Thread: December 27th-28th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

December 27th-28th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast from 10am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 8pm, Los Angeles 5pm (Friday night), London 1am and Paris 2am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible on the following screen during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST IS HERE:

ZAZENKAI BEGINS --9-- MlNUTES FROM START OF THE VIDEO

FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, A LINK TO JOIN WILL BE POSTED BELOW IN THIS THREAD. JUST CLICK AND JOIN BEFORE START TIME. 'TWO WAY' REQUIRES INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANYONE CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED::

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please join us in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra (although please keep your microphone muted). You can download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

Not everyone realizes that they can join in the Chanting of the Heart Sutra, Verse of Atonement and Four Vows (although we ask that you keep your microphone down). Please follow along with the Chant Book, and let your voice ring!

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-29-2019 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Added youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

_()_ 2 way intention

gassho
    doyu sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

If I get home in time I'll join 2 way, if not I'll join live another time.
    Gassho
    Anna
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Will sit with you all tomorrow. My husband's first evening home (and awake) with us since the annual "December Holiday Craze" (80-hour work weeks) and we're having a family night.

Gassho2
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

I got held up at work and it looks like I will be unable to get home in time to make the Zazenkai. I will sit this one over the weekend

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday /LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

You can join the Zazenkai two-way in the Scheduled Sitting Room using Zoom any one of the following ways:

- Use this direct link: https://zoom.us/j/4834831244
    - Open Zoom and join with this meeting id: 483 483 1244
    - Go to Treeleaf NOW and select the Scheduled Sitting Room: treeleaf.org/ssr

Notes:

- When you first join, you'll need to choose an audio source (usually you can simply select "Join with Computer Audio" on desktop or "Call using Internet Audio" on mobile).

- You can switch between the "speaker view" (the default view) and "gallery view" (a grid / Hollywood Squares / Brady Bunch style view):
    -- On desktop, click the "gallery view" / "speaker view" toggle button on the top right
    -- On mobile, swipe right for "gallery views" -- only 4 participants are shown at a time on mobile, so keep swiping right to go through different groups, swipe left to go back to the "gallery view"

- You can mute, unmute, etc. with the control bar on the bottom of the screen
    -- On desktop, hover the mouse over the window and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, tap the screen and the control bar should pop up
    -- On mobile, so that your own picture does not take up one of the four slots you see, you can tap for the control bar, then tap "... menu" and select "Remove myself from gallery view"

- If you are on a slow Internet connection and are experiencing drop-outs, try turning off video (you can always turn it on for a bit at the beginning and end to say hi and bow to everyone)

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone. A wonderful way to mark the passage of a cycle. Have a great weekend and new year!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Say/LAH

Thanks for walking this path with me.

Doshin
    St

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and all of Treeleaf. Happy New Year.

Gassho
    STlah
    James

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, et al. _()_

Perhaps we can tell her the sweater is hole-y?

gassho
    doyu sat/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Deep bows to all,
    Sekishi #sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Grateful.

Gassho,

Wahida

sat today

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Wonderful to sit with you all. Wishing you a very Happy New Year.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Hello, Jundo and Treeleaf,

After leaving Japan for Indonesia, since it is on the way, we decided to stay in Hong Kong for the New Year. This made it difficult for me to join live for Zazenkai as I usually do, but I am here at the hotel sitting with you a little later.

I can think of no adequate way to thank Jundo and Treeleaf for ongoing instruction and such welcoming hospitality. I hope the Zendo does enjoy the incense (it really is very serious incense and I can smell it even here!) It is from a wonderful Chinese-Indonesian Chan monastery and is meant to be a fit offering especially to Avalokiteshvara.

With deep gratitude, I hope to join again live next Saturday in January, 2020!

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you everyone and a Happy New Now!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you. Just finished sitting this Zazenkai. I don't normally celebrate New Years as such, instead choosing to spend a bit of quiet time reflecting on the year that's passed but yes, there is no start and finish point as we spin our way around the Sun. When bombarded with times, dates, ages, deadlines it's easy to become controlled by them when reality is so much more. Thank you again.
    Gassho
    Anna
    stlah
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you Jundo and everyone! With a deep gratitude to all may we welcome the new year and
    accept whatever it brings to us gladly.

Happy new year!

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Sat this one early this morning. Now off to work, going to a have a beer with coworkers after, come home for some Thai food and a video game marathon with my husband (it's a holiday tradition! ) and get to bed before midnight, probably.

See you all in the New Year! (Or, you know, next week.)

Gassho,

Nenka

ST

Thank you all, and a very happy 2020 to all of our members!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Nenka, your New Years traditions sound right up my alley! Looks like my husband and I will be doing much the same: we got Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC.

I have been simply astounded by how much of my free time has been taken up with family events and visits these past two weeks! It will be nice to finally wind down and bring on the New Year.

Happy New Year to all.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

3/4 of my family has been sick since Christmas (myself included). So we will have a quiet night of takeout food, and I teach class as usual bright and early New Year's morning.

The past while has been busy with family affairs going on, and our holiday was spread out over a few days (not one). May be why my body is in full rebellion now -- I've had no choice but to slow down and rest!

Have a lovely night, my Treeleaf family .... my daughter is food shopping, my husband is finally conscious, my teenager is texting, and I am at peace with how my aching body feels for now.

Gassho2
    Kim
    St lh

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Thank you everyone, blessings for 2020.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Satwithyoualltoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island