Thread: Dogen Institute's new study page.

Dogen Institute's new study page.

Just in case anyone has a shortage of reading or study material, the most excellent Dogen Institute has created a new study page/reading list. The recommendations are chosen by Okumura Roshi and divided into three traditional topics.

https://dogeninstitute.wordpress.com...d-about-dogen/

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you!

Gassho

Risho
    -st

Thank you
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you, Meitou!

I saw that. Looks very interesting!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Yes, thank you Meitou!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

I humbly offer my impression that it is an excellent list. It is a serious list, and might be a little hard for someone just to dive into because it ranges from straight, unadulterated writings by Dogen from Shobogenzo and by others (e.g., Shobogenzo Bodaisatta Shishobo, Jijuyu Zanmai by Menzan Zuiho) to serious scholar's introductions to Dogen (Dogen’s Manuals of Zen Meditation by Carl Bielefeldt) to writings which are a bit of both and a little "heavy going" perhaps for someone just new to Dogen who is not already a big Dogen aficianado (Dogen’s Extensive Record & Dogen’s Pure Standards for the Zen Community translated by Leighton & Okumura).

All the books by Aitken Roshi (Mind of Clover) and others that he lists about the Precepts are good introductions to those.

The books on there which are good doorways to Dogen are, I feel, the following in order of increasing difficulty:

Opening the Hand of Thought: Foundation of Zen Buddhist Practice (Kosho Uchiyama)
    From the Zen Kitchen to Enlightenment: Refining Your Life (Dogen & Uchiyama)
    Realizing Genjokoan: The Key to Dogen’s Shobogenzo: Shohaku Okumura
    Deepest Practice, Deepest Wisdom: Three Fascicles from Shobogenzo with Commentaries: Kosho Uchiyama

then big jump to:

The Mountains and Waters Sutra: A Practitioner’s Guide to Dogen’s “Sansuikyo”: Shohaku Okumura
    Being-Time: A Practitioner’s Guide to Dogen’s Shobogenzo Uji: Shinshu Roberts
    Dogen’s Genjo Koan: Three Commentaries: translations and commentaries by Bokusan Nishiari and others.

They are all great books.

Who knows? Maybe "The Zen Master's Dance" by Jundo Cohen, due from Wisdom Publications this Fall, may have the honor of being up there some day?!

Most all of the books are on our Treeleaf recommended reading list, by the way.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-05-2020 at 08:50 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank You for the information it also led me to the Sanshin Zen Community

Gassho
    John
    Sat Today
    Heitou
    平桃

Thank you, Meitou

Gassho
    Washin
    sat today
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you Meitou and thank you Jundo for expertly shining light our study. On discovering Dogen I impetuously dived in the deep end and got a shock! Shobogenzo sits waiting...

Gassho, Chris satlah

More books to add to my reading list, just what I needed, thanks Meitou

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah