Thread: Wow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wow

This isn’t Zen related, but I feel it’s important for the wider Buddhist community as a whole, especially in the United States.

https://www.lionsroar.com/pema-chodr...ampaign=buffer

Gassho
    SAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow is right.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Some religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, political movements, can become cultish and bound to their leader ... even if he turns out to be a person behaving badly, destructively, criminally. Nothing will dissuade the "true believers" about the person. We had it in the Zen world about a few folks. Sometimes the leader can be both wise and charismatic in some ways, but truly harmful in other ways or below the surface.

For Shambhala, that began with Trungpa who, for all his brilliance and charm, was a mean and destructive alcoholic who used people and built a cult, their next leader (Ösel Tendzin) who knowingly infected his sexual partners with AIDS and thus committed murder ...

http://www.drbachinese.org/vbs/publi...bs228p018e.pdf

... and now this.

Pema Chodron strikes me as a decent person who, unfortunately, is connected to that group through the decades.

I always say, by the way, about Treeleaf or any religious group ... if you see any signs of any abusive behavior, cultishness or the like ... grab your sitting cushion and RUN, do not walk, for the nearest door.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-17-2020 at 11:17 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

well said, Jundo.

aprapti

std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Before I read about this today I was reading about Leonard Cohen and his teacher Joshu Sasaki who unfortunately turned out to be a serial sexual harasser. That these people are out there is just part of the problem. The other part is those who are willing to condone it, cover it up, makes excuses for it and keep following these people.

Gassho
    stLAH
    James
    Last edited by Shoki; 01-18-2020 at 02:34 AM.

I sincerely hope Ani Pema finds her way forward to peace, she is a great teacher who reaches out beyond Shambhala and was my introduction to Buddhism.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattodaylah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Yes Pena is a wonderful, inspiring teacher, writer. I wish her well.

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~