Thread: Bodhisattva Vows test

Bodhisattva Vows test

G'day Comrades
    Just thought I'd share an experience I had today...
    My partner who has MS doesn't drive anymore so I'm designated driver.
    So she maintains a level of independence I regularly take her where she wants to go then sit on a camping chair next to our ute and read while she does what she wants or needs to do.
    This morning while reading I was approached by a bloke who said he was homeless and asked for a small amount of money. While fossicking around looking for money a security guard approached and moved on the bloke who was asking for money.
    At this point I must disclose my healthy disrespect for authority, especially police and security.
    Admittedly I may have come across as a little aggressive at first as I asked what exactly my potential new friend was doing that was so wrong.
    Cue security turning his attention towards me.
    As any reasonable person with any self worth would do I refused to give my personal details and questioned thoroughly the authority under which I was being interrogated, the exact nature of behaviour that I had displayed in sitting next to a ute reading that warranted his questioning and made a genuine enquiry as to whether he had something better he could be doing. I also suggested he call police if he thought my behaviour (sitting on a chair reading) to be threatening.
    At this point I verbally acknowledged that I could have come across as aggressive at first and took ownership of that. He thanked me for my apology at which point I corrected him by reiterating that I took ownership of possibly coming across as aggressive at first.
    He walked off stating that he was reporting me to management and I returned to reading.
    At no point did I swear, raise my voice or lose my crap at this security guard which is something I'm quite proud of. Not so long ago I wouldn't have been as accommodating, respectful or in all honesty, peaceful.
    The test of my Bodhisattva vows has less to do with the interaction and how I handled it and more to do with the feelings that came up an hour or so later. Let's just say that my language was colourful and there was a strong sense of frustration in my deviation from past behaviour and responses. I feel like I'm fighting myself in a significant way and being able to reflect on this is adding to the frustration where I was hoping to find solace.
    Gassho
    Onka
    sat today/didn't beat up a security guard

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for your practice Onka

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you, Onka. Many times I fail to bring compassion in these kinds of situations like you did.
    And many times I fail to help others as I could.
    I'd like to share something that happened to a friend of ours father this week. Someone rang the bell in his house and asked for a glass of water. He went and gave the glass of water, but then the guy anounced a robbery and put a gun on his head. These crimes are being increasingly common around here. And many people are simply giving up helping others when thay ring the bell asking for money, food or water; myself included on many ocasions.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Quote Originally Posted by mateus.baldin View Post
    Thank you, Onka. Many times I fail to bring compassion in these kinds of situations like you did.
    And many times I fail to help others as I could.
    I'd like to share something that happened to a friend of ours father this week. Someone rang the bell in his house and asked for a glass of water. He went and gave the glass of water, but then the guy anounced a robbery and put a gun on his head. These crimes are being increasingly common around here. And many people are simply giving up helping others when thay ring the bell asking for money, food or water; myself included on many ocasions.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today
    I'm sorry to hear of your friend's experience Mateus.
    I lived in a housing estate in London and what you see and hear on the estate any time day or night is eye opening to say the least. One of the tactics people use to force their way into someone's flat is by saying that they are there to check the gas meter. No-one opens their door to strangers unless they have proper ID. Yes it's a sad state of the world when poor people rob poor people but desperation borne of living in a world with such inequality between the haves and the have nots drives people to this state. It really is heart breaking.
    I've been reflecting more on my recent encounter with an over zealous security twit and I've realised that our practice is called practice for a reason. Had I not been doing Shikantaza every morning for a year or so, and had I not taken the Precepts vowing to try and live a simple, humble, non-violent life to the best of my abilities the outcome may have been very different.
    Stay safe comrade.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today

穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

For some reason I lost my cool at work this week. Two people pushed in front of me to get to the kettle and as well all know, getting between and Englishman and a cup of tea is a terrible crime. I had to walk off and sit down at my desk muttering to myself instead of confronting them as I knew I would have gone from 0-11. I sat with the anger and let it pass knowing it was ridiculous.

I think my practice helped me see that the anger was baseless and temporary so I just sat with it for a bit until it passed then laughed about it. I've still no idea what cause such a reaction though!

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Quote Originally Posted by Heiso View Post
    For some reason I lost my cool at work this week. Two people pushed in front of me to get to the kettle and as well all know, getting between and Englishman and a cup of tea is a terrible crime. I had to walk off and sit down at my desk muttering to myself instead of confronting them as I knew I would have gone from 0-11. I sat with the anger and let it pass knowing it was ridiculous.

I think my practice helped me see that the anger was baseless and temporary so I just sat with it for a bit until it passed then laughed about it. I've still no idea what cause such a reaction though!

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah
    Maybe you broke the precept of not telling the truth to them? Shame shame shame.

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    I'm sorry to hear of your friend's experience Mateus.
    I lived in a housing estate in London and what you see and hear on the estate any time day or night is eye opening to say the least. One of the tactics people use to force their way into someone's flat is by saying that they are there to check the gas meter. No-one opens their door to strangers unless they have proper ID. Yes it's a sad state of the world when poor people rob poor people but desperation borne of living in a world with such inequality between the haves and the have nots drives people to this state. It really is heart breaking.
    I've been reflecting more on my recent encounter with an over zealous security twit and I've realised that our practice is called practice for a reason. Had I not been doing Shikantaza every morning for a year or so, and had I not taken the Precepts vowing to try and live a simple, humble, non-violent life to the best of my abilities the outcome may have been very different.
    Stay safe comrade.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today

Thank you for your words and your exemple, Onka.

Mateus
    Sat/LAH