Thread: January 24th-25th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

January 24th-25th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 8pm, Los Angeles 5pm (Friday night), London 1am and Paris 2am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS 7 MlNUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD. JUST CLICK AND JOIN BEFORE START TIME. 'TWO WAY' REQUIRES INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANYONE CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 01-25-2020 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Added youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo) for our Ceremony will be this lovely version by Kanho Yakushiji, a Rinzai Zen priest from Kyoto who is also a popular singer in Japan (also known as Kissaquo) ...

... and a longer performance here ...

A little bit more about him in this article ...

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/ja...h-modern-music

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-25-2020 at 12:57 AM.

Intention to attend two way.

Gassho
    Doyu
    Sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See y'all soon!

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi Jundo,

I'll see if I can sit live. If not, I'll sit this one tomorrow morning

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

My intention is two way live but my spine is not playing nice today so I may have to sit with you all in bits.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you, Jundo. I plan to join two-way and look forward to the musical Heart Sutra.
    Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    My intention is two way live but my spine is not playing nice today so I may have to sit with you all in bits.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today
    Metta to you, Onka. I hope you feel better soon.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    Metta to you, Onka. I hope you feel better soon.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

You can join the Zazenkai two-way in the Scheduled Sitting Room using Zoom any one of the following ways:

- Use this direct link: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244
    - Open Zoom and join with this meeting id: 483 483 1244
    - Go to Treeleaf NOW and select the Scheduled Sitting Room: treeleaf.org/ssr

Notes:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- You can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / Hollywood Squares / Brady Bunch style view):
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to say hi and bow to everyone)

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I am joining in tonight one-way.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    Sat/Lah

I had to leave early due to rain coming through the roof. Will catch up.
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you all who sat or will sit, Have a wonderful weel.

gassho, Shokai

stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone. I will keep my thoughts, words, and acts on gentle things. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Sat one-way with everyone. Thank you, Jundo for the wonderful talk about language. Thank you everyone for your practice. I have been mostly silent here lately but I appreciate everyone here at Treeleaf.

Gassho,
    Kendrick
    Sat/Lah

EEEee! Puppyyyy!!

I mean, thank you Jundo, Sekishi and everyone. Safe travels Ippo and I hope your roof leak isn't too bad, Onka! May we all live and speak gently.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Thank you

Doshin
    St

Thanks to all. I say next week we bark the four vows.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Only just managed to jump in and catch everyone saying goodbye. I guess I will be going back in time later this evening. Thanks to all.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Nice to see you all live for a change. I just watched/listened to the youtube videos, really beautiful to listen to, even if it did seem a bit 'evangelical'.

Gassho and (obviously) sat today lol

even did some LAH

Gentle words, like rain on moss.

gassho
    doyu sat/lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Lovely talk Jundo.
    Despite efforts of gentle speech and action I sometimes am left frustrated in my head and heart. This results in 'beating myself up' at allowing stuff to stew.
    Thanks everyone. Jakuden, the source of the leak has been identified we think :/
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    EEEee! Puppyyyy!!

I mean, thank you Jundo, Sekishi and everyone. Safe travels Ippo and I hope your roof leak isn't too bad, Onka! May we all live and speak gently.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    Thank you Jakuden and nice to talk .

Very cute puppy indeed. Thanks for sharing Sekishi.

I am glad the roof is fixed Ongka.

Thanks for being you Jundo. Zazenkai was strange to day with the music in front of me .

Have a great week all.

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday

Gong xi fa cai! Happy Chinese New Year, Treeleaf!

It was a long day of celebration here. Will sit this Zazenkai tomorrow.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and all! I deeply appreciate being able to join live. It is amazing seeing so many doing the same practice together; very encouraging. Hopefully I can keep doing so regularly -- and if not I can always "catch up" later.

Jundo, your words were very timely for me. In addition to gentle speech and action for others, I need to observe the same for myself. Been having a hard time of that lately.

Gassho,
    Ryan
    Sat Today

Thank you to all who make this possible. I’m so grateful that I can sit when I'm feeling well enough. I’m curious if there is a practice that helps shut down automatic, habitual reactions. For example, becoming quite irritated while driving. I know logically that I do not have any special rights to have the road to myself, and yet, that irritation says I expect otherwise. Do such mind habits lessen with practice, with less clinging to the self? Or do we work at it and how? Perhaps by being more mindful in general while driving? I’m less reactive in general, but I have some buttons....
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah

Quote Originally Posted by KristaB View Post
    Thank you to all who make this possible. I’m so grateful that I can sit when I'm feeling well enough. I’m curious if there is a practice that helps shut down automatic, habitual reactions. For example, becoming quite irritated while driving. I know logically that I do not have any special rights to have the road to myself, and yet, that irritation says I expect otherwise. Do such mind habits lessen with practice, with less clinging to the self? Or do we work at it and how? Perhaps by being more mindful in general while driving? I’m less reactive in general, but I have some buttons....
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah
    Hey Krista
    I'm a new practitioner and when I first started practicing Zazen one of the Treeleaf Unsui, Geika if I remember correctly suggested that I try starting the day with Shikantaza.
    I've done that every day since and it seems to increasingly set my day up nicely so that my rage-o-meter doesn't need to be used as often. Make no mistake, I'm still very capable of going from 0-100 in a second but starting my day with this gentle practice has helped a lot.
    I'd humbly suggest that you be kind to yourself and just sit with what is.
    Gassho
    Onka
    sat today/lent a hand
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you, Onka. I think that is wonderful advice. It does help to begin the day with just being instead of rushing around. I had been sitting in the morning all summer but switched to the evening as the days became darker. I will set that alarm earlier. 4:30 is just a number on the clock, right?
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Jundo, the Lion pose Zazenkai has been useful here as well. My wife feels more comfortable reclining when she sits with me now that she knows that we did an entire Zazenkai that way. So thank you for that.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you, all!

Gassho
    Kokuu

I often seem to have a full house of kids (teens and college kids) and/or family during Zazenkai.....

Ever since the first post, I've listened to Kanho's playlist on YouTube most mornings while on a bike (dr says I have to increase it now ). I love Kanho's Buddhist chants and am even getting my family to listen.

An American family watching a Japanese Buddhist monk chant in concert ..... great idea and family-friendly!

Gassho
    Meian
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Sat-a-long to Zazenkai today "to learn the ropes". Thank you all.
    My aim is to join you (a monastic 3:00am NZ time!)
    Gassho
    Chris - sat/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by reedynz View Post
    My aim is to join you (a monastic 3:00am NZ time!)
    Gassho
    Chris - sat/LAH
    Well, it is okay just to forget time and now/then, sitting with the "live" recording as well. Same same.

But I am in Japan, so why would it be 3am?? 10am start time here should be 1pm your way, Chris.

Gassho, J

STLah

Thanks Jundo. The Website calendar shows Zazenkai at 3am each week, Auckland time...
    Gassho. Sat/LAH