Thread: ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY Feb. 23rd with Rev. Kenshin Catherine Cascade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY Feb. 23rd with Rev. Kenshin Catherine Cascade

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Soto Priest and Teacher, Kenshin Catherine Cascade, of the Bird Haven Zendo, will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk on SUNDAY February 23rd, LIVE from Oregon and Treeleaf Tsukuba.

More about Kenshin ...

Kenshin Catherine Cascade was ordained as a monk in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives in 2000 and, following a Transfer of Discipleship, was re-ordained as a priest in the lineage of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi by Hozan Alan Senauke in 2004. She received Dharma Transmission from Hozan Sensei, Vice-Abbot of Berkeley Zen Center, in 2012. Bird Haven Zendo is an intimate home-style Soto Zen practice place sitting on 5 wooded acres in the foothills between the Willamette Valley and the Coast Range mountains of western Oregon. Kenshin Catherine Cascade and Yudo John Mogey are in residence year round.

https://www.birdhavenzendo.org/index.php/en/

The mystical realism of the teachings of Eihei Dogen, the founder of the Soto Zen school in Japan, and the warmhearted teaching of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi, who brought our lineage to America, are touchstones for our efforts and understanding.

Let me note that Kenshin will be Ordaining our cherished Treeleaf Member, Doyu, sometime in April.

The festivities for our Zazenkai will begin at 9:00 AM US PACIFIC TIME SUNDAY 2/23 (that is NOON in New York, London 5:00pm and Paris 6:00pm, all SUNDAY February 23rd).

THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following: About 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Kenshin for about 30 minutes, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes or so.

It is traditional to offer a donation (Dana) to a teacher, but Rev. Cascade has asked of those folks joining in or listening to this Zazen sitting: "I'd be very pleased if people who wish to do so would offer money, food, or other assistance to the next homeless person they meet."

I hope that we will have a big turnout, with many folks joining us "two way" too (instructions below).

Let's all get together to welcome Kenshin.

Gassho, Jundo

HOW TO JOIN THE ZAZENKAI '2-WAY':

You can join the Zazenkai two-way in the Scheduled Sitting Room using Zoom any one of the following ways:

- Use this direct link: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244
    - Open Zoom and join with this meeting id: 483 483 1244
    - Go to Treeleaf NOW and select the Scheduled Sitting Room: treeleaf.org/ssr

Notes:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- You can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / tic-tac-toe style view):
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to say hi and bow to everyone)
    STLah

delete doyuord.jpgdelete doyu teach.png
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-06-2020 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Added youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

This is excellent news. I very much look forward to Kenshin's talk. May the goddess of internet be kind to me.
    Gassho
    Onka
    stlah
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Excited. That other event is scheduled for April 11, time TBA I think.

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Wonderful!! Looking forward to this very much!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you,
    looking very much forward to it.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you Jundo. I intend to participate and looking forward to this.
    So wonderful news, Doyu

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Doshin
    St

Gassho,
    Seibu (was Jack)
    Sattoday

This is wonderful! Because it's on a Sunday (here) I'll be able to attend! Looking forward to it

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Zoom is really handy for not having to reserve a seat! I will be going to a dog grooming convention in Pasadena that weekend, but I may be home in time.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

This is awesome thank you so much for doing this Jundo and priests.

I know this is not the first guest in our Sangha so I was wondering if there is a link or forum that contains all the old guest talks?

This would be greatly appreciated!

Gassho,

Ippo

Quote Originally Posted by Ippo View Post
    This is awesome thank you so much for doing this Jundo and priests.

I know this is not the first guest in our Sangha so I was wondering if there is a link or forum that contains all the old guest talks?

This would be greatly appreciated!

Gassho,

Ippo
    Here are most of them, l believe. There may be a few others that escape my memory ...

Special Zazenkai SUNDAY with Rev. EDWARD ESPE BROWN (The Tassajara Tenzo)
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ajara-Tenzo%29

Special New Year Zazenkai SATURDAY 1/5 with Zoketsu Norman Fischer
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Norman-Fischer

Special Zazenkai SATURDAY 8/4 with Author/Zen Teacher SUSAN MOON
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...her-SUSAN-MOON

Special Zazenkai SUNDAY April 30th with DAVID LOY
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...with-DAVID-LOY

Special Zazenkai SUNDAY 10/23 w/ Taikyo Morgans
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Taikyo-Morgans

Special Zazenkai SATURDAY 10/15 w/ Myozan Kodo
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-w-Myozan-Kodo

Special Zazenkai SUNDAY JUNE 5th with BRAD WARNER
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...28MAIN-PAGE%29

Special Zazenkai SATURDAY with Rev. Mary Mocine of Clear Water Zendo
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...do-%28REDUX%29

Special Zazenkai SATURDAY with Rev. TAIGEN DAN LEIGHTON
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...N-DAN-LEIGHTON

Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY w/ Ben Connelly, of "INSIDE THE GRASS HUT"
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-Sit-A-Long%21

Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY with MUHO NOELKE, Abbot of Antaiji

Special Guest, Special Zazenkai NEXT SUNDAY with Rev. Tonen O'Connor

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-09-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Here are most of them, l believe. There may be a few others that escape my memory ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Deepest bows for this work Jundo: Past, Present and Future .

It's great have such wealth of knowledge from great teachers. Although, I do have my personal favorite (aka Jundo).

P.S. When is your book going to be released??

Thank you for all this,

Gassho

Ippo

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Ippo View Post
    Deepest bows for this work Jundo: Past, Present and Future .

It's great have such wealth of knowledge from great teachers. Although, I do have my personal favorite (aka Jundo).

P.S. When is your book going to be released??

Thank you for all this,

Gassho

Ippo

SatToday
    They tell me that "The Zen Master's Dance" will be released in the fall. The are now doing the cover design. I suggested something with a "whirling dervish" theme, but with a robed Zen fellow, as the artwork. I don't know if they will go with that.

Gassho, Jundo

That is a really good suggestion, Ippo! I think you can probably find them through a search but a thread or sticky with past guest Zazenkai would be a good idea. Although that is not to say that they are any better than our regular Zazenkai with Jundo!

So great that Kenshin Catherine is visiting our sangha. Thank you for arranging it Jundo!

My mother will be here that weekend so I will sadly have to sit it after the event.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thanks for that Jundo. I sat with most but missed a couple. Now I know where they are.

Doshin
    St

I'm putting this on my calendar, hope to be there live. I should be free at that time.

Great idea on collecting the guest talks, Ippo. I had no idea there have been so many.

Thank you for posting them, Jundo! I'm very excited to check these out as time allows.

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today

I'll be there. Planning to be there live.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

If I've worked the times out properly I think I'll be joining you all live at 3am on Monday morning. YAHTZEE!
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today/lent a hand.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Intending to join you all
    Gassho, chris
    sat/lah

I have been to the beautiful Willamette Valley in 1970 when my father and I studied at OSU near Bird Haven Zendo. I studied one year of German, an advanced accelerated class in eleven weeks, and college algebra. My father was a graduate student and then earned his MS in vocational ed, with emphasis in electronics at Cal. Polly. I love my father, still living. Eighteen months later after study at for one year with dad in CA, I left Des Moines, IA, mom's home where I worked one summer: I then attended The Goethe Institute studying German, lived, worked, and traveled through Europe 9 mo vagabonding, returned to Grinnell College in Iowa where I completed me BA English lit, went on for 3 advanced degrees becoming a trained poet. I very much wish to attend at 11:00 a.m. Central Time USA.
    Gassho
    The Deepest Bows
    and respect
    sat/lah
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 02-23-2020 at 03:49 PM.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Woke up to a bright sunny morning. Going for a walk and will tune in when I get back. Thanks for setting this up.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

My computer started acting up and I had to stop. I don't see a one way connection so I will watch later when the video is up.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you to Kenshin for talk and enthusiasm. Thank you Doyu and Jundo for another opportunity to share with friends in practice. And thank you to Treeleafers and all beings for manifesting the great mystery today.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Nice

Thank you.

Did I undertand correctyly that there may be a Zoom opportunity to be with Doyu during her ordination? If so has a date been chosen?

Doshin
    st
    Last edited by Doshin; 02-23-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Did I undertand correctyly that there may be a Zoom oppotinuity to be with Doyu during her ordination? If so has a date been chosen?
    April 11 I believe. I'm sure there will be a more formal announcement as the date gets closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post
    My computer started acting up and I had to stop. I don't see a one way connection so I will watch later when the video is up.
    The recording should just be embedded at the top of this thread for anyone who would like to watch later.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you Rev. Kenshin for your wonderful teaching that will continue to resonate deeply on so many levels.
    Thank you Jundo and all at Treeleaf for sharing this precious sangha with so many globally, who would otherwise be isolated in their zen walk.
    Gassho, Chris sat/lah
    Last edited by Yokai; 02-24-2020 at 12:26 AM.

Thank you all again. It was nice to see the turn out .

Thank you Jundo and priests. Thank you Rev. Kenshin. Thank you to Doyu for helping to arrange this. It's so nice to see other teachers coming to Tree Leaf and sharing their wisdom and supporting our Sangha.

Have a great week

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday
    Last edited by Ippo; 02-24-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Thank you Rev Kenshin and all who joined in. It is wonderful for us to have exposure to so many experienced teachers and different points of view.

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you all again, thank your especially to Rev. Kenshin. Thank you to Doyu for helping to arrange today. It was a poignant talk for all of us.

My apologies again for my lateness ... ... I plead age and the 2am hour here. Oh, I did it this time ... My apologies.

In any case, we look forward to Doyu's Ordination by Rev. Kenshin in April. Wonderful.

Nine Bows, Jundo

STlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-23-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Thank you so much Rev. Kenshin, what a wonderful and inspiring talk! I can see why our dear Doyu knew to call you Teacher right away :-) And where she has attained so much wisdom and heart.

Deep Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Wonderful!
    Thank you Rev. Kenshin, Jundo and everyone who joined live or watched at home.

Gassho
    Washin
    st/lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you Rev. Kenshin and everyone.
    I enjoyed the talk and coming together with all of you.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I deeply enjoyed this talk -- thank you Rev. Kenshin, Doyu and Jundo. It is so amazing to have these opportunities to sit and learn from so many others.

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today

Finally got a chance to watch. Thanks to everyone for their comments and questions at the end. But mostly thank you Rev. Kenshin. I really appreciated the teaching on Mahapajapati and overcoming barriers.

It was a lovely session.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    E84I - JAJ

Never late. It was a good quiet time for us all, I think.

Thank you, Jundo, Kenshin, and everyone for this opportunity. _()_

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you Rev. Kenshin, Doyu and Jundo. For me this brought new meaning to the idea of barriers.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Thank you Rev. Kenshin for that talk. I've always loved the story of Ananda getting the Buddha to change his mind about women.

And thanks to Jundo and all who helped make this visit happen!

Gassho

Nenka
    Fellow Allergy Sufferer

ST

Thank you, Rev. Kenshin, Jundo, and Doyu. This really inspired me. My older daughter and I had a long talk afterwards about breaking down all kinds of barriers, which is a frequent topic in our home (she's a sociology major, and I'm me!). We've spoken a few times of the work that Treeleaf is doing to dissolve barriers. I hope we continue to break barriers to inclusion ..... regardless of what institutions say.

Hope to see you again, Rev. Kenshin, your talk and the experience of meeting you today were inspiring and helpful.

Deep Bows

Meian sat today
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Oh my.

Well, I was able to edit out from the start the 8 or so minutes I left everyone sitting there as I dozed in front of the computer. Please, everyone, don't think it okay to close your eyes "for a second" while the computer boots up!

If only we could "edit out" all our life mistakes so easily! I am very glad that Rev. Kenshin's Talk was about the Buddha flubbing something up!

Oh well. Here is the "Sound of One Hand Clapping"

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

I just sat with this zazenkai. Thank you, Kenshin, Jundo, Doyu, and everyone who had a part in this zazenkai. The talk was wonderful, uplifting, and pertinent to our practice. I look forward to Doyu's ordination.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat Today
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Never late. It was a good quiet time for us all, I think.
    Agreed

Gassho,Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

I got so excited when I seen this thread until I looked at my watch and it said 2100, so thank you for the video so I could see what I missed. I am ecstatic to have found you guys so I can learn from everyone here what I couldn't by myself by reading books.

Gassho
    John (sotozen73)
    Sat Today

That was beautiful!

Thank you, Jundo, Kenshin and Doyu for setting this up. It was lovely to hear Rev Kenshin's words when it came to barriers and her response to Jakuden seemed right on the money to me. We may not always be able to knock down the barriers, but we can certainly put our heart and soul into practice abd be ready for when they do open up.

Deep bows to all of you. I look forward to seeing Doyu's ordination.

Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

I was able to sit with you today. Many thanks to Rev. Kenshin, Jundo and Doyu for making this possible. I recently had read the chapter about Mahapajapati in Zen Women, but, oh my, this talk has greatly expanded my appreciation of her story and its meaning to us today. I am inspired to see through my own barriers. May we all be ready to be allies.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah

This was a very moving talk. Thank you, Jundo, Doyu and Rev. Kenshin.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

I'm a little late here, but I'd like to thank Rev. Kenshin for her beautiful and very inspiring talk. Thank you, Doyu, for making this possible.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!