Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our January 2020 Treeleaf JUKAI (Undertaking the Precepts) CELEBRATION! -MAIN PAGE-

Our January 2020 Treeleaf JUKAI (Undertaking the Precepts) CELEBRATION! -MAIN PAGE-

The time has again arrived for our annual

JUKAI CEREMONY at Treeleaf Sangha

... to commence Sunday, January 12th at Midnight (Sunday-Monday) Japan time (that is New York 10am, Los Angeles 7am (Sunday morning), London 3pm and Paris 4pm (Sunday afternoon)). The ceremony will last about 1 hour, and will be visible from that time at the screen below:

Our 15 Preceptees come together simultaneously from 9 countries (from Mexico, Vietnam, Australia, Japan, Canada, USA, England and Scotland, and the Netherlands, plus several other folks undertaking Jukai with us for the second or more times) joining in this Jukai as one, after having spent several months preparing for this day, studying the Precepts, sewing a rakusu, weighing the place of the Buddhist Teachings in their life. As with everything at Treeleaf, all was accomplished fully online, and invite all our Sangha to the celebration. Jundo Cohen is the Preceptor.

Jukai literally means to receive or to undertake the Precepts. It is the ceremony both of one’s formally committing to the Buddhist Sangha and to the Practice of Zen Buddhism, and of one’s undertaking the “Sixteen Mahayana Bodhisattva Precepts” as guides for life. Traditionally for Jukai, one receives from a teacher the Rakusu, which represents the robe of the Buddha, the Kechimyaku, a written lineage chart connecting the recipient to the Buddhas and Ancestors of the past, and a “Dharma name” selected by the teacher and representing qualities of the recipient’s personality and practice.

My teacher, Nishijima Roshi, wrote this:

When a Buddhist seeks to commence upon the study of Buddhism, there is first a ceremony which should be undertaken: It is called “Jukai,” the “Receipt of the Precepts,” the ceremony in which one receives and undertakes the Precepts as a disciple of the Buddha… Master Dogen specifically left us a chapter entitled ‘”Jukai,” in which it is strongly emphasized that, when the Buddhist believer first sets out to commence Buddhist practice… be it monk, be it lay person, no matter… the initial needed steps include the holding of the ceremony of Jukai and the undertaking of the Precepts… The rationale of all of the Buddhist Precepts, the Mahayana Boddhisattva Precepts ... is as a pointing toward the best ways for us to live in this life, in this real world… how to live benefiting both ourselves and others as best we can.

WELCOME!

It is an honor to experience this moment with you.

Gassho, Jundo

Traditional "Three Treasures Seal" (三宝印) Representing the Bloodline

This is the poem composed and read for our Jukai by Hoshi, in Spanish and English ...

Bienvenida

Cuando el viento sopla
    se mueven, las hojas de los arboles

las hojas caidas se levantan
    las hojas marchitas se caen
    pero el viento no dice
    arriba, ni abajo

Si el viento sopla
    que se sacudan los hojas del tu corazon
    si el viento no sopla
    respira con los hojas del corazon
    y tu corazon soplara el viento

--

Welcome

When the wind blows
    the leaves of the trees move

the fallen leaves rise
    withered leaves fall off
    but the wind does not say
    up or down

If the wind blows
    let the leaves of your heart shake
    and if the wind doesn't blow
    breathe with the leaves of the heart
    and your heart will blow the wind.

Last edited by Jundo; 01-13-2020 at 12:28 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Just lovely. Congratulations to all. THANK YOU to all.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #isitdustyinhere?
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Congratulations!!!

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Congratulations and thank you all for a beautiful Jukai ceremony, welcome to your Sangha

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Congratulations everyone!

That was a beautiful ceremony!

Welcome to all of our newly precepted members!

Deep bows for your practice and commitment
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank you very much everyone, especially Jundo!! And congratulations to all who have taken the precepts the first time or renewed the vows!

Unfortunately I had to leave two way zoom during the ceremony and go to one way YouTube stream because I had great issues with the sound.

Such a lovely ceremony (although I'm glad we don't had to bow and prostrate with our rakusu on top of the head)!!!

I will never forget this experience!

Gassho

And deep bows to all of you!

Ben/Horin

Stlah

Enviado desde mi PLK-L01 mediante Tapatalk
    Last edited by Horin; 01-12-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Congratulations,
    I renewed my vows with you. I will do my best to follow them

Doshin
    St

Thank you for this lovely ceremony.
    Deep bows,
    Kotei
    sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you all. That was rather moving!

Gassho
    Gukan (!)
    ST

Beautiful! So happy to share this day together. Congratulations and thanks to all for your dedication.

Gassho
    Byokan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Congratulations everyone. I was so honored to be there with you all. It was lovely.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    I won't be participating in the ceremony live, either two way or one way. I'll participate one way around 8 or so hours later if that's ok. If it's not ok I'm ok with that too. It will not change anything in my heart except I won't have a Dharma name.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st
    I’m actually going to watch it through again around that time (11pm UK) as it will be a bit quieter here then. I had cats and neighbours going on, and lost a bit of what Jundo was saying. So you’ll very likely be doing it ‘live’ with me at least :-D

Gassho
    Gukan/Libby

Congratulations to all Jukaiees.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Congratulations everyone! So wonderful to walk this path with all of you

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deep bows and gratitude to all.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Thank you Jundo and everyone else who made this ceremony happen and helped with the preparation, it's an honour to be walking this path with you all and it was great to be able to join live for once , I just hope my small person wasn't too distracting!

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Congratulations!!!

Gassho,
    Tyler

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by EnlistedHipster View Post
    Thank you Jundo and everyone else who made this ceremony happen and helped with the preparation, it's an honour to be walking this path with you all and it was great to be able to join live for once , I just hope my small person wasn't too distracting!

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Are you kidding? I wish I had noticed during the ceremony. Kids are always welcome, and they can run around and make faces in the camera all they wish!

Gassho, Jundo Dad

STLah

Wow! We did it!!

Very glad to be with everyone this morning. It was beautiful.

Gassho,
    Hensho (formerly Kate)

satlah
    Hensho: Knitting Strands / Stranded on a Reef
    "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Your daughter was so cute! I was trying hard not to laugh and wave at her. Such a sweetie! Reminded me of my girls when they were younger.

Gassho2
    Kim. (Meian)
    St.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

I am so HAPPY!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!

And thank you especially also to Kokuu and Shinshi - deep bows to you both. Without your help, encouragement and assistance, I would not have made it to Jukai

Jundo, I was on my best behavior -- was absolutely giddy with happiness. Thank you everyone with Jundo, I'm sorry I cannot remember all names. And hugs to all Jukai family and Treeleaf family.

Gassho2
    Kim (Meian)
    St

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Are you kidding? I wish I had noticed during the ceremony. Kids are always welcome, and they can run around and make faces in the camera all they wish!

Gassho, Jundo Dad

STLah
    There was definitely some face making although I was expecting her to run off with bits of my altar or my rakusu so it could have been worse, she just sat on my lap for most of it.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Congratulations new jukaiees!

Gassho

Nenka

ST

There was definitely some face making although I was expecting her to run off with bits of my altar or my rakusu so it could have been worse, she just sat on my lap for most of it.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

When my eldest (now 18) was about 18 months old I took her to the local Thai temple for Wesak. I carried her on one arm with her facing backwards as we circumambulated the lovely altar they'd set up in the garden. Unbeknownst to me, she was reaching out for flowers every time we got close enough and steadily dismantling it over my shoulder. Oh boy. Everyone there was wonderful and thought it very sweet but I was still slightly mortified

Your daughter was a very cheerful and delightful presence during the proceedings and I'm glad you got to bring a guest

Gassho,
    Gūkan
    ST

Thank you everybody!
    This has been very important for me...!
    I had a Wi-Fi issue soon into the ceremony but could fix it also soon enough.
    From now on let's keep practicing!
    Let's practice bringing shikantaza mind off the cushion and help all beings...also let's keep practicing juggling with the Rakusu on our head...never let it fall!

Gassho.
    Hôkin.
    ST.

Thank you for leading today's ceremony. I was totes in the zone and was able to let the computer aspect fade away and I felt as one with my fellow Jukaiees. Fate meant my mentor Kotei was on my little phone screen along with Jundo so it felt very personal for me.

Thank you all who attended and shared Jukai today.

Gassho

Richard 🙏🙏🙏

Became available to attend at 10 (live was 7 here). Renewed. Realized I did not have a leaf but a notecard from my youngest granddaughter, made from trees, stood in. Congratulations to all.

gassho
    doyu sat today and cried a little bit as well.
    Visiting unsui: use salt

This was a wonderful experience! Thank you, Jundo and everyone who made this jukai special

It's taken 18 years for me to formally take the precepts and receive a Dharma Name, so this was very powerful and meaningful to me - something I didn't think I would ever get the chance to be a part of. I am so grateful!

And special thanks to Yaxkin for the beautiful poem!

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    Last edited by Kyōsen; 01-12-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Congratulations to you all; what a wonderful day!

Thank you to Jundo, the priests, my fellow unsuis and all of Treeleaf for keeping this lovely thing going for everyone who needs it.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

i enjoyed to see here..she was really sweet.

aprapti

std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Thank you very deeply Jundo, priests, Tree Leaf, and the other Jukai recipients. I don't fully understand the significance of this day yet, and I don't need to.

I will just sit .

Deep Bows to you all! I am enormously grateful.

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday

I have just undertaken this ceremony. I can't thank my partner enough for supporting me to get here. I can't find the right words to convey how I feel right now but I challenge anyone anywhere to study Jukai with Treeleaf Zendo and not see and feel the depth of our learning and the connection of our Sangha. I have just participated in one of the most beautifully radical events of my life and I'm incredibly humbled to be able to say that Jundo Cohen is my teacher and Treeleaf Zendo has welcomed me warmly into their Sangha. May I serve you all well and represent the teachings of the Ancestors with respect and gratitude.
    Thank you to all who were with me today and have supported me on this journey to date.
    Be kind to yourselves and look out for each other.
    For Anarchy and Peace.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Received Precepts today

*action shots from the ceremony

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

It was brilliant seeing the little one coming and going. It was demonstrative of what Sangha means to me... Me, you, other Treeleaf members, my family and friends, your family and friends, plus all things and people everywhere. That is Sangha to me.
    Gassho
    Onka
    st

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Beautiful photos, Onka.

Beautiful photos, Onka.

Thank you Heiso
    It was a privilege to be part of this ceremony with you and your helper.
    My regular Zazen helper slept through the whole thing as one of the photos shows. The cheek!
    It's weird perhaps but I now feel incredibly connected to everyone I shared this Jukai experience with. I also have a greater feeling of genuine warmth for all of the Treeleaf Priests, Unsui and Sangha members who helped us, guided us, prompted us, gently challenged us and supported us publicly and privately as we rode the rollercoaster that is our own journey.
    Gassho
    Onka
    sat today/received the Precepts
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I share that feeling of connection and it was lovely that my little unsui could be a part of it too.

It's a special place with special people.

Gassho

Heiso

StLah

Thank you all for making this happen and for participating. Congratulations fellow Jukaiees! I felt deeply connected to all of you and I am so happy and grateful to follow Jundo's teachings and to be part of this wonderful sangha.

Deep bows,
    Seibu
    Sattoday/lah

Lovely, congrats everyone!

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

Wonderful photos, Onka!

Great idea, too! Now you have photos to help remember this special event. I'm happy I got to take the precepts along with you

Gassho
    Kyōsen (Was "Sen")
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Hello everyone.

This weekend was a very difficult one for me and I wasn't able to be there with you... so...

CONGRATULATIONS to everyone!!! Our family gets bigger

May you always keep the Dharma alive with your practice.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Congratulations everybody!

Gassho,

Hoseki
    Sattoday

Gassho

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Our January 2020 Treeleaf JUKAI (Undertaking the Precepts) CELEBRATION! -MAIN PAGE-

Congratulations!

SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Kyōsen View Post
    Wonderful photos, Onka!

Great idea, too! Now you have photos to help remember this special event. I'm happy I got to take the precepts along with you

Gassho
    Kyōsen (Was "Sen")
    Sat|LAH
    Thank you Kyosen.
    It was lovely to see your beaming smile enjoying the ceremony.
    I asked my partner to take photos so that my Sangha sisters, brothers and others could see that I was with them fully in the ceremony, even if not live two way.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Still floating today/lah
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hello everyone.

This weekend was a very difficult one for me and I wasn't able to be there with you... so...

CONGRATULATIONS to everyone!!! Our family gets bigger

May you always keep the Dharma alive with your practice.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    I hope things are okay now Kyonin,

I had you in my heart. Thanks for all you do!

Gassho,

Ippo

Onka (aka Anna);

Your photos are inspiring. Thank you for sharing and thank you for your practice. Seeing your fortitude I am assured that you guys will beat those fires.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Gassho
    Onka
    stlah
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

May be best Jukai photos ever

Gassho
    Doyu sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you, you are thanked this is the renewal of a committee of one decided and was accepted by a committee of many. Congratulations for this is but a beginning. I was there one way. I stayed fixed on the screen. I humbly thank you for allowing me to renew my vow. My vow to follow the precepts. I began my most important task a little less than 33 years ago as I decided willingly not to take a drink of alcohol that July 22nd, 1987. Without this decision which I willingly make each day, I would not be here, and it would be as a man never existed at all. Treeleaf has taught me most about sanctity of life. And next, not to value myself above all others and today I reaffirmed my vow to do the best I can. That’s all I can ask of myself.
    Tai Shi
    sat
    Gassho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast