Adult life is dealing with an enormous amount of questions that don't have answers. So I let the mystery settle into my music. I don't deny anything, I don't advocate anything, I just live with it. -Bruce Springsteen-

Greetings all creatives! We are back. We took a brief hiatus to get us through ANGO, the holidays and Jukai.

The New Year brings us MYSTERY!
John Daido Loori in this chapter has us consider how mystery informs our creativity. How to look for the questions rather than the answers. And each of us who makes a mark on paper, writes a line of verse, puts together a lyrical musical measure, builds gardens or sculptures, cooks a special meal, puts thread through a needle knows about mystery. Why are we compelled to take a particular photo?

In fact, ‘creativity’ is a mystery. Lots of consciousness studies have tried to explain this astounding human trait.

One of my obsessions over the last decade or so, has been studying astronomy and astrophysics. My fascination with the cosmos has introduced me to the vast and beautiful mystery of the universe, which has made me also recognize the mystery that we all live each day. And I hope for this mystery to inform my art. (I will soon post some images of pieces I am currently working on that directly reflect my keen interest in the cosmos.)

JDL is again asking us to follow our intuition when making art. And what is intuition other than a mysterious knowing?

Please share how mystery informs your life/art. JDL generously shares his mystical experiences with us. Any to share in reference to art making?

Here's Meitou

'Don't expect, either in life or in art. Open yourself to discovery. Enjoy the mystery. '
John Daido Loori

Hello everyone and welcome to prompt 11.

Both Anne and I have taken the key word Mystery as our themes for talking about this chapter and using it as a creative prompt - within our creative framework I think mystery is easy enough to feel, to experience, but how to express it? Is it possible to grasp at this ephemeral and ineffable concept and make some kind of shape out of it? That's our challenge this time.

As Anne looks outward to the stars, so I look deep into the oceans – some of you will already know how much I am drawn to the sea, to the horizon and how often I photograph it. Abstract seascapes also inform my painting and drawing. This week I'll post something else I'm drawn to photographing – a certain drain cover just around the corner from my apartment. Why? I have never thought about it until now, or at least I've never applied any kind of analysis to what draws me to it. What do I see? This is the mystery that I'll be exploring this week.

Is there something, a theme, in your writing, photography, painting, crafting, gardening etc that you come back to again and again – something that you are constantly drawn to but when you reflect deeper, can't explain what the attraction is? Explore that this week and if you feel inclined come back here and post your findings – remember this doesn't necessarily have to be an piece of artwork or photography etc, it can also be your thoughts, a discussion.

Enjoy!

Gassho

Meitou and Anne

we both sat today