Thread: How Three Pure Precepts came to me

How Three Pure Precepts came to me

In the last one month or so, I have been beautifully introduced to the three pure precepts (no harm, compassion, save all sentient beings).

The first two came during weekly teacher talks. The teacher said "no indifference" or caring (for our work, for others) should be the 11th precept. This really applied to me as my attitude towards work has exactly been indifference (just do bare minimum to keep the job). I read about all the precepts and decided to follow them. I always thought sitting is more important and precepts are not needed to "make progress". But somehow this time I was naturally drawn to them.

Then in the next teacher talk, he talked about compassion and how we should forgive others mistakes as something done in ignorance and still be compassionate towards others. I realized I have a bunch of prank and unkind thoughts that keep popping up in my mind (I never act on them though). I cut some unkind jokes sometimes and feel they are just jokes. I decided to put an end to these prank thoughts and jokes. After doing this I realized how much of my mind is filled with these. I have almost nothing to think now :-). I became very silent with my wife as earlier most of what I said to her was these unkind jokes.

The third precept came to me after a retreat. I sat in a dokusan with teacher and started complaining about pain during sitting and how I have to move. I even adjusted posture three times during that dokusan. The I told him about how I did other practices for 8 years and then did zazen earlier for 3 years and then stopped and began 4 months back but made no progress after all this. He asked me why I want progress or enlightenment for. I told him I initially started this out of not being able to deal with tough people at work and in general always had the desire to "grow" and a natural interest in meditation and wanting to get enlightened. He pointed to me (in a scolding but compassionate tone) on how it is always about my enlightenment, my growth, my pain, pushing away at pain (I was complaining about pain during retreat) and explained how this practice is about others and selfless.

I realized I never thought about helping others or doing practice for others (even though I chant at the end of the morning group meditation saying "saving all beings"). It is always about my progress and what I can get. I never thought about bearing pain and acting for greater good.

Gassho,
    Sam
    st

He pointed to me (in a scolding but compassionate tone) on how it is always about my enlightenment, my growth, my pain, pushing away at pain (I was complaining about pain during retreat) and explained how this practice is about others and selfless.

He sounds like a good teacher, Sam.

Practice for the sake of others and you won't go far wrong. This is the very essence of the bodhisattva vow, although underneath there is no separation between any of this - self, others, practice, enlightenment and life itself.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

I get scolded regularly by my partner and GP for looking after and out for others at the expense of my own wellbeing, both physically and psychologically but I just can't help it, I've always been this way. I'm currently in s state of heightened anxiety and frustration because I'm no longer physically capable of being a volunteer rural firefighter so unable to help my former colleagues battle the current unprecedented bushfire conditions. This of course didn't stop me from getting blisters on my feet and smoke inhalation while fruitlessly trying to protect a neighbour from losing farming equipment in a bushfire the other day. What a twit.
    I'm glad the teachings are connecting with you Sam.
    Gassho
    Anna
    stlah
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    In the last one month or so, I have been beautifully introduced to the three pure precepts (no harm, compassion, save all sentient beings).

The first two came during weekly teacher talks. The teacher said "no indifference" or caring (for our work, for others) should be the 11th precept. This really applied to me as my attitude towards work has exactly been indifference (just do bare minimum to keep the job). I read about all the precepts and decided to follow them. I always thought sitting is more important and precepts are not needed to "make progress". But somehow this time I was naturally drawn to them.

Then in the next teacher talk, he talked about compassion and how we should forgive others mistakes as something done in ignorance and still be compassionate towards others. I realized I have a bunch of prank and unkind thoughts that keep popping up in my mind (I never act on them though). I cut some unkind jokes sometimes and feel they are just jokes. I decided to put an end to these prank thoughts and jokes. After doing this I realized how much of my mind is filled with these. I have almost nothing to think now :-). I became very silent with my wife as earlier most of what I said to her was these unkind jokes.

The third precept came to me after a retreat. I sat in a dokusan with teacher and started complaining about pain during sitting and how I have to move. I even adjusted posture three times during that dokusan. The I told him about how I did other practices for 8 years and then did zazen earlier for 3 years and then stopped and began 4 months back but made no progress after all this. He asked me why I want progress or enlightenment for. I told him I initially started this out of not being able to deal with tough people at work and in general always had the desire to "grow" and a natural interest in meditation and wanting to get enlightened. He pointed to me (in a scolding but compassionate tone) on how it is always about my enlightenment, my growth, my pain, pushing away at pain (I was complaining about pain during retreat) and explained how this practice is about others and selfless.

I realized I never thought about helping others or doing practice for others (even though I chant at the end of the morning group meditation saying "saving all beings"). It is always about my progress and what I can get. I never thought about bearing pain and acting for greater good.

Gassho,
    Sam
    st

Hi Sam,

I just wanted to say a fair bit of what you wrote resonates with me as well. I feel that impulse to try to improve all the time. Honestly, its probably caused more grief for me than anything else. I used to pick something up (e.g. playing the banjo) but after a little bit without enough development I would get frustrated and eventually quit. I wasn't really able to accept being not very good even though, to quote a tv character, "suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.” I think its the same thing with zazen. We just have to accept this is the way things are right now.

As for the cruel jokes, I deal with that as well. I think the important takeaway is that we are not our thoughts. Those thoughts are the result of a brain with a particular structure(s) in a particular environment both of which are the results of past conditions. In someways they are reflections of the store consciousness (if that makes sense.)

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Gassho
    sattoday
    Hoseki

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you all for your wise words. I had a natural liking to sitting but never expected to connect with precepts. I'm glad to see it happen

Gassho,
    Sam
    st

Thank you for sharing your lessons with us, Sam! Deep bows.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, lovely.

And even if not during our "official" Jukai season, you might consider to jump into some of our Precept readings and reflections ... found here ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...glen-Too%21%29

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I find keeping an eye out for people who you can help while your on the go to be really helpful for nurturing the seeds of compassion. My office is in a hospital with poor signage so when I'm walking here or there I keep an eye out for people needing directions or some other kind of help.

Just a thought.

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday