Hello all,

I have recently been intrigued by the concept of named Bodhisattvas who are essentially deities in esoteric Buddhism. I know this doesn't particularly concern us Zen folk, but it's a topic that interests me.

I remember Jundo talking about Kannon on a few occasions. Rather than seeing her as this goddess who blesses people compassionately, I remember Jundo saying that all of our own acts of compassion make us Kannon's arms which reach out to aid others.

I find myself wondering if the same line of thought also applies to other Bodhisattvas. I have been particularly considering this with Fudo Myo-o. He is often seen as a horrific fierce deity and protector of the Dharma. I read a brief article which described him as having a scary face perhaps to remind people of the demons that await them in Hell when they die of they do not live life according to the Dharma. With his sword kurikara, he cuts the bonds of negative feelings, transforming anger to compassion and freeing people from bondage through the power of self control.

Considering how I could apply this concept similarly to how Jundo explained his thoughts on Kannon, I came to this so far:

If Fudo's frightening face is to remind us of what Hell awaits, it is to remind us that this world here and now can be Hell if we live a life lacking in self control. When we hone our self control and choose compassion over wrath, we become free. In this way, we embody the message of Fudo Myo-o.

Further thoughts are welcome and please add to it if you will!

ST

Victor

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk