Thread: Realizing Genjokoan - Chapter 6 - First Half, to P 81

Realizing Genjokoan - Chapter 6 - First Half, to P 81

Dear All Self-Studiers,

We will read the first pages of Chapter 6, stopping at P 81 (just before the section "Dropping Off Body and Mind.")

ln our weekly Zazenkai, we had a language teacher come. So l spoke of a language of Zazen that drops the subject and pronouns (l, me, you, it) and the objects of the sentence, subject and predicate. We also drop the adjectives and adverbs which judge and describe the nouns and verbs ... and when remains in reality as a great verb which we cannot even really say in words (even "being" does not cut it). This Great Verb is action which expresses you, me, all things and everything, and somehow contains every word in the dictionary!

Okumura Roshi speaks of the Japanese "narau" as study ("To study the self ... "), but the Japanese tend to learn many things by physically doing and trying, rather than book study or philosophy (e.g., the way to learn Karate is to practice Karate, not think about it or read books about it.). So, l often feel that "learn through practice" might be a better translation of "narau" than is "study." Something like "To learn by practice with the self is to forget the self ... "

There is a close connection here to the earlier lines ...

Conveying oneself toward all things to carry out practice-enlightenment is delusion. All things coming and carrying out practice-enlightenment through the self is realization.

When we somehow drop the selfish insistence, judgementalism and pushiness of the self, the who world comes pouring in and enlightens the self.

Gassho, J

Stlah

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I decided to reread chapter five in its entirety but I'll start reading chapter six in the coming days. I deeply appreciate studying Realizing Genjōkōan together.

Gassho,
    Seibu
    Sattoday

If a baby bird learns to fly by watching its parents fly, who/what does the practitioner learn the Buddha Dharma from? The no-self?

Gassho,
    Tyler
    SatToday

I thought this section was really clear on how practice is about doing rather than thinking or reading about it. Liked the analogy of learning karate that Jundo gives. When I was learning karate and judo (a long long time ago now!) it would have been silly to talk about learning by reading books or just thinking about the moves. I think sometimes in our modern internet age with lots of things to read about the Dharma we can place too much emphasis on studying, rather than just doing.
    Paul
    Sat today
    LAH

At the risk of using words

Universe moves/changes/differentiates and recombines. If my eyes cannot saccade I cannot see.

Gregory Bateson said "mind is whatever notices difference" and adjusts accordingly, generally in order to self-perpetuate within change and recombination. A whiff of Dawkins there? I would footnote that accepting non-aggrandizing non-perpetuation is the prerogative of "individuals." (Precepts?)

Dongshan asked the teacher: "what do I say if anyone asks if I can mirror you?"

"Hmm ... I am just this (man of Han). [the full phrase was used by prisoners who agreed with the verdict and sentence of the State] Be careful how you use this."

Hmm.

Contextualized self-perpetuating (still eating) universe portion (moi) practices.

Oh Jundo! your talk there was one of the best ever. _()_ _()_ _()_

gassho
    doyu sat and is about to lah a little
    Visiting unsui: use salt

I am glad we are back to reading this text. I read ahead a bit but I am happy to circle back and read along with the Sangha.

Like Paul I appreciated the comments on how the emphasis is on doing rather than simply reading or thinking about Zen. Kyonin has made a comment about sitting 10 hours for every one hour of reading (I think I got that right). Whether he does this or not I think the intent is clear. This is an active practice where we really have to bring the Dharma to life in our own lives.

Like the entire book this was a wonderful little section.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    I am glad we are back to reading this text. I read ahead a bit but I am happy to circle back and read along with the Sangha.

Like Paul I appreciated the comments on how the emphasis is on doing rather than simply reading or thinking about Zen. Kyonin has made a comment about sitting 10 hours for every one hour of reading (I think I got that right). Whether he does this or not I think the intent is clear. This is an active practice where we really have to bring the Dharma to life in our own lives.

Like the entire book this was a wonderful little section.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Completely agree, and I have nothing more to add. Also, thank you Jundo for the introduction. Your karate analogy more or less links it to the topic practicing without a teacher and the examples found there.

Gassho,
    Seibu
    Sattoday

Thank you Jundo for the commentary. I appreciate the 'perspective' exploration in the beginning of chapter six. 'To study the self is to forget the self', the 'self selfing the self', letting 'body and mind drop off' are all helpful studies when describing zazen. And yet as Okamura Roshi points out, while we negate the limited, conditioned, karmic self, we are also accepting that which was just described as being negated. Both views apply and are real.

Gassho,

Ryoku

ST/LAH