Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 59 and 60

"Simple Living" - Chapters 59 and 60

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 59 - Try Clearing You Head - Find some place near the sounds of nature, if you can: the sounds of falling rain in a storm, or the wind blowing, or birds singing outside. lf you do not live in such a place, even the "natural" sounds of cars passing on the street below, or noisy neighbors will do. Put on a blindfold or cover your eyes with you arm while reclining. Really listen for a few minutes, but with the non-analysis and non-judgement of "mushiryo."

Chapter 60 - Enjoy A Zen Garden - Find a patch of sand or open dirt, and a 2 or 3 interesting stones. Draw a pattern in the sand with a stick, and place the stone in some balanced way within the space, with or without a little moss or other green. Appreciate your work for a few minutes with the equanimity of "mushiryo." No need, but should you want, please share of photo of the garden here.

Kyonin and l saw a few of Japan's most astonishing rock and sand gardens at Kenninji temple in Kyoto during our visit there earlier this year ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-29-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Chapter 59

I did go back to the Episcopal Church today. I waited for about 45min before I realized no one was coming and I practiced my meditation and listened to the birds (mostly Seagulls). I don't know how people here feel about mixing religious practice but my Buddhist friend actually suggested I go back for various reasons. Turns out it was the day of the annual meeting so they were only holding the second service today rather than the early one. So I got to do my meditation and be out in nature for a while early in the morning. I was standing though in my meditation. It really was beautiful outside this morning.

Gassho,
    SATToday
    Theresa
    Be humble for you are made of earth,
    Be noble for you are made of stars.