially vulnerable.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

PS - A little more of the later late George ... (A bit salty in this one) ,,,

PPS - As a Zen fellow, I do not quite believe in death either. The reason is easy to example. We are the world, briefly manifest as me and you. We are still the world, so really have not come nor will go any other place. When me and you run out our warranty, the world goes on and on. Therefore, we go on and on and on ...

I posted this yesterday in our reflections on Genjo Koan and Dogen's image there of rowing a boat (I use a bike) ...

You may think that "you" are riding a bike (your life) down a road (time) which is passing scenery (this world). But, for Zen bikers, rider and road, bike and peddling, riding and scenery are one whole. The bike and road ride you as you ride the bike down the road. Scenery brings movement to you as you move past the scenery, and really, scene and seer are not apart. As you ride the bike past the beautiful and sometimes ugly scenes of life, the bike rides you, riding scenes you, road yous the scenes. Like that. The whole brings you to life as you bring the ride to life ... Only bikingyouingsceneingroadingpeddling ... and it is all one wild ride!
    That ride which we are keeps on going, long before and long after our time.

Also, a lovely poem was posted in a Facebook group today, a lovely way to think of Karma perhaps ...

Last edited by Jundo; 03-10-2020 at 05:58 AM.

Very nice poem.

Google average life expectancy and average age of people dying from the virus. Let us know what you find please.
    Average life expectancy isn't a particularly useful statistic. As any statistician will tell you (and I have taught statistics) it doesn't tell you what you probably think it means.

Average life expectancy is how long you can, on average, expect to live from birth. It does not indicate the age at which most people will die. This is especially true since it is brought down by infant and childhood deaths.

So, the age you can expect to live when you reach maturity, which most people seem to understand by 'average life expectancy' will be higher than that statistic.

Otherwise, yes, we have to die of something and novel viral disease is part of the natural order of things.

However, it seems to be implied in your question that people are just dying at the age they should. Maybe this is true, yet I don't see that as a reason not to try to prevent the spread of an illness or cure those who have it.

Sadly, I have seen posts on social media that we should not worry because it is 'only' the elderly who are most affected.

Well, that may be largely true, but they are sentient beings too.

SHU JO MU HEN SEI GAN DO
    To save all sentient beings, though beings numberless

In this case, saving all sentient beings looks a lot like washing your hands and coughing into your elbow.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

As an “elderly sentient being” who never thought karma or dharma would extend my life (but hopefully add to its quality and that of others) I want to go on record that George Carlin makes me laugh. Thanks for that smile today Jundo.

Doshin
    St

So 70% is horrific and cataclysmic. The most reasonable estimate I've seen so far is 2% but that is still really a large amount and horrific to people who know and love the afflicted. The normal flu has a deathrate of .1% a year and we (or a lot of us) get vaccinated against it to lessen its impact, even if we don't totally avoid it. I'm concerned because my sister and I have lung problems and my parents are above 60 and have been exposed. Still, I'm a great believer in that if its is your time to go, you are going to go, and if its not, you won't, which is weirdly calming in situations like these.

People have been weird about the whole thing here too. Someone mentioned reopening McNeil Island to house all the quarantined. For those of you that don't know, McNeil Island is like Washington State's Alcatraz. Joy! Lets put all the sick people in a former prison complex. Panic buying is making shopping a little more interesting too.

I think everyone needs to calm down. Panic caused by fear of death is not constructive and is causing a lot more suffering than needs to be.

Theresa
    SatToday
    Be humble for you are made of earth,
    Be noble for you are made of stars.

Hi,

Average life expectancy in the US is 78.9
    I wasn't able to find an 'average' of all those who have died of COVID-19, but here is a website that purports to have a demographic breakdown related to age.
    To put it into perspective, as I said earlier, the flu usually has a .1% fatality rate. So according to the article even if you are 10-30 COVID-19 has a .2% fatality rate.
    I'm not sure statistics due to age are really all that helpful though. Wash your hands, don't touch your face, use hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes when in contact with shared surfaces like grocery carts, and stay home if you are sick.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/...aphic-factors/

Gassho,
    Theresa
    SatToday
    Be humble for you are made of earth,
    Be noble for you are made of stars.

Without being an epidemiologist, it is easy to see the flaws with what is being reported via media.

Jishin I have been waiting for you to say “chop wood, carry water, wash your hands...”

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Jishin I have been waiting for you to say ďchop wood, carry water, wash your hands...Ē

Doshin
    St

Without being an epidemiologist, it is easy to see the flaws with what is being reported via media.
    Jishin, if you have a point to make maybe you could state it clearly? Asking people to Google the average life expectancy and average death age from covid and then this seems to have a point but it is hard to make out.

Are you saying that the death rate is over-inflated? If so how much do you think by?
    Do you think that the fact the older people are the ones most at risk means it should be taken less seriously?

I think that Istra's link looks like a good summation of what we know thus far, as is her advice.

Do you think otherwise? If so, can you state what you mean clearly please otherwise you are, as we might say in the UK, rather beating about the bush.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 03-10-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Jishin, if you have a point to make maybe you could state it clearly? Asking people to Google the average life expectancy and average death age from covid and then this seems to have a point but it is hard to make out.

Are you saying that the death rate is over-inflated? If so how much do you think by?
    Do you think that the fact the older people are the ones most at risk means it should be taken less seriously?

I think that Istra's link looks like a good summation of what we know thus far, as is her advice.

Do you think otherwise? If so, can you state what you mean clearly please otherwise you are, as we might say in the UK, rather beating about the bush.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    I think people like to jump to conclusions in general. I am not going to tell people what to think but it is good to raise curiosity as I did. The lesson you learned from this exercise speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    (...)
    (...)
    I was just listening to an interview with the head of the german RKI (Robert Koch Institute), the local official organisation for giving advice and judging the facts.
    He stated, that the lethality rates are very unsure and depend heavily on how the reporting country gathers data.
    The number of infected people is unknown and most likely higher than the number of reported infections.
    The number of deaths caused by the infection should be pretty accurate.
    He estimated, that, learned from past data, the number of (mainly lighter) infections is about 5-11 times higher.
    That would reduce the lethality numbers by about the same factor.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 03-10-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    古庭 KoTei / Ralf

The best thing that we can do now is try to calm peoples' worries and excess thoughts.

Most people will be fine, but we also have to honor the fear and real concerns of those with health issues that put them at greater risk. We must trust this world sometimes, which brought us in to birth and carries us along like a stream. We are that stream. Sometimes, we must try to overcome our fear by allowing ourselves to feel our stream nature. Most people do not know their stream nature so easily, thus we practice Zen and other paths which try to help us remember.

We should honor and mourn anyone who has passed from this world, from this or any cause too. Frankly, I am more concerned for the grieving hearts of the living than for the persons who may have passed. They are also the stream and have gone to where they never left.

I know how scary this can be. When I had my cancer two years ago, I was sometimes very scared. We are wired in the brain to anticipate tigers in the bushes, and to sometimes feel fear. However, I could be in the hospital bed and also yield, accept, allow the waters to carry me along. Then I would be scared again ... then at peace again ... then scared again ... and sometimes BOTH AT ONCE!

So, it is okay to be scared sometimes ... and to be sad sometimes ... but try to also see these emotions as passing theatre, do not buy into what they are selling completely. Also, do what you can to know the flowing waters which we are, which wash away all sadness and fear.

Gassho, J

STLah

You would sort of hope that the ramifications of the spread of this virus would shore up in our minds how totally interconnected we all are - globally
    and at a local level in our communities.
    Some concerns - the number of jobs - and therefore people's livelihoods that are negatively affected.
    The implications of school closures - many children will need childcare (what do working parents do?) and children living in poverty rely on school meals
    for adequate nutrition (yes- even here in the UK - which is hardly a third world country).
    Care in residential homes is already below standard - not enough staff - what happens to elderly residents if staff become sick?
    I could go on - not wanting to be apocalyptic - but the infrastructure of our societies is so much more fragile that we generally are aware of.
    My own concerns - a partner of 76 with asthma - a daughter of 42 with seriously compromised immune system, a daughter-in-law with multiple health problems, a 95 year old mother in a care home .... all of these precious to me and none looking to be more ill.
    All I've seen so far is panic buying and not much regard for others and politicians mumbling and fumbling through a crisis we're not prepared for.

Maybe something positive can come from a wake up call that reminds us all that we are mortal. As Jundo says - it's natural to feel afraid - but the counterpoint to that is an appreciation that each day counts - not to take our lives and the lives of others for granted - to be compassionate and think beyond our own concerns.

Metta to all who are fearful or affected in any way from the current situation,

Gassho

Jinyo,

Sat today

I work in a hospital as a porter/ housekeeper, and this is being treated VERY seriously, even in rural health care centers. Lots of nurses and doctors working round the clock, missing their own families while they work to protect ours.

We will be ok.

Gassho Kyotai

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    I am a student at Treeleaf. Please take what I say with a grain of salt. Gassho

My little movie group met (by agreement, for the last time in person for awhile -- we all have compromised health) in February and two days later, one member had one last trip to a nearby town and then stopped going out, but became symptomatic and is now in doctor-ordered quarantine at home as a "presumptive case." (they don't test here unless you are hospitalized, a great way to spread the stuff). It's been fourteen days and none of the rest of us have symptoms. No one will come around with a clipboard tracing her contacts, which seems insane to me. Many such cases are missing from the statistics. No worthwhile attempt at containment.

I personally think our area is in for a sad time, as hardly anyone I know is taking it seriously, even though our present curve closely matches Italy's, a fact that has not been hidden, at least by the states and counties. This nation has no national health service and ties insurance to (some) jobs. Millions are priced out of even normal health care and if quarantined will default on rent or mortgage.

Daughter, who is in county health, has already been pulled off her drug prevention job and is working a very busy switchboard. She has the inside info and has ordered us not to go out. Yes, ma'am.

Bird Haven Zendo, along with many other groups, has canceled in-person zazenkai. This would have been Saturday; Roshi plans instead to train with me some more on Zoom. What we will do about April 11th, my scheduled Shukke Tokudo, we do not know.

I have put up the beanpoles. Peas and greens are awakening in the seed flats. The Worm Moon has been especially beautiful this year. This morning the golden-crowned sparrows are singing and there is no shadow on their songs.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DUjm6MJaKGBh2hnQA

Gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    I'm a visiting unsui from Bird Haven Zendo. Take what I say with a box of salt. Mmm!

Just talked with a pediatrician friend who said she has been ordering corona virus screens for years and some of her kids come back positive, probably from daycare. She screens for a hosts of contagious diseases. She told me that in her world the virus is nothing new and has been around for a long time.

Sangha's views on Corona Virus?

Just talked with a pediatrician friend who said she has been ordering corona virus screens for years and some of her kids come back positive, probably from daycare. She screens for a hosts of contagious diseases. She told me that in her world the virus is nothing new and has been around for a long time.

Wow thatís an almost stunningly ignorant statement from a pediatrician. Of course coronaviruses have been around for a long time, veterinary patients get them too. My kids and I have all had it. But this particular one is new so no one has immunity to it. This is a big problem in a hospital or a nursing home. Itís possible the mortality rate could be 10 or 15 percent in the elderly or compromised population so if it spreads unchecked, then you get a situation like at LifeCare in Washington where I think around 20 residents died and almost their entire staff was ill at the same time. Prevention is good.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday-LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

No one has immunity to it is speculative. The virus is new is speculative. Mortality rate is speculative. Number of cases is speculative.

Not speculative:

Preventive measures are good. This is not new.

Inflated fears via media with tremendous psychological and economic implications. This is not new. If it leads it bleeds. If it bleeds it leads.

I think chop wood, carry water and wash your hands (as always). This is definitely not what is going on currently.

These are my thoughts and not yours to keep.

Speculative =based on conjecture rather than knowledge. In the zen world then I suppose all is speculative, including dead people and previously unseen viral nucleotide sequences.

At any rate, some new behaviors that are occurring as a result of the coronavirus are probably causing suffering. Some are likely helping to prevent further suffering. It all belongs just where it is, regardless of how much we might want to impose our opinions on it. Each person can decide what their own chopping and carrying means.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

My daughter's Vietnamese friend introduced her to the Corona Virus Dance yesterday (and thank you John Oliver) ...

... at least we can dance ... wash those hands, no touch the face ... (catch the dance meme about halfway through too ... spread the meme, let it go viral! )

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-12-2020 at 12:12 AM.

Our pediatrician said something similar this evening -- that the mass panic is worse than the virus (in the US) and that people need to stop watching 24/7 news cycles.

That being said, I am deeply grateful that my immediate family is looking out for me. I work from home already (with China, still impacted by it), but my family's routines are changing due to the virus impacting their school and work policies. They're not panic-shopping, hoarding, or hovering. They're just making sure we have what we need, and that I have certain things for my health. This keeps my weakened immune system out of potential danger zones.

So, normal precautions.

Gassho, Meian
    St

Hi all...if anyone would benefit from FSR sitting company in this global crisis, just pm me...I'd like to offer a little support from NZ

Gassho, Chris sat/lah

Thank you Rev. Steadman ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKiwi View Post
    Hi all...if anyone would benefit from FSR sitting company in this global crisis, just pm me...I'd like to offer a little support from NZ

Gassho, Chris sat/lah
    I will keep that in mind, Chris.

My city and surrounding counties are steadily shutting down around me ..... "indefinitely." I'm trying not to panic, to be quite honest.

Gassho, meian st

Guess who's in isolation until I can get tested on Monday? This guy! LOL.
    In all honesty I think that my current uncontrolled Asthma is just that which is why I suggested to my GP that me getting tested today would be a waste of resources, so I'll see her on Monday again and get tested then.
    Good excuse to watch telly all weekend I reckon
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today

On Ka
    穏 火
    aka Anna Kissed.
    No Gods No Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    Guess who's in isolation until I can get tested on Monday? This guy! LOL.
    Winner!!!

Hope you don't have the virus and you can get the asthma under control.

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Nanrin View Post
    Winner!!!

Hope you don't have the virus and you can get the asthma under control.

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sat today
    I'm sure I'll be fine. Just noticed my nails in that photo too haha. What a disgrace!
    Hope things are well where you are comrade.
    Gassho
    Onka
    st

On Ka
    穏 火
    aka Anna Kissed.
    No Gods No Masters.

Onka, l will be sitting for all your clear breaths.

Gassho, J

STLah

This may have all been said, but it helps to calm me.

Stay Calm and Carry On.

That's the best advice right now. Panic solves nothing; keep an eye on the CDC. This is a new virus; it is highly contagious because we do not have immunity. Do not panic; that exacerbates things. It's great to wash hands, wipe down surfaces but, honestly unless you are the boy in the bubble these are fragile processes and humans are not consistent. Just one time you forget and touch your face or whatever (which may not even be that significant) a new person is infected.

This is an airborne disease; last I heard (if it's true lol) is that it can last in the air for 3 hours. It can live on surfaces for 2 weeks.

So look - just keep calm. If you get sick self-isolate.

This is revealing to me how selfish I am; I keep worrying about myself; what helps me is to worry about others, not spreading it to them.

This is where the rubber meets the road in our practice.

Please stay safe.

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

The virus is not causing my panic, even with lupus.

This is where being autistic can be an issue for me.

Too many changes are happening at once. Big changes, routine changes. Home, family, school, work, all changing "indefinitely." People being cruel to each other, more than usual.

It's too much.

The virus is irrelevant to me right now.

I'm experimenting with chanting and shikantaza for now to work through it. Short amounts. Trying to calm my overloaded system. I'm also very tired.

It's occurred to me that this probably sounds selfish. All I can say is I'm doing the best I can, and things are still changing here. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, I'm just explaining my experience.

Gassho
    Meian st lh

For those wishing to help WHO in their efforts, COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund

https://unfoundation.org/what-we-do/...onse-fund-faq/

Found out about this through their last press briefing. My best wishes with everyone at this time.

Gassho
    Anant
    SaT

If you are following Shokai's daily blog of Gates of Dharma Illumination (here), today's is particularly apt for the situation:

The Eighty-second Gate is Right balanced state.

The Gatha to be repeated three or four times throughout today is:

May we, together with all buddhas;
    Maintain the Right balanced state
    That we may attain un-distracted samādhi

Thank you for your practice.
    gassho, Shokai, still learning the way and knowing nothing.
    Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today, no one around to lend a hand to :/