Thread: Zen of Creativity Chapter 13, 14

Zen of Creativity Chapter 13, 14

Practice, whether Zen or art, is a way of making the invisible visible. JDL

Greetings!

In the last 2 pithy chapters in his book JDL sums up succinctly and poetically the substance and delight of all the previous chapters.
    We are all artists, we already are perfect as we are and our job as artists is to express the ineffable in our work, rather writers, visual artists, poets, gardeners, whatever our personal choice of expression is.

In the book “the Unknown Craftsman” Soetsu Yanagi speaks of beauty in art:

It means the state of liberation from all duality, a state where there is nothing to restrict or be restricted. Beauty, then, ought to be understood as the beauty of liberation or freedom from impediment. It should be noted that true freedom is not fettered even by the idea of freedom.

I think John Daido Loori would agree.

Our Zen practice helps lead us to this state opening to what wants to come through us, not restricted, not judged, perfect and wanting expression.

Please, Meitou and I, would love your comments on this adventure we’ve had since beginning The Zen of Creativity. So many wonderful images and ideas have come from you all. We are very grateful for sticking with us through this wise and fun book. Let us have your impressions.

And from Meitou:

I would also like to thank you all for your participation and company on this wonderful journey. Anne and I are so grateful for your support.

In this final prompt, all I would like to suggest is that you post whatever has moved you throughout this project, either a favourite piece or something you haven't posted yet, perhaps something that has grown out of what we have been discussing here, or something that you may be developing for the future. And you could also go literally full circle and post a final Enso. Please also let us know your thoughts about this project and anything you might like to work with in the future.

Again, thank you, keep creating, and enjoy!

Gassho
    Meitou and Anne

we both sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    Practice, whether Zen or art, is a way of making the invisible visible. JDL
    This is an amazing statement.

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

Thank you all who contributed...
    and this includes those who contributed with watching and thinking about the posted thoughts and works.

"The artist is not a special kind of person;
    rather each person is a special kind of artist.
    Ananda Coomaraswamy

Anne and Meitou,
    I really enjoyed our journey. Your help with the book and the prompts.
    The conceptual, heavy thought processes involving works, I was involved in, in the past, easily got my internal 'this is art' approval stamp.
    The more intuitive, sometimes even playful things I do, are not that easily approved.
    The book, imho, is more on that intuitive side and some of the prompts, too.
    Somehow, my own judgement borders about myself are softening... and this is a good thing.

I enjoyed, having triggered my imagination with the prompts and readings and wouldn't hesitate joining something like this again.
    I don't like the pseudoscience aspects of Deepak Chopra, but I like his
    "The best use of imagination is creativity. The worst use of imagination is anxiety."

Just finished reading and have to think a bit about the prompt.
    Thank you.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Will this forum remain open and unlocked long-term? For people who may go back and contribute at a later time (or simply over time)?

gassho
    meian st lh
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    Will this forum remain open and unlocked long-term? For people who may go back and contribute at a later time (or simply over time)?

gassho
    meian st lh
    I certainly hope so Meian and welcome the idea that it stands as a course that people can do in their own time whenever they want to.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    I certainly hope so Meian and welcome the idea that it stands as a course that people can do in their own time whenever they want to.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    I just want to thank Anne, Meitou, Kokuu and everyone (Jishin's animals too) who contributed so much here. Yes. it should remain open. I see not reason to close it. Also, I am hoping that some projects and reflections can continue from here ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Yes thank you Anne, Meitou and all who contributed here. This forum feels like such an important dimension of Treeleaf, even for those of us who can’t leap in and participate actively.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello all,
    And you are welcome Kotei, Jundo and Jakuden! And a big thanks to everyone who has participated in this JDL journey! Some amazing images and ideas have emerged. Meitou and I are so grateful.

The TL Art Circle is alive and well and intends to stay so! (There is some virus joke here, but too early in the morning to think of it) We are discussing our next adventure, so please stay tuned.

And yes, the JDL thread is open and we encourage visits and additions.

Gassho
    Stay well
    Anne

~st~

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    Thank you, Meitou, Anne and everyone who make this project possible. I would love to continue with it when I have more time.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat/LAH

Just to say I read the final two chapters just now and found them absolutely incredible.

Daido Loori Roshi really does go out with a bang, leaving us in no doubt of the nature of the self and universe:

In intimacy, there's no knowing.
    There's no reference system from which to know.
    There's no outside or inside.
    There's no thing that can be known or person that can know it.
    Not knowing fills the universe.
    There's no place to put this gigantic body.
    It contains everything.
    Beautiful!

Can our art capture this intimacy? Is there any way it cannot!?

Thank you so much to Anne and Meitou for guiding us through this book. It has been a pleasure and a joy.

Deep bows
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank you Anne and Meitou for setting up this project.
    I'm behind with the reading and there are prompts I'd like to return to so I'm
    happy this thread will remain open.

Looking through the world with heightened perception - visual and otherwise - in the light of the current global crisis,
    I would imagine that creativity and expression is needed now more than ever before. Perhaps we could open a thread dedicated
    to our creative responses.

Never felt more part of Indra's net than now.

Jinyo

sat today

Hello Jinyo

Yes the Zen of Creativity threads will remain open. Dip in at your leisure. Lots of material covered and we know that folks would like to work at their own pace.

And Meitou and I are working on a new thread that addresses this global crisis and our creativity.

Stay tuned!

Gassho
    Anne
    ~st~

Kokuu,

Thank you for your support and contribution to this project. Kokuu is the person who recommended we study JDL's lovely book in the first place.

Deep bows!
    Anne
    ~lahst~