Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 63 and 64

"Simple Living" - Chapters 63 and 64

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 63 - Cultivate Your Sense Of Gratitude - "Everything is Fine, Thank God" is a terrible translation, in my opinion, for Okagesama de ... which is more like "Everything is find, thank YOU even though you did not obviously do anything." The idea is the Buddhist concept that we are all connected so that, even though there is no obvious connection of you to my good health or peaceful life, I thank you anyway because you somehow contribute. People say this in Japan all the time (but even most Japanese really understand why! I have had to explain the origin of the phrase to more than a few. )

This week, please thank, for no obvious reason, a few people who did not obviously do anything for you. If they ask why, just say, "No reason, just thank you."

Say thank you upon waking, just for waking in the morning.

Bow to your food sometimes, and say thank you ... to the sky, rain, farmers, plants, animals ...

Chapter 64 - Demonstrate Rather Than Assert How You Feel - Sweep or water the entrance walk or vestibule of your house with a feeling of welcome in your heart for all who may come this week. In winter, shoveling snow from a path is good too.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-05-2020 at 02:55 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

my little talk during the Zazenkai this week was about "Okagesama de" ... at about 1:09:15 ...

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

This week, please thank, for no obvious reason, a few people who did not obviously do anything for you. If they ask why, just say, "No reason, just thank you."

Say thank you upon waking, just for waking in the morning.

Bow to your food sometimes, and say thank you ... to the sky, rain, farmers, plants, animals ...

Chapter 64 - Express Your Mind, But Not In Words - ...

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I may have thanked my African violet for blooming in the middle of this cold and dreary February.

Nenka
    ST

I thanked a lot of people and pets this week. Some only in my head.
    Thank you, Jundo, for the dharma talk about this Japanese expression in the Weekly Zazenkai. I love these Japanese greetings with a lot of meaning behind them.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today/LAH