Thread: "Simple Living" - Chapters 51 and 52

"Simple Living" - Chapters 51 and 52

Just jump in if joining, no "catch up" ... just today is today ...

I will include chapter headings, as we discovered some differences between the US and UK editions regarding chapter order.

Chapter 51 - Think With Your Own Head - If having a hard choice to make this week, gather information and data on "pros" and "cons," weigh them intellectually for a time, then put all the thoughts and measures down, sit Zazen for a time, get up and choose. Leap into the choice. Live the choice. Hopefully, it will be the direction that receives a "green light" from both the intellect and from inner wisdom, maybe not (even Zen Masters of old were generally practical folks who knew to look before one lept off the 100 foot pool, and that too much head or too much heart alone can be a bad thing).

And if, nonetheless, if it turns out to have been a "wrong," choice with unforeseen consequences ... well, you can just reassess and fix the resulting mess from there, but at least you made a choice!

Chapter 52 - Believe in Yourself - In implementing the above choice, cast doubts aside and leap in ... toss all into the Light or Emptiness, "nothing to lose!" See what it feels like to drop doubts and just trust that things will turn out as they turn out.

And if it turns out otherwise ... well, that's just how things turn out sometimes. Dust off, start again. **

** Do me a personal favor, and try the above with a few smaller choices this week please (like maybe asking someone on a date or where to take a trip)! I would prefer not to be blamed for someone's sudden divorce, unemployment or sex change operation! Do me a favor, and start with some smaller choices and maybe work up to those big ones much much later.

Gassho, J
    STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-02-2020 at 05:17 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Will decide about painting wall in Daughters house ... Has to be scary accurate work

As for the operation ... Too late!

Gassho
    Doyu sat and lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

The interesting thing about choices is that on any given day I'm able to find the same decision good or bad, depending on my mood or some external factor. For instance if I'm missing family or feeling anxious about the future I can see my decision to move to another country as bad, and myself as hopeless in all my choices. On the other hand, if I'm feeling good about life, the sun is shining and I'm picking basil in the yard, I can feel I made a great choice and a right one. That's why the second part of this exercise is so important, because to retain confidence in my self and my choices I know I have to accept all the consequences with equanimity, and not buy into all the narratives that I allow to arise. This is one of the many great lessons I've learnt on this path and it has been a life changer.
    But yes, don't jump on the next boat out before paddling about nearer shore first!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island