Thread: ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY Feb. 23rd with Rev. Kenshin Catherine Cascade

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai SUNDAY Feb. 23rd with Rev. Kenshin Catherine Cascade

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Soto Priest and Teacher, Kenshin Catherine Cascade, of the Bird Haven Zendo, will be offering a very special Zazenkai and Talk on SUNDAY February 23rd, LIVE from Oregon and Treeleaf Tsukuba.

More about Kenshin ...

Kenshin Catherine Cascade was ordained as a monk in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives in 2000 and, following a Transfer of Discipleship, was re-ordained as a priest in the lineage of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi by Hozan Alan Senauke in 2004. She received Dharma Transmission from Hozan Sensei, Vice-Abbot of Berkeley Zen Center, in 2012. Bird Haven Zendo is an intimate home-style Soto Zen practice place sitting on 5 wooded acres in the foothills between the Willamette Valley and the Coast Range mountains of western Oregon. Kenshin Catherine Cascade and Yudo John Mogey are in residence year round.

https://www.birdhavenzendo.org/index.php/en/

The mystical realism of the teachings of Eihei Dogen, the founder of the Soto Zen school in Japan, and the warmhearted teaching of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi, who brought our lineage to America, are touchstones for our efforts and understanding.

Let me note that Kenshin will be Ordaining our cherished Treeleaf Member, Doyu, sometime in April.

The festivities for our Zazenkai will begin at 9:00 AM US PACIFIC TIME SUNDAY 2/23 (that is NOON in New York, London 5:00pm and Paris 6:00pm, all SUNDAY February 23rd).

THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will look like the following: About 30 minutes of Zazen, a Talk by Kenshin for about 30 minutes, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 90 minutes or so.

It is traditional to offer a donation (Dana) to a teacher, but Rev. Cascade has asked of those folks joining in or listening to this Zazen sitting: "I'd be very pleased if people who wish to do so would offer money, food, or other assistance to the next homeless person they meet."

I hope that we will have a big turnout, with many folks joining us "two way" too (instructions below).

Let's all get together to welcome Kenshin.

Gassho, Jundo

HOW TO JOIN THE ZAZENKAI '2-WAY':

You can join the Zazenkai two-way in the Scheduled Sitting Room using Zoom any one of the following ways:

- Use this direct link: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244
    - Open Zoom and join with this meeting id: 483 483 1244
    - Go to Treeleaf NOW and select the Scheduled Sitting Room: treeleaf.org/ssr

Notes:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- You can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / tic-tac-toe style view):
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to say hi and bow to everyone)
    STLah

delete doyuord.jpgdelete doyu teach.png
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-06-2020 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Added youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE