Thread: ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY March 15th with Grace Schireson

ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY March 15th with Grace Schireson

NOTE: Because of Daylight Savings Changes in USA/CANADA this week, please pay special attention to start times in other places!

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Soto Priest, Author and Teacher, Myoan Grace Schireson will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk on SUNDAY March 15th, LIVE from California and Treeleaf Tsukuba.

More about Grace ...

Grace Schireson is a Zen Abbess, president of Shogaku Zen Institute (a Zen teachers’ training seminary), and a Clinical Psychologist. She received her doctorate in Clinical Psychology at the Wright Institute in Berkeley, California. She founded two practice centers and a retreat center under the Central Valley Zen Foundation. She is the author of Naked in the Zendo: Stories of Uptight Zen, Wild-Ass Zen, and Enlightenment Wherever You Are (Shambala Publications, November 2019), Zen Women: Beyond Tea Ladies, Iron Maidens and Macho Masters (Wisdom, 2009), and edited Zen Bridge: The Zen Teachings of Keido Fukushima with Peter Schireson. She has published articles in Shambhala Sun, Buddhadharma and Tricycle magazines and has also been anthologized in many Zen books, including The Book of Mu, Receiving the Marrow, and The Hidden Lamp as well as in a book on spiritual training: The Arts of Contemplative Care.

Grace is a Dharma teacher in the Suzuki Roshi lineage empowered by Sojun Mel Weitsman, abbot of Berkeley Zen Center. She has also been empowered to teach koans by Keido Fukushima Roshi, chief abbot of Tofukuji Monastery in Kyoto Japan. She has been married for over 50 years, and lives with her husband, the poet Peter Schireson, in New York and California. She has two grown sons and four grand-children.
    The festivities for our Zazenkai will begin at 11:00 AM US PACIFIC TIME SUNDAY 3/15 (that is 2pm in New York, London 6pm and Paris 7pm, all SUNDAY March 15th).

THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following: About 25 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Grace for about 30 minutes, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes or so.

FOLKS HAVING QUESTIONS FOR GRACE CAN PRIVATE MESSAGE ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION HERE (PM to JUNDO), and I will check from time to time, and ask as many questions from viewers as possible.

It is traditional to offer a donation (Dana) to a teacher, and we encourage folks who will be listening and benefiting from this visit to do so by a donation in the amount you feel appropriate here: THE SHOGAKU ZEN INSTITUTE (LINK FOR DONATIONS), a seminary for Buddhist practitioners guided by Grace.

I hope that we will have a big turnout, with many folks joining us "two way" too (instructions below).

Let's all get together to welcome Grace. In fact, I would really like to show off our community by getting as large a two-way turnout as possible, so please try to make the time.

Gassho, Jundo

HOW TO JOIN THE ZAZENKAI '2-WAY':

You can join the Zazenkai two-way in the Scheduled Sitting Room using Zoom any one of the following ways:

- Use this direct link: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244
    - Open Zoom and join with this meeting id: 483 483 1244
    - Go to Treeleaf NOW and select the Scheduled Sitting Room: treeleaf.org/ssr

Notes:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- You can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / tic-tac-toe style view):
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to say hi and bow to everyone)
    STLah

Last edited by Sekishi; 03-15-2020 at 05:59 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you.
    I am looking forward to it, planning to join two-way.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you Jundo. Monday morning work time in NZ, so I'll gratefully join you recorded. Picked up 'Naked in the Zendo' to read this weekend.
    Gassho, Chris satlah
    Last edited by Yokai; 03-12-2020 at 10:12 PM.

Thank you Jundo. I endeavor to participate in this Zazenkai

Gassho
    Van
    SAT

Just a little bump and reminder for folks. I would love to welcome Grace with a nice group of our members sitting live with her.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Wonderful! Grace is an important figure in western Zen and I really look forward to what she has to say.

Should be no problems for me to join live. Thank you for organising it, Jundo!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Thank you Jundo! My intention is to participate live.

Gassho
    Washin
    st/lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

My plans are to be there two way.

Thank you for scheduling this.

Doshin
    St

Intent. She's been one of my treasured teachers via her writing.

gassho
    doyu sat today/lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Hi Jundo

I'll do my best to be there live, 50/50 at this stage but will work on it.

Gasso, satlah, Tokan

i loved her book 'naked in the zendo' and i'll try to be there.

aprapti

std alone in the free sitting room..

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Thank you, Jundo, for arranging this event. I intend to join two-way.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you Jundo. Really looking forward to Rev Schiresons visit!

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

I'll have to catch this via recording. Thank you for organizing this.

Gassho
    Anant
    SaT

Hello,
    I am a bit confused regarding the times for London and Paris(same as Germany).
    I've tried different online converters and they said 11am US Pacific Time converts to London 6pm and Paris 7pm (not 7pm and 8pm).
    (hope they're right :-)
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Hello,
    I am a bit confused regarding the times for London and Paris(same as Germany).
    I've tried different online converters and they said 11am US Pacific Time converts to London 6pm and Paris 7pm (not 7pm and 8pm).
    I agree, Kotei, and was about to say the same.

London 6pm
    Paris/Berlin/Amsterdam etc 7pm

Could you possibly correct the information at the top please, Jundo?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    I agree, Kotei, and was about to say the same.

London 6pm
    Paris/Berlin/Amsterdam etc 7pm

Could you possibly correct the information at the top please, Jundo?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Darn daylight saving time and math!

I'll be there NOT bright but VERY early Jundo.

Anyone else here on the far east side of the world? I will set two alarms .

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday

I am assuming a link for Two Way will arise in this a Thread or did I miss it?

Doshin
    St

See
    HOW TO JOIN THE ZAZENKAI '2-WAY':
    at the bottom of first post in this thread

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Yep...I knew it was looking at me and I just did not see it. Thanks Shokai.

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    I am assuming a link for Two Way will arise in this a Thread or did I miss it?

Doshin
    St
    Yes, here ...

You can join the Zazenkai two-way in the Scheduled Sitting Room using Zoom any one of the following ways:

- Use this direct link: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244
    - Open Zoom and join with this meeting id: 483 483 1244
    - Go to Treeleaf NOW and select the Scheduled Sitting Room: treeleaf.org/ssr

I know that Kyousui, and I participated in Sunday sit, and I was about 15 minutes late. However it was good, with one walking meditation, and two siting sessions. Thank you, Kyousui for being with me. Others seemed to come and go which is fine with me, Thank you all.
    Tai Shi
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    Deep Bows.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thank you to everyone for joining today! So nice to see so many lovely faces and get to spend some time with the sangha.

Grace, deep bows for all you work. Thank you so much for joining us today.

Gassho,

Shoka
    st/lah

Thank you Rev. Grace and everyone. I wish I could have joined live but our Internet is too slow right now, all of Italy is online! Sorry also that I couldn't actually get my message through in time to offer my thanks while Grace was still with us. Her talk was so helpful to me personally.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

What a wonderful visit! Thank so much to Grace, Jundo, Sekishi, everyone who made it possible. I feel very touched and inspired by the wisdom and goodness that Grace shared with us.

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Yes, thank you Grace and Jundo and Sekishi and everyone who participated.
    Deep bows,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

The link to Shogaku, for anyone interested in studying or donating:

https://www.shogakuzen.org/

Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan

Thank you, Grace, Jundo, and everyone who made this event possible, including those who commented and asked questions. It was a very timely talk, and comforting.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you Jundo and Rev. Grace for this stimulating afternoon event. And thank you all for participating. I just received my copy of "Naked in the Zendo" on Friday as well as notification from our City Council that we are all asked to consider self imposed lock down until April 5th. So, I should be able to finish this book as well as a few other on the reading list.
    Once again, thank you Grace for taking the time to introduce us to your brand of wisdom, it is inspiring!! to say the least.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

This was wonderful. Many thanks to Rev. Grace and Jundo and all those participating. I very much enjoyed your questions and comments. Speaking of mistakes...I was unable to join the two-way meeting. I kept getting an error message that the address was invalid. Ha-I am technically challenged.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    ST

My intention was to sit two-way but there was a power outage right prior to the zazenkai
    time which lasted for several hours. Thus I'll sit with the recording on coming days.

Gassho
    Washin
    st/lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching

Thank you. Her talk was very appropriate for the time we are in.

Doshin
    St

We were in the car n so I will catch the recording when I get home we Are safe didn’t get out of our car. We just had to get out f o r something different from the house. I caught the beginning of the recording on my phone. We had an interest in the two people who couldn’t be there. Here in South Dakota testing is a mess. Testing only high risk and mid risk who are sick. A friend called. He said the nurse called him on his way to the Dr and said “You must get tested.” On his way nurses lost the order. Then two hours later he was finally tested after he insisted.!
    Tai Shi
    sat/ lah
    Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paddle, paddle!

Gratitude.

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you very much, Grace, for bringing your wisdom to us. Thank you, Jundo, for this opportunity.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

I've missed it, went cycling, but thank you so much for this footage. Naked in the zendo is on my reading's list, I saw some dear people recommending it on Instagram.

All the best to everyone and especially Nicolas in isolation and our members in the line of duty. <3

Oh my gosh that was just wonderful. Thank you so much Grace, I am looking forward very much to reading your book! The image of being the "dumb frog" is just so incredibly perfectly helpful right now

Thank you for the wide array of wonderful comments and questions, too, it was fascinating and helpful to hear the discussion of all these highly important and relevant issues.

To the person asking who we should pray to... I don't know, but I can say who to sit with... this Sangha is demonstrating just how real it is right now by being the means by which we can all find support and safety in these difficult times. Deep bows of gratitude to all of you.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/dependent on others to lend me a hand right now

Such a lovely event.

Thank you so much for coming, Rev Grace, and for everyone who attended.

I am looking forward to reading Zen Women.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

It was excellent talk! Much gratitude to Rev. Grace for coming!

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I am so very grateful because I have strong memories from 1969. The first year I discovered alcohol, drugs the year before. A shadowed blessing because in 1974 I had my first bipolar psychosis which lead to therapy which allowed after a very long and sometimes very difficult path up hill, down hill, up hill, and then I met my wife on January 7, 1980, eventually married my graduate school dear, and married in 1982, got sober in 1987, finished my MFA in 1990 sober, then exited teaching in 2000, to become retired at age 58, now I am 68, and my wife Marjorie and I (THE ZEN MASTER HERE) its 2020, facing yet another difficulty together, In 2016 after coming in to Treeleaf in 2015, receiving Jukai, and I have come to the place I wished for in 1968, and I have excepted the Precepts, this year in January 2020 for the seconds time. I still have the copy of Zen Mind, Beginner Mind I bought in 1976.
    Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    I am so very grateful because I have strong memories from 1969. The first year I discovered alcohol, drugs the year before. A shadowed blessing because in 1974 I had my first bipolar psychosis which lead to therapy which allowed after a very long and sometimes very difficult path up hill, down hill, up hill, and then I met my wife on January 7, 1980, eventually married my graduate school dear, and married in 1982, got sober in 1987, finished my MFA in 1990 sober, then exited teaching in 2000, to become retired at age 58, now I am 68, and my wife Marjorie and I (THE ZEN MASTER HERE) its 2020, facing yet another difficulty together, In 2016 after coming in to Treeleaf in 2015, receiving Jukai, and I have come to the place I wished for in 1968, and I have excepted the Precepts, this year in January 2020 for the seconds time. I still have the copy of Zen Mind, Beginner Mind I bought in 1976.
    Tai Shi
    sat/lah
    Gassho
    Sorry for the offtopic, but your life path unrolls like a great and inspiring movie in my head. Gassho!

thanks, rev Grace, Jundo and the sangha..

aprapti

std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Thank you Rev Grace. Excuse the age old dude of the generations. Your talk brought me to tears several times and my wife and I get some news from this Zendo.
    Tai
    Shi
    sat/
    Lah
    Gassho
    Deepest bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Rev. Grace and everyone!
    It was a wonderful and fascinating discussion.

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    ----

I was just able to catch up and watch this now. Thank you Rev. Grace and all.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Nenka
    ST